University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 26

Rachel was excited: she'd mentioned mythology to one of the sculpture folks and had been dragged off to a room full of fragmentary pottery and broken statues. There had ensued a half-hour of discussion of Pegasus' wings, the wings on talaria, the wings on putti, Icarus' wings, etc. I could see the fascination in trying to work our whether the wings had been attached to a horse, a sandal, a cherub, or a man. The curator had suggested that Rachel take introduction to archaeology and ancient history as well as her "special study."

"Sounds like a lot of work."

"We aren't here to relax, are we?"

I told her about meeting Dean Tolhurst and what I had said.

"We'll see what he suggests you do for the term. I saw you chatting with your ladyfriend."

"Yes. She's got a different color on her talons – violet, not crimson. She's just not interesting to me. Not a bit. I was looking at the Japanese prints, but she interrupted."

The rest of the week was "cultural." We went to Bizet's Pearl-Fishers, which had some lovely music embedded in a silly plot, and to the play Allison had recommended. It was, in fact, very good.

Rachel obtained another letter from Winnie and turned it in. She had one bit of "news" from campus.

"I met Audie!"

"Oh?"

"She's transferring to Wooloogong!"

"Gosh. Quelle surprise! I'm certain she won't be living in student housing, either."

"No. She's still with Angus."

"I hope they're both happy."

"You needn't be sarcastic!"

"Oh, I don't know. He's taking advantage of her."

"And she of him." Rachel sighed. "When will you phone Dean Tolhurst?"

"Tomorrow. I don't want to put it off. I need to register. Classes will have begun. And I want to talk to my dad and, possibly, Sue before that."

I called my dad that night.

"Well, what are you planning?" he asked, after I'd filled him in.

"I'm not certain. There are several parts of the problem to consider. First of all, there are my courses."

"What have you planned?"

"I thought an Australian history course involving the environment and a government course – there's one on the 'Comparative Politics of Ethnic Conflict'. But I should be taking three."

"Something through the Koori Centre?"

"I don't think they offer actual courses."

"Sociology?"

"Ooh! I think there's a 'Law and Society' course."

"There you are, unless that's too obvious."

"No. I'll ask the Acting Dean when I see him. Could you call Sue Carr for me?"

"Why?"

"She was going to call the Dean on my behalf."

"Right. Didn't she give you a business card?"

"Yes."

"Then you call her. You've got to present yourself as truly responsible. From hereon it's your reputation, not some sort of representative or reflection."

"You're right."

"Don't have to be a nungungi for that."

"How's Sarah?"

"Decided on Cowan."

"She'll like that."

When I got off I told Rachel. "I'd best find out what Max decided," she said.

"I thought he was fixed on UNSW."

"Well, I'll call anyway. Mum can spill the hysteria."

"It's four more months."

"I know that. But who knows what they're planning."


The next day Rachel returned from the Gallery to tell me that they'd acquired a bark painting from the Western Arrente representing the origin of Gosses Bluff crater. "Do you know the story?" she asked.

A group of star-women were dancing in the Milky Way. One of the women became weary and placed her baby in a basket. While the women kept on dancing, the basket fell to earth. The baby's impact forced the rocks upward, forming the circular mountain range. The baby's parents, the evening and morning star, still search for their baby today.

"I see. Multiple meanings: the story explains the crater and it warns mothers to keep an eye on their children. Great."

"Exactly. Now, you'll be at the Gallery twice a week?"

"Sometimes three days."

"Have you enough clothing?"

"What?"

"I was there last week. The staff in the galleries don't dress like students. You need to look your role, not merely act your role."

"I could use a few things."

"Let's go to David Jones tomorrow. If they don't have something, we can just walk to Myer's."

"Okay. But I don't want to spend too much?"

"Saving for your old age?"

"Not quite yet. But..."

"No 'buts'."


On Friday, Rachel went off to the Gallery in an emerald top and charcoal trousers and carrying a blazer. I thought she looked elegant. I went along, also carrying a coat, as my destination was just across the park: the Law Society of NSW on Phillip Street.

The receptionist was less than welcoming. I introduced myself and the fact that I wished to speak to someone about becoming a lawyer. I was told to take a pamphlet and to speak to an advisor at my university.

I realized that I could find more on the web, which I'd perused over the weekend. It appeared that NSW required that candidates for the Bar pass three examinations and spend a year working with/for/under a barrister of seven (or more) years' standing. I found no requirement for a prior degree. I presumed that Law School was designed to get me past the three examinations.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.