University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 2

Family Conference

It was after 1500 before everyone was sitting down. Knowing what was coming, I'd printed out a single sheet with data on it. I wasn't certain what Chuck and Michiko would say, but I could guess what my parents' reactions would be.

"Who's in charge?" my dad asked.

"I'll start, but this isn't that kind of formal meeting."

"Okay."

"Well, as you know, Rachel and I are now in Year 12. We'll be taking WACE soon. And we'll be applying to University."

WACE = Western Australia Certificate of Education. For students to achieve the WACE, they must have completed 10 full-year course units over Years 11 and 12

Achieve an average of C grade or better in at least eight of these full-year (or equivalent) subjects. At least four of these subjects must also be at Year 12 level.

Complete four English units (the equivalent of two full years study of English - Years 11 and 12 combined)

Meet English competency requirements (satisfied by a final, scaled mark of 50 or more in English).

"Right," said Chuck.

"Well, Rachel and I were talking about this, and felt we should get it talked over. First of all, to no one's surprise, we're going together. Second, we both know this is a major event and an expensive one. And even though Rachel is 19 and I'm 18, you four are involved."

"So, first question," said Mum. "Where?"

"We think University of Sydney."

Michiko gasped. "So far!"

"About 4000 kilometres," Rachel said. "Just about the same as Perth to Singapore and half that from here to Osaka." Michiko glared at her. Rachel had done her homework, too.

"Why Sydney?" dad asked.

"It offers what we each want to study – or, at least, what we think we want to study. And there are museums and theatres."

"I want to experience more art and music," Rachel added.

"And not UNSW?"

"Sydney has a five-year programme where I could get degrees in both history and law." Dad nodded.

"And I could do Art and Literature."

"Okay," dad said. "Now the tough part. What will it cost?"

"We don't know. I've worked out a worst-case, but there are a lot of questions."

"Let's hear it," said Chuck.

"Well, it looks as though tuition and fees are about $5000 for each of us for the first years, and about $9000 for each of the two years of Law. That would come to $50,000 or $60,000 gross. But there are a lot of factors involved. First, if we pay up front, there's a 20% discount. Second, I'll bet there are grants for children of university faculty, dad."

"And for CSIRO staff, too," Rachel put in.

"But let's take the maximum, $60,000. Then there are living expenses. A two-bedroom apartment in Annandale or Camperdown will run about $2400 a month. Under $30,000 per year. And I'd guess we'll need about $100 a week for food and a thousand each for clothing. And then there's transportation and entertainment."

"The opera's not cheap," added Rachel.

"So, my guess is $50,000 for first year, plus a car and one or two trips between Perth and Sydney."

"Oh my!" gasped Michiko.

"Sounds like you've thought it through," Mum added. "But wouldn't you consider Western or Curtin?"

"Oh, yeah," I said. "And be the 'prof's kid'? Wouldn't that be fun!"

"We've seen the West Australia Opera Company and been to the Black Swan Theatre! And we've been going to the Museum since we were kids!" Rachel was getting worked up.

"And I want to visit the Australian Museum and the Art Gallery of NSW," I added.

"You've got points, both of you. Perth can't offer what the east coast cities can. But you're both young. You've got time." Chuck tried to cool down the discussion.

"What about your friends, your teammates?"

"I don't have any friends," I said. "I have acquaintances. I see them at school. I play the necessary games with them. They don't share with me. I only share with Rachel. I'm like Kipling's cat."

"That's sad," said Michiko.

"No. I am nungungi. I am both inside and outside the lives of men. Rachel is the home, the hearth, warmth and light. But she is both Australia and outside Australia. I need her more than she needs me."

"But I need you, too."

"Yes."

Gordy looked at me. "All true, but off topic."

"Sorry. I want to integrate the Aboriginal with history; the Dream with the Law. Rachel wants to tie Art to the Myth it represents. Sydney is the uni that appears to allow us to do that."

"$50,000 times five is a quarter of a million," said Chuck.

"Right. But that's the maximum. UWA and the CSIRO might reduce that a lot. And how much do Rachel's and my college fees run? Those aren't small."

"But I don't want you to be so far away!" Michiko admitted.

"You sent me to Osaka, that was way further!"

"But you were with my parents!"

"And we'll be with each other, Mum."

"Let's be pragmatic," Weena said. "Number one, Chuck and Gordy have to find out about external support. Number two, Pat and Rachel have to put together two budgets: worst case and best case. And, number three, we need numbers for what we're dancing around: a vehicle, travel between Perth and Sydney, and household costs."

"Household costs?"

"You'll sleep on the floor and need no cooking utensils, plates, cups, glasses, table ware, furnishings, linens, and that sort of stuff?"

"None of that matters," I said.

"Why not?" my Mum challenged.

"Trust fund."

"Trust fund?" Rachel asked.

"When my grandmother and then my grandfather, Gordy's parents, died, their estate was split between Gordy's children and David's – between me and Sarah and my cousins. Well, Dad, the ball's in your court. Exactly how much is there and when do I get my portion?"

There was silence. I decided that this was the time to be aggressive.

"Well?"

"He's right, Gordy," said my Mum. "Do you have the answers handy?"

"I don't have up-to-date numbers, but we've got the year-end statements."

"Could you fetch Patrick's and the 'Terms-of-Reference'?"

"Yes, dear." He got up and went into his study. I could hear a drawer open and shut and he came back with a fat file and a thin one.

"Before my parents died, they met briefly with me and my older brother. They intended to leave their estates to each other and then to me and to David. David said no, that neither of us needed whatever there was, but that the estate should be split among the grandchildren. So David and I were made trustees, each bequeathed half, in trust for the children. When it was probated and released, I established two trust accounts here in Perth, one for Patrick and one for Sarah." Dad drew a deep breath. "All in all, after we paid taxes and legal fees, there was something over four million dollars." Michiko gasped. "So Pat and Sarah each started with a bit over a million, and that's now" he opened the big file and read the top sheet, "$1,230,700."

"Pat!" Rachel exclaimed, "You're a millionaire! I'm going to marry a millionaire!"

"Would you take me barefoot?"

Chapter 3 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.