Picking Up the Pieces - Cover

Picking Up the Pieces

Copyright© 2011 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 15

Friday, September 28 - Saturday September 29

With the push to finish up Dithyran's Probe and at least get a glance at Swordsman of Atlantis, Dave had enough to keep him busy the rest of the week, along with some other loose ends on the move. He was aware his mother and Shae had talked back and forth with Emily once or twice, but wasn't clear on details. Shae kept telling him everything was all coming together nicely with few problems, nothing he need concern himself with, and he was busy enough that he took her word for it.

It seemed to work pretty well. At one point, he happened to realize that while he'd been worrying about getting his stuff to Bradford, he hadn't thought at all about getting his mother, his boys, and himself there. But, when he mentioned it to his mother, she said not to worry, they were bringing an extra vehicle from Bradford so they could ride back. "You are thinking of everything, aren't you?" he asked.

"We try to," his mother said slyly.

One of the items he did overhear was that Eve was going to be showing up for dinner after she wrapped up her office hours on Friday. That meant dinner started a bit late, but it was nice to see her when she arrived, bringing a surprise with her -- her husband John.

Dave had heard a lot about John from both Eve and Shae, and for that matter, from Emily and a couple others back in Bradford. In spite of the fact he'd come to respect and like Eve a lot, Dave had wondered more than a bit about what kind of guy would marry a transsexual, knowing his spouse had once been a boy. Dave didn't like to think of himself as a homophobe or anything, but he was staunchly heterosexual, and it gave him an uneasy feeling. But, on thinking about it a little, he figured not everyone was wired the way he was, and Eve, with her specialty, was probably more aware of it than most.

John proved to be dark-haired, rather slender, and only a little bit taller than his wife. He seemed to be on the shy side and willing to let others carry the conversation, only adding to it sparingly, but he was warm and had a good smile. In the first minute or two of introduction, Dave told him he appreciated John letting his wife help him out as much as she had over the past couple weeks. "That's what she does, and I'm used to it," he smiled. "We have an agreement: she lets me wear the pants in the family except when she wants to do something else. When that happens, she does it whether I like it or not." It told Dave right from the beginning that John had a pretty good sense of humor, if nothing else.

Although Dave had had phone calls with Eve every night or two over the past few days, it was the first time in nearly two weeks they'd had the chance for a face-to-face therapy session. After dinner, just for the sake of a little privacy, they went down to the parking lot, where he discovered that she and John had driven their minivan; on a cool and windy evening, it made a good place to sit out of the wind and talk things out. Toward the end of the session, Eve admitted, "Dave, PTSD hit you harder than I expected, but realistically, I think you're coming back well, if a little more slowly than I'd hoped. But then, you've had extra problems with the massive changes in your life this is bringing, so obviously you're going to have some stress. While I think you could probably have worked it out here in the city all right, I think being back in Bradford for a while will give you some perspective."

"Eve, I don't know how I would have made it without you," he said honestly.

"Dave, you'd have made it somehow," she said. "Your feeling of responsibility for your boys would have forced you to. Dave, this doesn't have to be our last session, you know. It's no big trick for me to run over here most evenings, so we can get together when you're in town. And you know my phone number, so call if you need me. I'll probably call from time to time myself, and if I happen to get somewhere nearby, I'll stop in."

"Eve, you're too kind to me."

"Nonsense," she said. "Besides, you're already paying me back the favor."

That one stopped Dave for a second, until it struck him: "You're talking about Shae, right?"

"Yes," she sighed. "I may be stepping over the line to say this, but she has been distressed about her inability to conquer these issues she has in her personal life, and it's bothered me, as well, because I owe her so much. Dave, she told me quite early on about her hopes with you. I tried to be negative, for I agree with you about it being much too soon. I think you're probably right in backing off a little from her. I have to say, right now, I don't think either of you are in a good position to build a relationship with each other. That's not to say you won't get to good positions given time, and this move buys you time. I really hope for the both of you that it'll work out, but you must allow yourselves the possibility that it won't."

"That was my gut feeling from the minute she brought it up," he replied. "In the long run, it has a lot of potential. In the short run, well, Julie gets mixed up in it, and it could easily louse things up."

"Your gut was feeling pretty good on that one," she smiled. "Very often, when someone loses a loved one in a major trauma, they turn to the first available person to fill the hole, and often it does not work out very well. It says good things that you recognize the danger." She stopped, and let out a long sigh. "Dave, Shae is my best friend, and I literally owe her my life. At the same time, I've come to like you a lot. I'll be talking to both of you, and I hope it works for you. I think it will, and I'll help if needed. But if I think you're heading for trouble, I'll tell you, too."

"Honestly, Eve, I can't ask for much more than that."

"I think you're going to be all right," she smiled. "While there will be bad times to come, there will also be good times, like the concert the other night. Learn from the bad times and look for the good times."


They spent the evening just sitting around and being friendly. It turned out that John and Eve had quite a story to tell about their trip to Russia to pick up Sergei and Milla -- in fact, the plan was to pick up just Sergei, but they discovered a poignant situation at the orphanage. Milla's planned adoption had fallen through, and a change in regulations was going to make future adoptions more difficult. The little girl had a captivating smile, and at the last possible instant they'd decided to come home with two kids, rather than the one they'd been prepared for. It was obvious they were doting parents and lavished a lot of love and attention on their kids; Dave understood very well how it worked.

They went to bed early; their understanding was the people from Bradford would arrive very early so they could take advantage of the lighter early-morning traffic. If they could get a good start, they hoped to finish up the move out of the apartment in one day.

Even the boys were already up at a quarter to six the next morning when they heard the outside bell and Emily's voice on the speaker. In a few minutes, she was in the apartment -- but bringing a surprise: Dayna, and Vicky Varney, well, MacRae, now, since her remarriage. She was carrying a baby carrier with a very small baby. "Good to see you, Vicky," he smiled. "I see Emily roped you in."

"No big deal," Vicky smiled. "I'm just glad to be part of this shindig."

"We worked out that Vicky is going to watch the kids," Shae explained. "That's why they're up, so we can introduce them. Eve, JoAnne, and I all have things we need to be doing at Battery Park. We might as well get moving. All of us from here are going to go in John and Eve's minivan, which will cut the vehicles down a little."

"Might as well," he said, beginning to realize there had been a lot more planning involved than he'd been led to believe. It was just as well; he'd been dreading this day, and what it would mean, for it held every promise of being the most painful one yet. The sooner it was over with the better he would like it.

They trooped downstairs to the parking lot and headed to the McClellan minivan -- except for Dayna and Emily, who walked to a tiny Geo Metro parked a couple spaces away. Dave was silently wondering about that, as he'd expected a rental truck, but Dayna explained it away in an instant. "We figured it was a little tight to get the rig in here, so we just came over to get you. I'll give them a call on the cell phone so they can follow us."

"Shae, why don't you drive?" Eve offered. "You know where you're going better than I do."

"No big deal, we'll take the Queens Expressway and the tunnel; that'll just about get us there anyway."

Dave settled into the back seat of the minivan. "It'll probably be good to have some extra hands," he said dejectedly, feeling himself slide downward at the prospect of what was to come. At least they were going to approach through the tunnel, where he wouldn't be able to see as much.

"That's what we thought," Shae said. "The more, the merrier, and the quicker. Let's get moving."

It was a quiet ride over there; it was early and the traffic was still light for a Saturday, so they made good time, but Dave wasn't paying attention. A couple times he glanced back and noticed a rental truck and figured it held the rest of the group. Once they were out of the tunnel, there was too much to see. He kept his eyes down, trying to deny the reality again, and was barely aware of Shae pulling into a parking area on the downriver side of the building, near the loading docks.

As they got out, the Geo pulled in next to them -- and behind them, a big blue and white Winnebago motor home pulled in as well, the words Second Home lettered on the fender. Doors opened on the motor home, and to his surprise people began piling out: Emily's husband Kevin, Sandy, his classmates Aaron Heisler and Scott Tyler, and a dark, handsome woman he hadn't met but realized he'd heard about: Scott's wife Sonja. "Wow, I didn't expect to see all of you," he said in awe. "I guess Emily must have been busy."

"It was no trick finding people," Emily smiled. "In fact, when we decided to bring Dayna and Sandy's motor home, we decided we'd better hold the number of people down. It'll only sleep so many. We left after work last night and drove all night."

"But ... where's the truck?"

"Not here yet," Emily smiled. "It'll be here later. Shae, you're running this part, what do we do?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.