University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 13

"I've no exams!"

"What?"

"I said I've no exams! Have you any?"

"I think there's one in Australian Politics and there may be one in Economics. Why?"

"There's a month between the end of exams and first classes."

"Want to travel?"

"Yes. I want to go to Perth and see our parents and Sarah and Max."

"That's all?" I knew that there was more, but it was so easy to tease Rachel.

"Well ... I'd like to see the art museum and the zoo in Melbourne."

"I'll see what I can find out about exams. Let's talk about it when we know how much time we've got."

"Okay."


"In-class essay on either JuLiar versus Kevin or on Rudd versus Abbott."

"Hunh?"

"Coupla days ago you asked about exams. I said I'd find out. In Australian Politics we've got to write on one of two topics. I still have no answer in Economics as a Social Science."

"Right."

"So, I propose that we fly to Perth at the beginning of July and come back on the train two or three weeks later."

"Wow!"

"For how long can you stand our six parents and siblings plus Rob?"

"Where would we stay?"

"Good question. Your folks haven't the space and I"m not sure about mine. How about a cheap hotel?"

"Or a B&B? Aren't there B&Bs in Nedlands, north of the Stirling?"

"I'll ask Mum. But first, flights. Is Qantas on strike?"

"Not right now. Did you look at this morning's paper?"

"No, why?"

"Rudd resigned as Foreign Minister and is flying home and Gillard is calling a sudden leadership vote."

"She thinks she can just bump him again."

"Can she?"

"I don't know. She's not made people like her, she's not done a very good job, and I don't think she's been honest. But Rudd's not a brilliant personality. And the old party hacks hate him. I don't know. But even if she wins, she'll be out in a year or so. She wasn't elected and she's got a minority ... and the country certainly won't give her a majority. If Rudd wins, he might be able to defeat Abbott. It's a mess; and calling a quick vote isn't a good solution. I'll have to see what to write about in class."

"Might he change the topics?"

"No. This is Australian Politics. There aren't any real topics, just acrimonious backbiting within the parties. Australians don't talk about the real things."

"Don't be so cynical."

"Yes, dear."

"Go look at possible flights."

"Yes, dear."

"And stop that!"

"Yes, dear." She threw a cushion at me.


We went to Asakusa on King Street for dinner, Rachel had the chicken teriyaki, as usual, I had a large assorted sushi. While we were waiting to be served I reported. "Okay. We're flying to Perth cheap, and uncomfortable, but we're coming back in luxury, what they refer to as Platinum. If we want, we can get off the train in Adelaide and spend a few days there. We'll be in Perth for just over two weeks."

"Sounds great. Call Weena and ask about B&Bs. Oh, and see if we can borrow a car. Otherwise we'll have to rent one."

"Yes dear."

"Stop teasing!"


A few days later I said: "Well, Kevin and Julia both lost. I think I'll write a fantasy for class: something about politicians behaving sensibly." I changed topics: "Let's go to Melbourne for a week in early June."

"What happened?"

"I got 'excellent +' scrawled across my economics paper, so I'm exempted from the exam."

"That's really wizard! Can we stay in someplace nice?"

"Yes, but not super-plush."

"I want to go to the zoo and the art gallery. Is there something special you want to see?"

"The Botanical Gardens. And shopping, of course. Do you want to fly or take the train?"

"Could we fly down and train back?"

"Or the other way?"

"Whatever works out. It's 10 or 12 hours, isn't it?"

"I think so. We'll find out."

"I was talking to Audie, she's got a problem."

"Oh?"

"I told her to come over. She wants to talk to you."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.