University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 79

We were back home on Sunday in the early afternoon. After stuffing our clothes into the washer, we went off shopping to restock the fridge and larder. On Monday, Rachel went to see whether there were any textbooks for her courses. I sat and considered the future.

I should go to the orientation session for the law exam on 13 October. Even if I ended up trying to practice law as Craig had mentioned, I should know what it was about. [see Chapter 74] I also needed to think about my course, 'Indigenous People and Public Law'. I didn't know what it would entail, but I was sure that I would be irritated, and so I needed to try to keep calm.

(What was the Horace dad used to quote? Oh, yes: Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem. 'Keep a level head in difficult situations.' I'm sure to need that. Maybe that should be my mantra: aequam mentem. But it is ungrammatical.)

I wasn't even sure when it met. I'd need to ascertain before I arranged my last hours with Sean. There was lots to do. And I needed to talk to dad about the PLT and the Law Society. I thought about my day at Court in Canberra. I wondered what the High Court would say. I ought to talk to him before registration.

When I phoned, I got connected right away.

"How was the trip?"

"Just fine. Dad, I need to talk to you."

"I'm right here."

"No. Seriously. Very seriously. Do you have time tomorrow or Wednesday?"

"Tomorrow's horrible. Wednesday looks clear from 11:30 till just before 1400."

"Can we meet for lunch?"

"Of course. You sound serious."

"I am. Wednesday after 11:30. How about Beppi's?"

"Seriously?"

"Yes. I'll phone them. See you there on Wednesday."

"Fine."

Beppi's is an old, well-known restaurant in Sydney. Only locals realize that they are open for lunch during the week. When my spouse returned with several very expensive tomes I told her what I was doing.

"You know, it makes sense?"

"What I'm doing?"

"Yes, that. But what Ardler's suggesting, too. If the Act gave the entities legal rights, then they can bestow those rights on individuals to act in their stead."

"Now you're talking like a lawyer."

"I read. I listen. I'm no bloody airhead!"

"Very true. So, I'm lunching with dad on Wednesday and spread it all out. I'm hoping I'll get an opinion from him. It won't matter whether he's pro or con, enthusiastic or passive. But I'll get his thoughts and they'll be genuine. Ardler has an ulterior motive. So would Sean or the Dean or ... or nearly anyone. I'm not certain whether I want to be a martyr. And doing what Ardler is suggesting might mean that I can never become a member of the bar here – in NSW."

"Could you take the exam in Western Australia? Or the Territory?"

"I don't know."

"What are you doing later or tomorrow?"

"I was going to get another letter from Sean tomorrow. I could look around the Web later."

"Now. It's not yet 1500. We'll start fixing dinner in three hours. Or decide to go out."

"Yes, dear."


The WA Legal Profession Act of 2008 seemed to say that I would have to request that my Bachelor of Law degree from Sydney was "acceptable," and that I'd then take the same sort of course and test that I'd need in NSW. I'd then need to execute a clerkship. It seemed to me that that was just fine, I wouldn't need to chase around the Territory site.

It was chill, so I wore a suit and a turtleneck on Wednesday. As I feared the complexities of parking on a business day in the midst of the "inner East" area (Yurong and Stanley, to be exact), I drew $200 from a cash point and took a taxi. I'd made a booking, so there was no problem. I waited for dad, rather than having to crane my neck to spot him. I didn't have long to wait.

"My son, Ernesto," he said to the host.

"I guessed, doctor, from the name on the booking."

We were seated away from the windows and out of the path to the kitchens. I thanked Ernesto and he issued napkins and menus with a flourish.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.