David and Bathsheba - Cover

David and Bathsheba

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 14

It was two weeks later that Clive called Tom in. He was in a jovial mood although Tom noted that, as usual, it did not extend to his eyes.

"Sit yourself down, Tom. I've got good news. We've been short-listed for the oil job."

"Great!" exclaimed Tom and meant it.

"Well, you can take all the kudos for that. Your outline plans were first rate and, I gather, their chief engineer was rooting for you."

"Did anyone else submit plans?"

"Yes but I gather they were pretty sketchy. We were the only people to visit the site."

Tom nodded. "They don't sound all that keen. I wonder why."

"So do I. Possibly they don't believe it will ever come off."

"That oil company doesn't start a ball rolling that's not going to hit the skittles."

"I agree, Tom. However, the CEO and the board want us to continue to go for it energetically."

"Good!"

"So, as we discussed a fortnight or so ago, I'd like you to take the other section leaders and whoever else they think they need back up to the site to make sure we've got all the information we need to get ahead on the plan to submit with the tender."

Tom smiled inwardly. This was all good sense but it also suited Clive's plans, whatever they were, for Briony.

"Yes. Presumably you'll be calling a planning meeting."

"Indeed I will but the reason for talking to you now, Tom, is that I'd like you to lead and coordinate the trip. Are you happy with that?"

"Certainly, Clive."

Clive beamed and Tom noted that this time his eyes reflected his pleasure.

"How long do you think you'll need?"

"Variable. The road, air and rail links need more work done on them. So does sewage and waste disposal. The electricians will need to check on local capacity and supply. I aimed off with the place supplying its own electricity but I doubt the Scottish Electricity Board would be too happy with that."

"No."

"I don't think there'll be too much to do on the building side but the architects should certainly see the area so that they can do their best to make this eyesore blend in. There's going to be uproar from the conservationists."

"Not our problem."

"So, a Monday to Friday should do for the builders and architects plus another week for the rest."

"That was my guess. Tom, as coordinator I'd like you to stay up there for the duration."

"Yes of course."

"Right. I'll get the section heads in at two."

Tom went back to his office and closed the door behind him.

"We've been short-listed for the oil job," he told Susie.

She clapped her hands with pleasure and excitement. "Brilliant!" she exclaimed. "Well done, Tom!"

"Guess what though. I've got to take another team up for a fortnight for a more detailed recce. I knew it would happen but it'll give Mr Slime another chance to approach Briony."

"Oh Lord! What are you going to do about that?"

"A number of things. I've hired a security guy, as you know, so I'll wind him up into full protective mode. Then I'm going to have a word with the chairman."

"What?"

"He and his wife are great friends of Angela Wheeler's parents so he knows all about Mr Slime. I'm going to suggest to him that I only pretend to go up to Scotland and instead sit quietly at home to confront the swine if and when he turns up on our doorstep."

Susie looked at him wide eyed. "Isn't that a bit risky? He might try and check up on you."

"He didn't on the last trip but I'll have to take some people into my confidence anyway. If he tries to get me on my mobile I shall always be down by the loch and out of contact. Whoever he then rings can tell him that and that they will get me to ring him back which I can then do from home."

"Do you trust people to do that?"

"I've got to and I think I can. He's hardly the most popular director we've had. If he does get suspicious and starts throwing his weight about the chairman will soon deal with him."

"You've got this all worked out, haven't you?"

"I've had a while to think about it."

"Yes, I suppose you have. Oh Tom, this is horrid for you both."

Tom nodded. "Not much fun but it may lead to the end of it."

"You really believe that this intelligent, career conscious man would take such a risk?"

Tom nodded again. "Angela does and no one else knows him better than she does."

It was Susie's turn to nod which she did thoughtfully. "Oh, Tom," she murmured sadly adding through clenched teeth, "I almost hope he does do something stupid and then you and Briony will be shot of him, not to mention us."

Tom smiled gently at her. "Thanks, Susie," he said quietly. "Our feelings as well."

He rang the chairman's office. "Good morning, Stephanie. Any chance of ten minutes with Sir Nigel this morning?"

"He's got Mr Herbert with him at the moment, Mr Clifford. I don't think they'll be long. May I give you a ring when he's free?"

"Yes, of course. Thank you, Stephanie."

Tom and Susie got on with their work in silence. Half an hour or so later Stephanie rang.

"He's free," she said, "and I'll keep him free if you like to come up now."

"I'm on my way. Thanks, Stephanie."

When he arrived Stephanie smiled sympathetically. "Go on in," she said.

Tom knocked and did so. Sir Nigel rose smiling from his chair and led Tom to the informal area.

"Further developments, I presume," he said.

"Yes, sir."

Tom told Sir Nigel of Clive's restrained behaviour at the company dance and of Briony's continued misgivings.

"As expected," he went on, "with the news of the tender short-listing he now wants me to lead another more detailed recce up to Scotland."

"Ah," murmured Sir Nigel understandingly.

"I'm pretty certain that if he's going to make a move it's going to be while I'm away. Now, I don't doubt that Brian will do his job but Briony is going to be acutely aware of the situation and worried. She could take leave and go to her parents but frankly, sir, I'd like to get this business over and done with once and for all."

"I'm sure you would and so you want me to endorse your pretending to go up to Scotland while you actually stay at home to comfort and help guard Briony."

Tom looked at him in amazement and then smiled. "Yes, sir."

"That means you're going to have to take a lot of people into your confidence."

"Yes it does."

"You could cut the number down if you actually went up to Scotland and then received a phone call the next day to say that there was a domestic crisis and that you needed to fly back immediately. You could brief the other section heads but everyone else would be none the wiser."

Tom thought quickly. "That's a much better idea, sir. Thank you very much."

"OK, Tom. You do that and please keep me up to speed."

"I will indeed, sir, and thank you very much."

"Good luck and keep that sweet girl safe."

"You bet I will, sir."

Tom went back to his office and told Susie what had gone on.

"Wow!" she said. "You've got a very powerful ally and that idea of his is great."

The meeting at two was quickly over. Clive parroted what Tom had told him that morning, told them to get their heads together and let him know their plan. Nick and Greg joined Tom in his office. Once again it did not take long to come up with a plan of what needed looking at in greater detail, chiefly road and rail alignment and electricity supply. There was one addition to Tom's original plan: the hire of a helicopter for quick and easy access along the rail and road approaches. They decided to deploy a fortnight on Monday.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.