David and Bathsheba
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Over a drink and supper Tom told Briony what had happened to Susie and what Tony was going to do about it.

"Poor girl," said Briony with feeling. "Horrid, horrid, horrid. On the other hand, she didn't seem that low this evening and she called you a special man so, apart from saving a damsel in distress, what else did you do?"

Tom shrugged. "Not a lot really other than be there for her. I told you about Jenny. She was super. She really was."

"Go on."

"Well, when we got on the plane, even though she had put a good face on saying goodbye to Bill, she was still out of sorts."

"I bet. Hardly surprising."

"Anyway she pulled up the arm rest between us and asked if she could snuggle up to me. I said yes and she went out like a light."

"That's hardly surprising either. Despite Jenny being with her I don't suppose she slept at all last night. Poor little thing!"

"She's no smaller than you."

"Well I'd be a poor little thing."

"Yes, my Bri."

"Well, go on."

"After lunch she got in a stew about his wife blaming her and the trial. I did my best to comfort her and I'm going to tell the CEO on Monday that the company has got to hire the best barrister in the world to look after her."

"You do that, Tom-Tom. It's funny. She didn't say goodbye to you."

"No, I suppose she didn't. I wonder why not."

There was a silence while both pondered that one.

"Perhaps she didn't want to embarrass you in front of me," suggested Briony at length.

"Could be."

"Because she knew it would be pretty emotional."

Tom nodded.

"I'm proud of you, my darling. Very, very proud of you."

She reached across the table and he took her hand.

"Susie said you were special and you are but you're extra-specially special to me and I love you." She gulped. "More than I can say."

Tom smiled self-deprecatingly and squeezed her hand.

"Coffee?"

"No. Bed. I want to hold my man and show him how proud of him I am, not to mention how much I love him." She rose. "Leave these things. I'll do them in the morning."

She pulled him upstairs to their room. She pushed his dressing-gown off his shoulders and stood back with her hands on his hips.

"It's not a bad body," she said as she ran her hands over his chest. "And this bit's quite interesting." She stroked his back and ran her hands down to his bottom. "So's this," she added squeezing it gently. "Oh God!" She took him in her mouth and ran her hands down the back of his legs before bringing her hands back up to knead his bottom.

She rose suddenly, pushed him roughly back onto the bed, threw off her own dressing-gown and pursued him. She licked, kissed, stroked and scratched him. In between she managed to murmur, "Love you ... special man ... my darling ... my Tom-Tom ... oh Tom!" The last came as she impaled herself on him.

She rode him and then lay on his chest to let him do the work before rising to ride him again to a mutual climax.

They lay with his arms round her and she holding his head, her cheek against his.

"Oh my Tom ... I love you ... so much," she murmured.

Tom said nothing, just held the precious woman who was his life.

They fell asleep with her still lying on top of him. They woke in the small hours, cleaned each other up and then fell asleep again in each other's arms. Morning brought gentle love-making followed by a joint shower.

At ten o'clock the telephone rang. It was Ben Longfellow for Tom.

"Good morning, Mr Clifford. It's Ben Longfellow, Susan's father. We heard the story last night and I'd just like to say on behalf of my wife and myself how very grateful we are."

"Thank you, Mr Longfellow. It was the least I could do and please call me Tom."

"No, Tom, it was not the least you could do. After the ... incident, you gave her moral support, huge support from what I can gather. We shall be eternally grateful and I'd be pleased if you'd call me Ben."

"How is she, Ben?"

"Not bad. She's quite cheerful in many ways but I think it's still sitting there in her mind. Her fiancé's coming round for lunch and I think she's a bit worried about his reaction."

"I can understand but if he isn't sympathetic and supporting I'd be most surprised."

"So would I, Tom, but you can understand her worry."

"Yes of course."

"I just wanted you to know, Tom, how very grateful Millie and I are."

"Thanks, Ben. She's a special girl. I'm sure you're proud of her."

"We are, Tom. Indeed we are. Thank you again. I won't take more of your time. Goodbye."

"Goodbye, Ben."

Briony had overheard Tom's side of the conversation. "Susie's dad?"

"Yes."

"And he and his wife are grateful."

Tom nodded.

"And she's worried about telling her fiasco."

"Yes."

"Well don't you worry about it. It's their problem."

"Yes, ma'am.

"Don't be silly. It is."

Tom nodded and she kissed him.

"Really, my Tom-Tom. You mustn't take Susie's love life's problems on your shoulders. You wait. She'll be bubbling again on Monday."

Tom smiled and gave her a hug. "Thanks, my Bri."

They both played hockey that afternoon and then went to Family Communion at church on Sunday morning.

At the end of the service Tom made to stand up but Briony restrained him.

"Would you wait until everyone's gone?" she whispered.

"Of course," he replied softly and mystified.

When the church was empty she led him by the hand to the altar rail. They knelt.

"Lord," said Briony, "we knelt here before you at our marriage nearly two years ago. I never knew what a compassionate and caring man I was marrying. I love him more than ever. Thank you, Lord for giving me this man. Amen."

Tom was stupefied. A lump formed in his throat and tears filled his eyes. He squeezed Briony's hand.

"Amen," he managed to get out.

They knelt there in silence for a further two minutes holding each other's hand tight then rose and turned to each other.

"I love you," they said simultaneously and gently kissed.

The vicar was still waiting at the church door to say goodbye to them.

"Renewing your vows?" he smiled.

"No." responded Briony. "Thanking Him that we made them."

"Excellent! See you both next week?"

"Yes unless something crops up."

"Goodbye. God bless you both."

They went home, changed and rode for an hour and a half before coming home for a late lunch or 'teanch' as Briony called it. After that they sat together on the sofa with music in the background as they talked and teased each other, and cuddled throughout.

Briony was right. Susie was her usual self on Monday. She greeted Tom with a hug and a kiss, something that was noted by Clive who walked in almost behind Tom.

"Welcome back both of you," he said. "I'm sorry about the unpleasantness, Susie. Tom, the CEO requires us both at ten."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.