David and Bathsheba
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Everything went back to normal pending the trial. There was a rumour of a possible major new project in Scotland but no more than that.

Susie came prancing in the following Monday morning. "Rory would like to meet you," she said to Tom.

"I'd like to meet him. Has he got wheels?"

"Yes, why?"

"Well why don't you both come down for the weekend? I know we haven't got anything on and Briony would love to see you again."

"That sounds a super idea but do you mind if I run it by him first?"

"Do. I wouldn't expect you not to. What I suggest is that he picks you up from here and I'll hitch a lift with you to show you the way. The last bit's quite complicated, lots of little windy lanes."

"OK."

Susie rang Rory at lunchtime and he approved the plan.

"Great," said Tom. "I'll warn Briony off this evening."

On Thursday Clive called Tom in.

"Tom, one of the major oil companies reckons it has found a large reserve off the west coast of Scotland. It also has its eyes on the Arctic."

Tom nodded.

"They want to build a port somewhere, I don't know where exactly, on the northwest coast of Scotland. They've got a meeting in London next Wednesday at ten to give the outline to companies that might do the job for them. I'd like you to go."

"Sure. Are you coming too?"

"No. I suspect our competitors will be sending directors who will not be switched on engineers. OK, I've got an engineering background but you are a real professional and I think we would gain kudos for that. You should also be able to get ahead of the competition. Don't be too clever though. It might give the others ideas."

Tom grinned. "Got you, boss."

Even so he was puzzled as he went back to his office. Why didn't they both go, he and his director? Surely that would show more respect or the importance the company placed on the project. He turned back.

"Clive, I'm not entirely happy representing the company on my own. I'm perfectly happy to attend and do my bit but don't you think you ought to be there as well to show how much we value being considered."

Clive smiled. Again it was humourless which Tom noted. "Only one representative has been invited. Rather you than me. If asked I had a previous engagement which I was unable to change."

"Ah! OK, I understand."

He did not. It seemed to him that the company was not showing sufficient appreciation at being invited to what at this stage would only be an outline of the project. He wondered at Clive's motives. His distrust in the man intensified. Briony was right. Mr Slime was becoming a more apt nickname as time went on.

He went to the meeting and his misgivings were realised. He was politely received but it was clear that a director had been expected, not just a senior engineer. Tom listened and accepted all the handouts. He took in who the competitors were. He also made a point of going up to the oil company's chief engineer, who was present, after the meeting.

"I think my company may have made a cock-up by sending a mere engineer to this meeting," he said with an engaging smile.

"I think it might," grinned Edward Robson. "I'm honoured to have been allowed to attend myself. I suspect the only reason was that the white collars thought I might be able to field a fast one."

"Too early to bowl fast ones," replied Tom. "Look, we've got a largish scale map and the requirement for umpty-ump facilities and are required to make a guesstimate on that. It doesn't make sense. One could be a couple of million either side."

"Yes."

Tom sensed he had found an ally and realised that Clive may not have been as stupid as he had thought.

"Look, Edward," he said. "It would make much more sense if we were to send a small team up to the site for a week or so to have a really good sniff round. We need to look at the geology, the water depths and so on not to mention the environmental aspects. The nimbies and the Greens will go wild."

Edward nodded. "You're right. There's not a building within five miles. I'll send you details of the Bed and Breakfast places we've used but you'll still need to take provisions or you'll starve. You'll need to hire vehicles too. I'll tell you who we used. They were very reasonable."

"Thanks, Edward." They exchanged business cards with telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.

The meeting was followed by lunch in the directors' dining room. Edward had not been invited and so Tom was on his own again. The oil firm director asked him why Clive had not come.

"He said he had another important engagement which he couldn't cry off."

"I see. Well, give him my regards and tell him we missed him."

"Thank you. I will."

"That has pulled the wool over nobody's eyes," Tom thought to himself. "Clive should have damned well asked them if he could send me in his place. Rude and arrogant that was. Oh well, on his own head be it."

He reported back to Clive that afternoon who was pleased with what he had achieved and laughed off the fact that his absence had been noted. Tom once again noted the bonhomie and the charm but still sensed a lack of true warmth. He needed to talk it over with Briony.

Clive asked him to come up with a plan for the reconnaissance. Tom went back to his section and told them the news. There was excitement at the prospect of a major new project.

"Why did he choose this section, I wonder?" one of the older members asked.

"Because of our outstanding brilliance?"

There was laughter but it gave Tom more food for thought.

He settled down to work out who and what he would need on the reconnaissance.

"Can I come, Tom?" asked Susie.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Rory?"

"Yes."

"Sex maniacs?"

"I don't think we have any and in any case they haven't been sex-starved like bloody Andy."

"What have you got to offer? Survey?"

"Yup!"

"Depth sounding?"

"No but who else has?"

"Oh I'm sure we've got someone who can swing a bosun's lead."

Susie made a rude noise.

"OK, Miss Longfellow, provided Mr ... er ... Clive agrees."

Susie noticed the hesitation but attached no importance to it.

"I told you about this Scottish job and how Clive wanted me to go to the introductory meeting instead of him," Tom said to Briony that evening.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.