University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 6

"Guess who the twins introduced me to?"

"Julia Gillard?"

"No, silly. Really."

"No idea."

"Gordy Hollister!"

"You're kidding me!"

"No. He's from Mitchell and our age."

"You know who he must be, don't you?"

"No idea. I thought it was a funny coincidence."

"He must be Jacky and Alice's son. I was at their wedding! I wasn't even a year old. I think I last saw him when I was four or five. Wow! I've got to meet him! And I'll have to tell dad."

"Weird."

"What did you tell him?"

"Nothing. I was a little startled, but as my name's Eyre, not Hollister, no one seemed to have thought anything special."

"Wow!"

"We were talking about Purukupali making fire to dispel the dark. And I mentioned The Magic Flute and we chatted about how Cultural Differences led to similarities."

"Right. Everyone needed an explanation for light and dark, for sun and moon."


It was a few days later. I was getting ready for economics, having read over half of the Hayek: not at all easy reading, but really fascinating and thought-provoking. I had a lot of questions that might not make the professor happy. But he'd brought up von Mises and Hayek and and American named Rothbard two meetings ago.

The Road to Serfdom is among the most influential and popular expositions of libertarianism and remains a popular and influential work. It has sold over two million copies since its first publication in March 1944.

Hayek challenged the general view among British academics (and Keynes in particular) that fascism was a capitalist reaction against socialism, instead arguing that fascism and socialism had common roots in central economic planning and the power of the state over the individual.

The Road to Serfdom has had a significant impact on twentieth century conservative and libertarian economic and political discourse, though most English-speaking governments still adhere to Keynesianism.

But I'd kept on thinking about Gordy. I really wanted to meet him and ask about his parents. And then I'd pop it on my dad. What a hoot!

"Pat?"

"Hmm?"

"We've got to schedule that party ... or get-together ... or whatever."

"Right. Today's Friday. Let's make it next weekend. Can you phone the twins?"

"And you'll call Melissa and ... uh ... Alf?"

"Sure. Do you have Mark's number?"

"No. It'll have to wait till Tuesday when we've got class."

"See whether the twins have Gordy's number."

"Right. But first, I need to ask you something."

"'Kay."

"What are we? I mean, to each other?"

"Well, I think of you as 'my intended'."

"Right. One of the girls asked whether we were engaged. I guess I'd never thought about it."

"Me neither. We told our parents that we were getting married when I was three or so."

"Okay. Do we have eight chairs?"

"Four dinner chairs, two desk chairs and the sofa. That'll do. Do you need anything from along King? I need to walk around the block."

"Don't take too long, the talk's at 1900."

"Right."

I walked along King and looked into the window of the first jewellry store I came to. There was nothing that even appeared interesting. I kept on and looked into and rejected another. Then a third, opposite the high school. This was quite promising ... and far further upscale. I went in and was accosted by an older man who asked what I wanted. I told him and was asked to sit at a showcase. He brought out a flat box and revealed a variety of glints and glitters. There was a spiral with a gem in it.

"This is white gold, set with a diamond from Inverell," he said.

"Can it be sized?" I asked. "She's quite small."

"Centainly. As it's a spiral, one of our experts can adjust it in a few minutes."

"And the damage?"

He smiled and turned the tag towards me. I thought for a moment.

"Can you box and wrap it?"

"Of course."

I handed him my charge card. He took the ring and my bank card only to return shortly with a receipt, a wrapped box and the machine. I pushed the appropriate buttons and nearly $4000 was debited. I put the card and receipt away.

"Thank you very much. I really appreciate this. She may be in as early as tomorrow."

"Our pleasure, Mr. Hollister. Perhaps we can interest her in earrings or a necklace."

"Not right away please," I laughed.

I walked home with my purchase.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.