Dulcie and Mannie - Cover

Dulcie and Mannie

Copyright© 2011 by Tedbiker

Chapter 5

Rosie made her decision. Actually, she'd really made it before, but she wanted to make sure Dulcie approved ... or, at least, didn't disapprove. She was nervous, half wondering if she would be angry or disappointed. But when she tentatively stammered out her desire, Dulcie merely smiled reminiscently, saying, "Just remember, the ceremony is just that. I'm fairly sure you're already married in your heart and mind ... aren't you?"

Rosie blushed and nodded.

"And if you still want to be a social worker as you said, you need to make sure you keep taking your pills, and keep working in school."

"Oh, I do ... but I admit my ... priorities have changed a little, recently."

Dulcie laughed. "Yes, I can believe that. And Rosie ... don't be a stranger." She stood, thinking there was little more to say, but Rosie rose to her feet and moved to embrace her.

Holding her, she said, "Dulcie, You've been mother, friend and big sister to me. I can't tell you how much you mean to me. But I do want to say ... I love you."

Dulcie was touched by the sincerity in Rosie's voice. "I know it, but it's nice to hear you say it. I love you too, and so does Peter. We'll miss you."

It would not be reasonable to expect everything to go without a hitch. The first hitch occurred when Rosie rolled up at school. It seemed that the 'no jewelry' rule, that Rosie had not been aware of and which previously had been irrelevant, included engagement rings. Rosie ... very reluctantly ... removed it and, later, used a piece of string to suspend it from her neck, between her breasts.

She looked the Head in the eyes and asked bluntly, "and will this rule apply to a wedding ring?"

He snorted and said, "I don't think that's relevant to our discussion, is it, Miss Felton?"

"Not right now, sir, no. But when I marry in March, you can be sure I won't take that ring off, whatever your rules."

"You're getting married in March?"

"Yes, sir. The Saturday after my birthday."

"And why would that be?"

"Well, sir, I may be wrong, but I think the usual reason for getting married is that a couple are in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together."

"I don't think there's any need for sarcasm, young lady."

"No? Well, sir, unless you have anything else to say, I think I ought to be getting some work done."

"Go." He waved a hand at the door as if weary of the conversation.

Dulcie was first surprised, then annoyed and finally angry when Rosie told her what had happened., but by the morning her mood had cooled sufficiently for her to make an appointment to see the head teacher...

He rose to greet her as she entered his office. "Mrs ... Reverend..." he stumbled over his words as he held out his hand.

"Either will do," Dulcie told him with a slight smile. The appointment had been made in the name of 'Mrs. Hanson', but she'd worn what she thought of as her 'Ministerial Outfit', a dark blue suit with a clerical collar in the light blue shirt.

"Very well, er, Mrs. Hanson," after all, that's the name she'd given when requesting the appointment, "what can I do for you?"

"You may not be aware that I foster two of your female pupils,"

"Oh?"

"Of course, as they're over sixteen, that now has no legal significance, but they've chosen to stay with my husband and myself and we think of them as family."

"I understand..." he didn't say, 'so what has that to do with me?' out loud.

"I think you can understand that in my position I take great care of the ... moral aspects of their lives and relationships."

"Oh?"

"So I was concerned ... very, deeply concerned ... when in your interview with Rosalyn yesterday, she inferred ... received a strong impression ... that you assumed she needed to get married. I am sure, of course, that she was quite mistaken in her inference?" She raised an eyebrow in query at the Headmaster

He was looking uncomfortable, "Why, yes, of course."

"Because," Dulcie continued, "I know her fiancé, and I thoroughly approve of him. In fact, if it were not for the legal matter of consent, I would happily have married them as soon as he proposed. They are both mature, responsible young people and I have no doubt they have as much chance – if not more – of making a happy and long-lasting marriage as anyone I know. Now, Mr. Styles. Have you had any concerns at all about my charge? Behaviour? Commitment to work? Achievement?"

"Why, no ... I mean ... there's a great many students here, so I wouldn't necessarily hear of minor problems..."

"Well, Mr. Styles, the reports we have received and the grades on the work that she's done, indicate that she's likely to achieve at least three 'A's or possibly 'A' stars. Her fourth subject either a 'B' or an 'A'. She needs an 'A' and two 'B's for her place at University to train as a social worker. An admirable ambition, I think."

"Mrs. Hanson ... Reverend. You have made your point. I would not like to lose such a promising student and it would be a pity to disrupt her schooling, should she feel it necessary to study elsewhere. I will discuss this with my colleagues and see if we can make an exception. I think I can promise it for the wedding band, which is unlikely to raise an issue as a precedent. I apologise to you and, if Miss Felton would like to call in to this office, I will apologise to her personally for the misunderstanding."

Dulcie rose and smiled. "Thank you, Mr. Styles. I'm glad we had this conversation."

They shook hands, and Dulcie left.

It was felt (discussed in a staff-meeting a couple of weeks later) that an engagement ring could not be permitted, as it was too possible for other girls to claim they were engaged in order to circumvent the rule, but there would, when the situation arose, be no questions raised about her wedding band.

The flat rental was agreed and Mannie moved in; his parents helped him collect a few items from storage. Not much, it was a furnished flat.

As they finished, he cleared his throat. "I, er ... Mom, Dad. I've got some news."

"Good or bad?" his father asked.

"That depends on your point of view. Actually, two bits of news. You were always wanting me to go to college ... I've got an application in for Sheffield Uni. Librarianship..."

"Well, that's good news, isn't it? There's still your College fund in the bank, so you shouldn't have any money problems."

"I ... well ... I'm getting married."

Long pause. Very long pause. Silence as his parents assimilated what he'd said.

"Okay ... so who is she?" That was his mother; his father was frowning.

"Her name is Rosalyn Felton, but mostly people call her Rosie, and she lives with the Hansons. I, er..."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.