David and Bathsheba - Cover

David and Bathsheba

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 8

As they were getting ready for bed Briony asked Tom whether he was aware that Susie did not much like Clive.

"No," Tom replied. "We've never talked about him probably because she knows that I would never be disloyal about him to one of my section. What's he done to upset her?"

"Suggested that after West Africa she might have a crush on you."

"That's pretty cheeky." He chuckled. "I know what might have set him off though. The first Monday after it all she was absolutely bubbling because Rory hadn't been the least bit iffy with her over the weekend and for the first and only time gave me a welcoming hug and a kiss. Clive saw her."

"Put two and two together and made five. It's still no business of his though."

"No, none at all."

They got into bed. Briony's eyes were sparkling with mischief. "Do you want me to go and see if Susie wants to come and kiss you goodnight?"

Tom flung back the duvet and whipped Briony across his thighs. "You are a very disrespectful young woman," he said and gave her two gentle smacks on her bottom.

"Ooh! Ooh!" she squeaked. "I'm sowwy."

Tom lay back pulling her up with him. "Show me," he ordered.

She very, very gently kissed his lips. "I love you, my Tom-Tom," she said softly. "Very, very much." Her hands went to hold his head and she kissed him passionately before sliding down his body and laying her head on his chest. His arms went round her.

"You're going to get cold," he said.

She wriggled down, retrieved the duvet and resumed her position. "Not now I'm not."

And that was how they fell asleep.

They were both still in their dressing-gowns when Susie and Rory appeared in the kitchen fully dressed. Briony cooked them a proper breakfast.

"Can't have you fainting from starvation on the streets of Pitsbury," she said.

"Any suggestions for lunch?" asked Rory.

"The Trout," replied Tom. "It's on your way to Stonehenge and does everything from bar snacks to a full blown lunch. I'll lend you a map to help you find your way back here as well."

When Susie and Rory had departed Briony took Tom's hand. "I fell asleep last night before I was able to show you how much I love you," she said. She pulled him back upstairs. Rather later that morning they did actually do some real gardening.

After a light lunch the two went back to tidying up the back garden. At about half past four Susie and Rory returned, radiant. They had enjoyed Pitsbury and in particular the cathedral. They had both been impressed by the baguettes at the Trout too.

"They were so crisp that the roof of my mouth is sore though," complained Susie.

Tom and Briony were unsympathetic.

"Stonehenge though!" exclaimed Rory. "I thought I'd just be impressed by the huge stones but the history and the unanswered questions..."

"I'm not sure the Preselli theory is right," said Susie. "I'd put my money on the Irish Glacial whatever and that they found the stones closer. Even so, whew!

"You must have been there," added Rory, "but, despite the crowds, didn't you feel something spiritual almost?"

Tom nodded.

"Yes," replied Briony. "Not the same as being in a Christian place of worship but yes, didn't I just."

She smiled at Tom who nodded again.

Briony chuckled. "We're a couple of Church of England pagans."

The rest of the weekend passed happily. Rory and Susie, with the thought of a third night in the same bed, decided to stay until Monday morning. Rory would drive her and Tom to Pitsbury station, where Tom's car still was, and Briony would drive into work as usual.

Tom and Susie each bought a paper at the station and respected each other's silence. As they walked into the office together though Susie turned to Tom.

"I've been thinking," she said.

"Oh Lord!" Tom smiled at her. "Go on."

"Surely the Navy or the Ministry of Defence has detailed charts of the water we're looking at and they'll be a lot more accurate than we will with a couple of amateurs in two boats."

Tom looked at her for a moment and then smiled again, this time with pleasure rather than teasing.

"Of course! Well done, Susie! Idiot me! Why didn't I think of that? Actually, Edward Robson's probably got a chart already. I'll give him a ring. Bless you, my love. What would I do without you?"

Clive walked past the door at that moment and heard the last two sentences and Susie's delighted chuckle. He smiled. It sounded as though Tom was not as close to Briony as they would have the world believe.

Tom got on to Edward who did indeed have a chart but said that he was bound by copyright. He gave Tom the particulars of the department from which he could obtain a chart and also the name and number reference. Tom amended his list for the recce party and ordered a chart. Susie cancelled the boats and sonar equipment

Clive did annual appraisals for all his staff. His predecessor had done the same and Clive also found it a useful way to find out the thoughts of all of his directorate. There was generally little but he did occasionally pick up snippets which were useful for exerting leverage.

Today he was seeing Margaret Tennant, a divorcée in her thirties, who was a steel specialist. Tom had written her a glowing report and recommended a course in architecture on which she was very keen.

Clive adopted his charm mode asking her to sit in one of the armchairs and offering her coffee which she declined.

"Should I be flattered, Margaret?" he smiled. "You're particularly well turned out today. I like your blouse very much."

Margaret smiled back. "No," she said. "It's my Monday blouse but I'm glad you like it."

"Well now, Margaret, it's quite clear that Tom thinks very highly of you."

Margaret smiled gratefully.

"On the other hand you didn't really have a major role to play in the famous hospital."

"Yes, I did."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Please explain."

"The entrance portico was entirely steel and glass. It was a challenge to meet the architect's design with a steel framework that was sufficiently strong but at the same time did not take away from the look of lightness of the structure."

"Yes, of course." Clive contrived an apologetic laugh. "If nothing else I should have remembered that. Forgive me."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.