University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 56

In some ways, we "ignored" our anniversary. It just wasn't momentous. And Christmas shopping was exactly that. My parents, Rachel's parents; my sister, her brother; we each took an hour to get a secret whatever for each other. Then we had a discussion as to what to get for Henry. I suggested a gross of condoms, but Rachel thought that was gross (pun intended). Then she suggested we do the same for Al. We didn't. We went for quick lunch. Afterwards, we bought a copy of the Macquarie Book of Slang for Henry.

We got to Christmas Eve quite early. Sarah was dramatically over-dressed and wearing too much makeup. Henry wasn't there yet. No Al. Rachel and Sarah went off to "help" mum and dad asked if we could have a "serious five minutes."

He asked whether I knew that Sarah wanted a lot of money. I said I'd spoken to her, but that I didn't know the terms of her legacy.

"Actually, legacies," dad said. "Your Hollister grandparents, my mum and dad, left her funds in my trust till her 21st birthday. Bob Scott, left it in trust till she's 25, but I have the discretion to give it to her earlier."

"Good thing she was born in '93," I remarked. "Remember Frederick in Pirates!"

"Oh, right," dad laughed. "Twenty-first birthday, not 21 years of age."

"And I don't know how much she has..."

"Less than you. Charlie Grant didn't leave anything to her, just to you. But her legacy was just under two million, and it's now something over that."

"And she wants about $150?"

"Yes."

"Let her have it. If she's reckless, hold onto the Scott money."

"Good idea. I'll tell her 'yes' tomorrow – Christmas Day."

There was a roar outside followed by a knock at the door. Henry had arrived on his bike.

"What is it?" dad asked, after we'd said hello.

Henry grinned as he put his helmet on the floor. "It's a Harley Night Train V-twin. I bought it for myself on my transportation budget."

"Can I get a ride?" Sarah asked.

"Sure thing. I've even got a spare lid."

"Lid?"

"Hat, helmet."

Rachel looked at him. "Do you have fancy leathers?"

"Of course. But not in this heat."

We all indulged in idle chat, Rachel and mum returned to finalizing dinner; Sarah glued herself to Henry, but went to respond to a knock at the door. It was Al.

"Hey, whose bike is that?" he said, without a 'hello'.

"Mine."

"A V-twin?"

"Yes."

"Wow! I was going to get a small Kawasaki, but that looks great!"

"You may have noticed that I'm a bit larger than you are," Henry laughed.

"About double, I'd guess."

"Most likely closer to 150%."

"Hey Gordy. Hey Sarah. Where's my sister?"

"Kitchen with Weena," I said.

"Right. I'll go tell them I'm here so we can begin eating."

Dinner was delicious and excessive. We all enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Afterwards, we distributed gifts. Henry was included by us, mum and dad, and (of course) Sarah. He'd brought gifts of Hawaiian origin: mum and Rachel each received two lauhala bracelets and Sarah got a handsome woven mat. "The leaves for weaving come from the pandamus tree," Henry explained. Dad, Al and I each received books. Dad got Hawaiian Insects, Al got Jack London's House of Pride (stories about Hawaii), and I got a real prize, Kauanui's Hawaiian Blood, a book about colonialism and indigeneity. I think we were all thrilled.

"Mele Kalikimaka," Henry said. "'Merry Christmas' in Hawaiian."

I won't go into everything, but Rachel and I had gotten two further gifts for Henry: a book of Aussie jokes and a certificate for dinner for two at a harbourside eatery.

At coffee, I asked whether the attitude toward Hawaiians was "that bad."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.