Altrusia
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2011 by Lxndr

"Looks like we survived the night," her father said. "And daylight came back after all." He smiled down at Veronica. "Guess you worried for nothing," he said, winking. He poked his head out of the cave's mouth. "Oh, and looks like we've got a loyalist," he smiled, pointing at an Appaloosa that was grazing on weeds outside the cave's mouth.

He grabbed his rope, and soon after took the colt down. "Go on and get your saddle and bags," he said. Immediately, she looked "If they're torn, Ronnie, we can make do."

She trudged along the muddy, grassy plain in what she hoped was the direction of where her horse was taken down by the strange bird-things. Eventually, she caught a glimpse of the bones, and slogged her way over there. Sure enough, her father was right - the animals had somewhat savaged the saddle and the bags. But they were still useable, especially with a patch here and there.

When she finally returned to the cave, her mother welcomed her. "Name the horse this time," she said. "A horse with no name is a bad omen."

She bowed her head. "Yes, Ma."

He threw Veronica's saddle on it. "Well, what are you going to name her?"

Veronica thought on this for some time. "Annie."

"A good name." Her father looked about. "So, what do you say we take a gander around this new stomping ground of ours? Syd, Ronnie, you up for it?"

"Of course, da!" Ronnie was really interested in seeing more of what appeared to be their new home.

Her mother had that panicked look in her eyes again, like a horse about to bolt. Then she put on a brave face and, with a glance at Ronnie, she smiled. "Yes, of course." Her mother seemed false, empty - it was as if a changeling had come and taken her mother away.

"Excellent!" Her father clearly didn't seem to notice. "Then let's ride."

Veronica's tummy started growling. "Da? I'm hungry."

He frowned. "So'm I, Ronnie. Still, there should be food to be found. Something's got to keep that beastie your Ma shot the other night fed, right?"

"Right, Da!"

Her mother piped in, "We still have some jerky and trail mix, too. I don't want to eat anything from this accursed place."

Soon enough, they were riding. Then, Veronica saw a shape at the edge of her vision. "Da, what is that?" To her, it looked like a large, black needle sticking up in the air.

"I don't right know," he answered. "Let's take a gander."

He spurred his horse to ride towards the strange shape. Veronica and her mother followed, choking on the dust his horse kept putting up.

When they finally arrived at the obelisk - it was twice as tall as her father, and wider at its base than a horse. It was as black as death, and had strange symbols carved into it. It stood on the edge of the forest - the trees seemed to start up immediately beyond it. "What is it, Martin?"

"I can't say," he said. "What do you think, Ronnie?"

Veronica couldn't pull her eyes away from the obelisk. "I'm not sure, Da." It was beautiful; it looked easy to get lost in the darkness. She turned away, hoping not to lose herself. "I think it may be evil."

Her mother shuddered. "This whole place reeks of Satan."

"Oh, come now," her father said, dismounting from the horse. "You see darkness everywhere, Sydney. Learn to look on the bright side."

"The BRIGHT side? Where's the bright side in being trapped in an odd, strange land that seems to be stocked with Satan's creations?"

As if to underline her point, the strange spined rhinoceros appeared at the edge of their vision. It simply stood there, grazing on some weeds.

"Ach," her father said. "He's harmless."

"How do you KNOW?"

"I don't," he said, grinning. "I've just got to go with my gut. Isn't it great?"

The look Veronica's mother gave him verged on murderous. "We aren't going to find any food here." She looked at the spiny thing. "Perhaps we should kill that."

Veronica felt a thrill of fear. She didn't want to eat that, she didn't even want to see it hurt. It was so peaceful, so majestic. She couldn't stop herself from blurting out an objection. "No!"

Her father looked over at her, quizzical. "Why not?"

"It's not hurting anyone, Da."

"Well, neither do pigs or chickens, and you love your bacon and eggs." That was her mother, sounding testy.

"Oh, leave her be, treacle," her father said. "Let's see what else we can find. Mayhap we can even find some water - I don't know about you, but I'm getting thirsty."

"So am I, Da."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.