University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 46

Al phoned on Sunday morning. First to thank us again for the cheque, second to pump his sister for every possible bit of data about Cait. I let them chat.

After lunch we showered, dressed and drove off to meet Alf at Summer Salt in Cronulla. "He's really interested," Rachel said.

"Hunh?"

"Al's really struck by Cait."

"So I'd gathered."

"He said he'd sent her an email about his math and about moving north to Macquarie."

"That should fascinate her. I can hear him: 'After I've moved you'll have to come over and view my graphs.' Real ladies' man."

Rachel laughed. "You're a mean brother-in-law!"

"Yep. That's me. Do you know much about her?"

"Not really. She's studying both German and French because so much art history is in those languages. And apparently she reads and speaks Italian."

"Different end of art from yours."

"Mmm."

Alf was standing by his ute when we drove into the lot near Summer Salt. After greetings, we were seated.

"You're looking well," I told Alf.

"Yep. Thanks to you. I took your warning seriously. Those jackasses made fun of me believing in abo superstitions. I'm not sure they've got the bodies out yet."

We ordered. "I'll have beer," Alf said. "I'm still not supposed to have alcohol."

"There's alcohol in beer," Rachel remarked.

"I know that. But they said no alcohol and I'm taking that as spirits."

"Makes sense to me," I added.

Alf talked about his therapy and his forthcoming return to Mt. Isa. "This'll be my last field assignment," he told us. "I'm happy to look at samples and analyses and photos, but I've had my warning and learned my lesson. That Serpent of yours stretched one coil and that tunnel filled itself in."

"Give me your hand." He held it across the table. I took it in both of mine. "I see only one problem, Alf."

"What's that?"

"You're getting entangled with a woman. But it won't be a problem for long. Go ahead and phone her. Tell her to take a taxi." Alf took out his phone.

"We're at the Salt. Get a cab and join us. Yes. See ya." He looked at me. "Damned if I understand that."

"I don't understand it either," Rachel said. "And I've experienced it for nearly 20 years."

"It's not useful for ourselves or the family, in general," I said. "But it was very strong on that plane. And clear a minute ago."

"Funny that it's a 'dragon in the sea' in Isaiah, too," Alf remarked. "But it's evil: 27.1."

"Evil because it's 'other'," Rachel remarked. "Not one of the animal idols like the Golden Calf or the animal-headed gods of Egypt, like Anubis or Horus. The Commandment doesn't say there aren't other gods, only that none can take precedence over Yahweh."

"Never thought of it that way."

Just then a good-looking woman in her forties came to our table. Alf stood up and gave her a hug. "I see you got here. Megan, this is Rachel and Patrick; Rachel and Patrick, my special friend, Megan."

We shook hands. "I see why this'll be your last trip," Rachel said. "Will you invite us?"

"You, too?"

"No, Alf. That was mere supposition." We all laughed. Megan sat down and ordered without glancing at the menu.

"We come here at least once a week," she said with a pleasant voice. "I need to thank you. I've known Alf for nearly a decade. But he's been in Sydney only a few days at a time and off in the Territory or the Pilbara or Olympic Dam or even Broken Hill for weeks and months on end. But this accident meant I could take care of him for weeks at a time."

"And now she's got me," Alf added.

"What do you do when he's away?" Rachel inquired.

"Oh, I work in several elementary schools as a supplementary. I trained as a teacher, worked for a few years, got married, got a good settlement when we were divorced, spent a few years being idle and found I hated it. So, I went back to teaching. I just made myself unavailable when Alf needed nursing." Megan reached out an patted Alf's good arm.

"But you've given me an idea, Rachel. Megan, are you willing to try marriage again? I'm an old coot, but I should hang around for a few more years. Maybe a decade or two."

"Are you serious?"

"Very. Only two beers so far."

"Then yes. But don't go sniffing after dollies like Rachel. I used up my tolerance for that years and years ago."

"No problem."

"Can I buy a bottle of champagne?" I asked. I was already waving at the waiter.

We had a pleasant dinner and about two glasses of a really nice Clover Hill from Tasmania. We both hugged Megan and Alf promised to let us know what he called "the gory details." We were home by 2200. What a weekend!


"Funny how much Alf understands about ancient Australia," Rachel remarked on Monday.

"Not at all. If he spent time in the Pilbara, he was in some of the oldest rocks on the planet – two to two-and-a-half billion years old. And there are several bands there and in the Northern Territory. He's most likely heard many of the stories we read when we were little."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.