The Last Chance
Chapter 23

Copyright© 2011 by Ben

Awakening the next morning Harry along with Hermione made his way to the entrance for their workout. Once the group had finished working out that morning Harry asked "Daphne could you hold up for a second please?"

Daphne nodded and waited for Harry to speak with a raised eyebrow.

Feeling rather nervous Harry said "as you might be aware of, the Ministry is holding a ball this Yule and I have been invited to attend. I had originally intended for Hermione to go with me, however that plan has fallen apart due to the guardianship issues. Since she is no longer available I was hoping that you would consent to accompany me to the ball instead."

Daphne was silent for several seconds then said "why are you asking me? Why not just go stag?"

"Well you see I ummm" Harry mumbled then took a deep breath. He gathered up his failing courage and said "I am asking you for two reasons mainly. The first reason is that I have developed a deeper friendship with you than anyone else besides Hermione and Neville. The second reason is in the hope that the time spent together we could possibly become more than friends."

Daphne was silent for several seconds as she thought then said "how do you see us being together in a relationship when Hermione will eventually become your constant companion? I mean if she is always going to be there then wouldn't anyone else be regarded, subconsciously at least, as an interloper?"

Harry looked at her then said "I wouldn't see anyone else in that manner. Yes Hermione will always be there but she has a lot of areas where she wouldn't be comfortable or be happy in. Hermione loves acquiring knowledge from books, but she doesn't really enjoy the political side of things, nor does she have the instinctual knowledge that a person raised in this society has. In addition she would not be a good sounding board in helping me flesh out ideas or helping me deal with all of the ins and outs of high society since she will eventually become more in tune with how I feel. You on the other hand not only have a strong will but you enjoy the political aspects of society as well. In addition from our conversations I've noticed that you seem to have a very strong perception of what is going on in society as well as an excellent grasp of how people will react to situations. All this hopefully adds up to you becoming an extremely good sounding board for me to have as a lot of things I will be doing in the future unfortunately will be in politics which is not my strong suit. Each of us has their own areas of expertise and comfort zones so if we do eventually get together than I don't really see how you would be possibly considered an interloper by either I or Hermione."

Daphne faintly blushed at the acknowledgement of her skills and the praise Harry had just given her. She thought about his proposal for a few seconds then nodded and said "I would be delighted to accompany you to the Ball Harry. One thing I am somewhat concerned about is if you can dance as it is expected for almost everyone to do so."

Scratching the back of his head in a show of nerves Harry replied "I have been practicing as part of my preparation for the ball for over a month now every other night, and I believe that I won't do too badly when the time comes. If you want we could start practicing together" Harry proposed. Seeing her nod Harry said "the way I see this working out is this: I would meet you outside of your common room at night and accompany you to where I have been learning. When we have finished I would then accompany you back to your dorm room entrance. Since we are leaving the 20th of this month that only leaves us about 7 times we can do so, but I believe that it would help."

Daphne nodded and said "I'll be waiting for you tonight. If you are halfway decent I will gladly accompany you to the ball." Blushing she continued "as far as your proposal of seeing if a relationship could work with the three of us I accept as well; especially since I enjoy Hermione's company almost as much as I enjoy yours." She paused then asked "do you think Neville will have a problem with this? I don't want to jeopardize our friendship if he gets jealous or something."

Thinking for a few seconds Harry said "why don't you see if Tracey is willing to accompany you to the practice sessions and I'll invite Neville. That way they will spend time with each other and hopefully they get together as from what I've seen those two could work out nicely."

Daphne thought for a few seconds then nodded and said "you know you're right. They do make a cute couple, especially since Neville has turned into one of the better looking boys in our year after he lost that puppy fat. I know that Tracey has been looking at him more often than not as well." Daphne paused then asked "do you already have dress robes picked out Harry?"

"I do, why do you ask?"

"Well it is rather important that my outfit matches somewhat you know."

"Oh. Fashion hunh? Never mind then. I can show them to you any time since I have the set I intend to wear here."

Muttering a scathing "boys" under her breath, when he said fashion in a typically male response, she listened to the rest of his answer and nodded when he finished. "Very well, yes I do want to have a look at them as well as a couple of alternatives as well. If you don't have more than one set of dress robes available then we will need to do some shopping before the ball takes place."

"I actually have three here so that is not a problem. When do you want me to show them to you" Harry asked.

Think over her schedule Daphne said "how about tomorrow after lunch?"

"Sure sounds good" Harry replied happily. "Now I guess we should get going as we have some study time available before the etiquette class starts." Seeing her nod Harry rather tentatively took her hand and walked off hand in hand with his new quasi-girlfriend.

Harry departed from Daphne at the entrance to make their separate ways to their common rooms. Along the way Harry imparted to Hermione all that he and Daphne had talked about. Hermione expressed her happiness with them and Daphne's decision. After cleaning up and getting dressed in his Hogwarts robe Harry and Hermione made their way down to the great Hall for breakfast; once there he saw Hannah Abbott sitting alongside Susan Bones. Thinking about how he could deliver the letter, he had received from Hannah's father last night, to Hannah in a secure environment; Harry finally settled on asking her to hold back when the DADA class he was teaching today finished. Putting that decision aside for now he ate his breakfast.

The rest of the day passed normally until the end of the DADA class Harry was teaching. Looking over the class Harry said "good! Almost everyone has gotten the Lubricus Finxi down. I expect the ones who don't to have mastered it by the next class. Now homework is three inches on why the Lubricus Finxi, otherwise known as the jelly fingered curse, is useful to all wizards and how it could also be used in situations other than on a hand holding a wand." Seeing everyone nod Harry continued on with "now if I could have Susan Bones, Hannah Abbott, Daphne Greengrass, Tracey Davis, Neville Longbottom and Hermione Granger to stay behind please, the rest of you may leave."

When everyone had left Harry looked at Susan and Hannah who looked rather nervous at being held back. With a smile on his face Harry asked "would you to please follow me? I have some things to ask you two that are rather private and I don't want to be overheard." Susan and Hannah hesitantly nodded their compliance so Harry led the way to their now standard meeting place. Casting the security charms as well as a warming charm Harry looked at them and stated "Hannah I received a letter for you from your father recently and he asked me to give it to you in a place where we would not be overseen. I know you might have questions about why exactly I was given the letter to pass onto you; especially since as far as you know your father does not know me at all, but after reading the letter I think those questions will be answered."

Hannah replied quietly "thank you, but why did you ask Susan to come with me?"

"I asked her to accompany you because we," gesturing to his group, "noticed that you two are close and are almost never seen apart from one another. Another reason should be explained in that letter."

Hannah nodded and read the letter with Susan reading it as well over her shoulder. When she had finished she looked at Harry and said "it seems my father has found in you and your group a place to continue our practices. He asks me and Susan as well to take the vow, in addition he also instructs us to have you pass along a copy of a book that will allow us to use an advanced form of Occlumency."

Harry looked at the both of them and said "I want to make sure that the both of you are aware that if this information gets out then your father, mother and possibly the entire group would be killed by the Ministry, thus I feel I need the both of you to take a vow that neither of you will divulge the information to anyone not already part of the group."

Hannah nodded and replied "not a problem for me as I would never turn my parents in, especially as I intend to joyfully join all of you as soon as I can."

Susan looked hesitant then said "I want to disclose this to my Aunt as she has been raising me since my parents were killed by the Death Eaters. I know that she is aware that I follow the Old Ways and I believe that she does as well. In addition I know that she has diverted some of her Auror's from discovering any practitioner's and instead has kept them concentrated on discovering real criminals."

Harry thought about this for a while then asked "could you wait until the Holiday break starts? That way I along with possibly another person could meet with her and see how she reacts? I know that I don't know her very well but the safety of the group must be paramount in disclosing any information especially to someone who is head of the D.M.L.E."

Susan nodded with a smile on her face as she replied "yes that would be fine with me. In addition think how the head of the DMLE could help the group in staying safe from discovery; she would also be able to help in the Wizengamot as she is currently sitting as a member as she is the head of her department."

Harry nodded happily enough and said "that shouldn't be a problem actually. Lord Abbott, Dowager Augusta Longbottom, Samuel Greengrass-Davis and I are meeting on the 23rd starting at 1000 to discuss some things. That meeting will probably take less than an hour to complete. So how about you inform your Aunt that her, you, Samuel Greengrass-Davis, I and possibly Lord Abbott would like to discuss something at a meeting to take place at Samuel Greengrass-Davis office starting about 1300?"

Susan thought for several seconds then nodded and said "that should work out fine, thank you."

"Not a problem Susan" Harry replied. Harry thought for a few minutes then said "now I will need a Witches Oath from the both of you that you won't tell anyone outside of the group or the people here anything that we have discussed with the exception of the meeting with Amelia Bones."

Hannah and Susan nodded and gave their Oath's. When they had done so Harry said "alright then, now that matter has been taken care of I will be able to give you two permanent copies of the books I have on Occlumency tonight. Now the defenses and such will require about an hour everyday for about a month to get set, after that you will only need to spend about ten minutes a day to make sure everything is running smoothly." Harry paused then continued on with "so I suggest that I test your defenses, with your permission of course, when the school starts back up after the winter holidays. In addition to that; I and my friends," he said with a gesture taking in Hermione, Neville, Tracey and Daphne, "have received permission to leave our House common rooms after curfew to a designated classroom to study, practice our spellwork and Potions starting when the school returns from winter holidays. We will be escorted by some of the sixth year prefects that I am also teaching Occlumency to. During that time if the both of you have joined the group by that time I will also be able to teach you the Old Ways that I am being taught as well if you want me to."

Susan and Hannah both nodded. Hannah said "I would definitely like to join all of you in that Harry, but what about sleep?"

"Oops" Harry muttered scratching the back of his head "I forgot to mention that. When you get decent in Occlumency your need for sleep will decrease drastically to about two hours. From what my books on the subject say there is a 7 out of 10 chance that a person will receive this benefit. Reading about this phenomenon in my Book of Shadows I came across some information that all those that have dedicated themselves to magic will receive this benefit no matter what, even if they would have been one of the 3 out of 10 that would not normally receive that benefit."

Susan nodded and said "very cool. I can't wait to have you helping us specifically Harry as your teaching in DADA shows that you will be one of the best if not the best teachers we could have in that subject. I've talked it over with my Aunt and she is amazed in what you have gotten the first years to learn as from what she recalls some of the stuff they didn't learn until her second or third year."

Harry smiled and said "well the originals for the books that everyone is using now for DADA came from my Library that were recently updated and they cover what is supposed to be taught in the first year." Harry thought back over the conversation then said "oh that's right, I almost forgot to tell the two of you something. I talked it over with Professor Flitwick and anyone can come to the Ravenclaw study period that I'm leading as part of my responsibilities this year. So if you want to invite some of your fellow 'Puff's to join then they would be more than welcome. We mainly practice the new spells, do homework and study ahead and the atmosphere is rather like in a library with no loud noises or shouting allowed. I personally find it extremely relaxing there as not only can I study with no constant coming and going that is found in the common room, it's less crowded than the Library."

Hannah and Susan traded a look then Hannah said "we'll consider it, but it might take some time before the others are willing to do this as the Hufflepuff's already have study sessions with selected older students. I think I can speak for the both of us saying that that Susan and I will join you there but don't expect the others to attend en-masse."

Susan asked "what times are the sessions being held Harry?"

"They take place from 1615 to 1745 on Monday and from 1430 to 1600 on Wednesday" Harry replied.

Susan pulled out her list of class times and after perusing it for a couple of minutes said "I believe that we will be able to join you for the Wednesday study time as we have a class taking place on Monday at that time so we can't join in then."

Harry nodded and said "it's no problem." Harry thought for a couple of seconds then asked "is there anything you wanted to ask us?"

Hannah shook her head but Susan nodded and asked "may I join all of you in your exercising in the mornings and in the evening? I already have exercise clothes and am in reasonable shape as my Aunt and I work out regularly."

Harry nodded and said "the more the merrier Susan. I think I can speak for all of us here in stating that if you or almost anyone else who wants to join us in exercising in the morning and evening that they would be more than welcome." Everyone else either nodded or made some sort of agreement. Harry then said "as you might be aware of I also have an instructor coming here Tuesday as well as Friday at 0600 and Sunday at 1000. She is currently teaching us Krav Maga and has consented to teach us dueling starting next year."

Susan had a quizzical expression on her face as she asked "why do you want to learn dueling and whatever Krav Maga is?"

Harry sighed then replied "Krav Maga is a martial art that is designed to incapacitate or kill your opponent quickly and effectively in hand to hand combat. The reason I wanted to learn it is because of all the Death Eater's that got let off due to 'being under the Imperious Curse' as well as any glory seeking hounds that might challenge me to defeat the 'boy-who-lived'." Harry paused and looking at the two of them to see if they followed his reasoning was reassured when he saw the both of them nod in comprehension. "Now the reason for my learning dueling encompasses those reasons as well as the fact that Voldemort is still alive." Harry sighed when he saw both Susan and Hannah flinch and muttered "why does everyone flinch when I saw that name?"

Susan blushing said "the reason everyone who has spent any time in the Wizarding world flinches when you say he-who-must-not-be-named's name is because during the last war He was able to make his title into a Taboo."

"What is a Taboo" Harry asked curiously having never heard of the term before.

"A Taboo is a piece of tricky magic that only extremely powerful wizards can cast. When a person utters a certain word they will be immediately pinpointed by the caster. Thus He was immediately informed by way of that spell anytime someone used his name and could apparate or construct a portkey to their location that bypassed all anti-apparition or anti-portkey wards that were in place. The only protection that can defeat the tracking applied by a Taboo is the Fidelius or possibly the wards on Hogwarts" Susan explained having learned this from her Aunt.

Hannah took up the explanation by saying "during the last war a lot of witches and wizards were killed before anyone realized that He had actually been able to cast the Taboo, so they came up with various workarounds. The parents that lived through the war have passed on the fear of saying the name to their children, out of fear that He might come back or if one of his Lieutenants still has access to the Taboo, then their children or they will be killed."

Harry nodded in understanding and could certainly see why everyone still feared saying the name if such a thing had happened. "Alright I can certainly understand that."

Hannah asked "how do you know that He is still around Harry?"

"When you get into Occlumency you will be able to recall all of your memories and unfortunately one of my memories is what happened that night. When the curse was rebounded I was able to see a wraith looking thing come out of His body and leave the room. So I know that He is still existent; in addition to my memories when I was emancipated I was able to go into my parents vault, in there they left a letter behind that contained a prophecy that could possibly pertain to either me or Neville. In it the prophecy mentioned that one who was born as the seventh month died would have the power to vanquish the Dark Lord. So since he was somewhat defeated by me that night He not only will want revenge against me because of a defeat by a fifteen month old baby but due to that tripe" Harry finished exasperatedly. "I don't really believe in prophecies or anything but apparently Dumbledore and Him do so, so I'm stuck."

Susan and Hannah were obviously scared at the thought that the worst terrorist leader in Britain was still around and the thought that He might be able to come back sooner or later so Harry reassured them said "I don't think he will be able to return for some time but I do think He will be able to return sooner or later. Right now almost every one of his most devoted followers are in Azkaban so I hope that it will take at least three or four years hopefully. That is my main reason for training and preparing that I'm doing right now."

Hannah nodded and said "I'll be joining you in exercising and dueling Harry as my family was targeted in the last war as well and I lost my Uncle, Aunt and a cousin when the Death Eaters killed them."

Susan nodded and said "it goes without saying that I'll be joining you as well, especially since not only am I the last available person for the Ancient and Noble House of Bones to continue but my Aunt is the head of the D.M.L.E."

Harry nodded in understanding then said "we start exercising at 0510 and 1915; we generally exercise for about an hour each time. If you already have exercise clothes I'll expect to see you in the morning, if you don't then I suggest that you get an owl order form from Madam Malkin's and acquire them as soon as possible."

Susan said "I'll be here in the morning then Harry."

Hannah chimed in with "so will I."

"Excellent then, do any of you have any more questions" Harry asked? Seeing them both shake their heads Harry nodded and said "alright then. Now if you could excuse me I need to write a letter to Samuel Greengrass-Davis to inform him of the changes we have discussed, especially the meeting with your Aunt, Susan." While the group started introducing themselves and getting to know one another Harry opened his briefcase and extracted a parchment and his quill while asking Hedwig 'Hedwig can you come here please as I need to send off a letter to Samuel for an update on that meeting I'm scheduled for.'

'I'll be there within two or three minute's master.'

'Thank you my friend.' Harry then wrote down:

Dear Samuel Greengrass-Davis

I write this letter to address some concerns and matters that have come up recently. As you are aware Lord Abbott passed on to me a letter that was meant for both his daughter and Susan Bones. In this letter he passed on his invitation to our group to the both of them. I have the pleasure to report that both of them have decided to join and have taken the necessary Oath's.

When they had both accepted Susan then expressed her hope, or suspicion, that her Aunt Amelia is a closet practitioner as well and stated that in the past she has diverted the Auror's under her command from discovering possible followers of the Old Ways. After imparting this information Susan asked for the chance to ask her Aunt to join us. I accepted and hope that you will consent and agree that I was correct in doing so. I was hoping that we could extract an Oath that what is said in the following meeting would remain secret before the meeting begins, that way if she is not amenable to our group then she will not be able to turn us in. I am willing to take the risk that this entails as if she does agree then the benefits will be immense.

If you do agree to this meeting then I was hoping we could hold it in a secure room in your building as you could make it secure from all outside observation. If a cover story is needed we could always say that we were discussing a possible criminal case concerning an undisclosed party. In addition I was hoping that we could hold this meeting starting at 1300 on the 23rd. I am aware that this is the same day that the meeting between you, Lord Abbott, Dowager Longbottom, Scion Neville Longbottom and myself, but since our meeting starts at 1000 I feel that it will leave plenty of time to discuss all that we need to. If you wish to not do so then I will need to set up another meeting place and possibly time so please inform me if that is your decision.

Finally I wish to pass along to you the information that your daughter Daphne has agreed to accompany me to the Ministry held Yule ball as my date.

Lord Harry Potter of the Ancient and Noble house of Potter

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.