The Last Chance - Cover

The Last Chance

Copyright© 2011 by Ben

Chapter 14

Harry carried out his regular schedule for the next several weeks, until on October 5th when he was approached by Hermione and Neville after breakfast. Hermione said "Harry we have realized that you are more advanced than us in all of our classes. We were wondering if you could help us out in DADA as we aren't learning anything there."

Harry nodded, thinking to himself 'I guess that they finally realized that they need some help, good my plan to get the students to help me in the future can now start in earnest', and asked "is it just you two that want some help or any others as well?"

Neville said "well I talked to Susan and Hannah about getting some help with DADA and they are enthusiastic about potentially learning, and I know that I have some roommates that would like to join as well."

Harry thought for a few seconds then mentally contacted Hogwarts asking 'Lady Hogwarts, if I can supply you with the DADA books from my families stores would you be able to update and make copies of them for me, please? If you can accomplish this in this manner then I will be able to teach my fellow students to the high standards, expected in our other courses, in DADA while circumventing the curse on that position.'

Hogwarts replied almost immediately 'it would be my pleasure. I'll contact one of the house elves here at Hogwarts and have him retrieve the book from you today; I will then update it and provide you with enough copies of the updated copies to supply every student in your year.'

'Thank you milady' Harry directed his gaze onto Hermione and Neville and said "well let me talk to Professor Flitwick and see if he can suggest a room that is central to all of us. I'll teach the subject and I'll even be able to supply some books that will allow us to learn to the same standards that the other courses offer."

Hermione squealed and launched herself into hugging Harry as she babbled "oh that's so great, thank you!"

Harry returned the hug and replied "no need to get that excited Hermione. Now I have to set this up with Professor Flitwick alright?" Seeing them nod enthusiastically Harry then got up and went over to where Professor Flitwick was sitting at the Head table and said "sir I have been approached by some of my fellow students to set up a supplementary DADA course which I will teach. If you agree to this then I will need a room where I will be able to teach it."

Flitwick nodded and asked "what times are you planning to hold the class Mr. Potter?"

Harry mentally ran over his schedule and said "Wednesday from 1500-1700, Saturday from 1500-1700 and Sunday from 1300-1600. I will require the students to attend at least twice a week as I won't tolerate slackness in the classroom. If anyone needs further help I'll see them after Saturday or Sunday."

Flitwick nodded and said "that sounds like it should work. I'll scope out a room you can use, set it up and show it to you when Griselda Marchbanks finishes her lesson, alright? I'll also have the other Heads of Houses announce the times and purposes of the class to their first years." He was silent for a few seconds obviously deep in thought then said "in addition to this I will also announce it to the school tomorrow as well. At that time I will also have you tell the students about it as well."

"Thank you Professor, that would be much appreciated. Oh one thing is that I have Madam Marchbanks teaching me some stuff after the regular class is finished, so if you would meet me at the entrance I would appreciate it." Harry hurried to his room and extracted the DADA book for first years from his trunk and handed it over to the elf that popped in. He made his way back to the great hall and walked over to where Hermione and Neville were standing. He informed them "Professor Flitwick is finding a room for us to use and will show it to me when our etiquette lessons are finished. The lessons will take place on Wednesday from 1500-1700, Saturday from 1500-1700 and Sunday from 1300-1600. That means the first class will be tomorrow, so pass the word alright? Flitwick also said that he would have the various Head of Houses announce to their students that are in first year that this is now available as well."

Neville nodded and replied "thanks, I really appreciate it. I'll post the schedule in my common room."

Hermione smiled while inwardly she was rejoicing 'maybe this will slow him down some! I can finally catch up; and maybe even learn something new in the process!'

Later that day, upon the ending of his private instruction from Griselda, Harry made his way back to Hogwarts. He saw Flitwick waiting at the front gate and when he got close enough asked "were you waiting on me Professor?"

Flitwick nodded and said "I have found you a room that you will be able to use with no problem and placed the same charms on it that are on the DADA classroom that is currently in use. Follow me please." He then led Harry to a room located in the same corridor as the etiquette class, but on the opposite side of the Great Hall. He stepped up to a picture of a princess sitting on a throne knighting a warrior. He said "arise from where you are" and the whole painting and the wall behind it slid up.

Harry walked into the room and saw that it was the same size or a little bit larger than the etiquette class. Looking around he saw that it had several chairs and four large blackboards. Looking around he nodded pleased with the set up.

Flitwick then said "now I have placed a charm on this room so that a faculty member will be able to observe the class while it is happening without them having to actually be here in person. In addition I have created several dummies for you or your classmates to practice their spell work. The last thing I have done is to recreate the barrier that you might be familiar with from your study room." Making a line appear with his wand he said "this line is where the barrier will rise. As with the other room only you will be able to raise it or lower it. To raise it you will have to be on the inside of the barrier, so if you use it I suggest that you work on your shields."

Harry nodded with a pleased expression and replied "that should be great sir. Thank you so much. This room is perfect, thank you." Harry spent some time familiarizing himself with the room and making sure he could activate the barrier and the dummy with no problem. When he finished he made his way back to his bedroom and saw that there were two books sitting on his bed. Looking then over he saw that one of them was his original DADA book and the next was an apparently new book that had been updated. He mentally asked Hogwarts 'milady would you be able to deliver the new books tomorrow right before class? That way I can hand them out to my classmates that show up.'

'I will be able to do so with no problem. I do have some concerns however with how realistically you are going to conduct the class. For instance, how will you handle discipline problems? Will you be handing out homework, and if you do so will you then grade it? Are you going to draw up a lesson plan? Are you going to only have them doing spells, or are you going to teach the theory behind the spells as well? What about the various creatures they would normally be taught about?'

Harry thought about these questions for several minutes and then answered her questions with 'well as far as discipline problems I realistically have the only option to eject them from the class. I will ask Professor Flitwick if I have any other options, if I don't then I will have to rely on ejection from the class. I will be handing out homework and be grading it as well. If a student doesn't show any sign of at least trying then I'll have them not come back as I don't want to waste my time on them. As far as a lesson plan I will draw it up tonight so I at least have some sort of clue to teach this class without having to come across as a clueless idiot. I will be teaching the spells and having the students doing the background to the spells in their homework. As far as the various creatures that would normally be taught I will get into contact with Hagrid and have him help me with that as he should easily be able to procure the various creatures for me.' He thought for a few seconds running over her questions and asked 'does this lay to rest some of your concerns to rest, milady?'

'That it does young sir, thank you. Have a pleasant evening.'

Harry sat in the common room writing down what he needed to teach until right before supper when Professor Flitwick came into the room and looked around. He saw Harry sitting there and went over to him and asked "do you know where the rest of the first years are located right now Harry?"

Harry looked up and said "no not really sir as I have been concentrating on making sure that I will be able to teach tomorrow without any difficulties. On that subject I was wondering what sort of authority I would have in the class as the only option I have right now is ejection from the class."

Flitwick nodded and said "well I can't assign any sort of authority to you as only the Headmaster has that authority, so I am afraid that you will have to rely on ejection as your sole punishment." He thought for a few seconds then said "I have finished talking to my fellow Heads of houses and they have all agreed to talk to their first years students tonight. From what they have said I believe that you can expect all of Hufflepuff and the majority of Gryffindor to arrive. As for Slytherin I believe that you will have about half of them or a little less than that. You should be more aware how Ravenclaw will break down than I am, but I hope that they all come." He paused then said "now for the reason I came here is to ask that you tell all of your year mates that they should come here immediately after supper as I have an announcement for them."

"Sure that will not be a problem Professor. Is there anything else you need to know?"

"No that is all. See you after supper Mr. Potter."

Harry checked the time and seeing that is was almost time for supper to begin gathered up his writings and put them away in his room and went to supper. Once there he passed on Flitwick's request to all of his housemates in his year. Once supper was done he along with the rest of his year mates gathered in the common room.

After they had stood there for about five minutes Flitwick came in and hopped up on a chair. He cleared his throat and announced "I have had you gathered here tonight as I have an announcement for all of you in the first year. As you might know Harry Potter was approached earlier for help in DADA as some of you felt that the current teacher has been less than stellar. Well he approached me asking if he would be able to teach it, agreeing with the sentiment about our teacher I have agreed and he will teach it. Now since he is not a teacher he will be unable to take or award points so the only punishment he will be able to use is ejection and banishment from the classroom. Now I will have Harry tell the student body all of this tomorrow during breakfast along with some more information. In addition to this I am also having my fellow Heads of Houses tell their charges this as well. From what I can tell all of Hufflepuff, about half of Slytherin and most of Gryffindor will be attending this so I hope that Ravenclaw will attend as well. I feel that I must say that DADA is potentially one of the most important subjects that you will ever attend as it ties all of the other courses you are taking, with the exception of Potions, Astronomy and History, together." He looked around then said "now that you know about this I ask that all of you attend tomorrow. I will lead all of you as well as the others interested to the classroom where it will be held after lunch is over. I hope to see you there, good day." He hopped down and left the room.

Harry looked at the time and went for his nightly exercise along with Hermione. After Hermione went to sleep Harry finished off his teaching plan as well as a list of spells he wanted to teach and then went to sleep.

Bedroom of the Headmaster of Hogwarts

Dumbledore cursed silently before going to sleep as he contemplated the students learning magic in DADA. He had spent numerous years finding some of the worst imaginable teachers for that position that he could as well as blocking any and all attempts by the students or teachers to teach a supplementary course to correct their learning. Couldn't they understand that the more people knew the more of them had the potential to hurt each other? In his opinion the only offensive spells they needed to know were Stupefy and Incarcerous. Anything else would hurt someone! Dumbledore sighed to himself once more when he realized that he was constrained from doing anything by Hogwarts itself. He feared for his weapon and wondered in the back of his mind if Voldemort's horcrux had merged with the boy; if it had it could certainly explain the boys' proficiency with magic as he was displaying a considerable knowledge for a first year. Not to mention he had started up that blasted etiquette class; couldn't the parents understand that he had cancelled that class so that the muggleborns would be ostracized from their world? Couldn't they see that having muggleborn's coming into their world in larger numbers would disrupt their way of life? Having them ostracized and discriminated here would ensure that they would leave here as soon as possible and never come back except for the few supplies they needed; or the few that married a pureblood to prevent inbreeding. Oh well, at least he could still insure that they would be ostracized from power in the Wizengamot and the Ministry. With these thoughts Dumbledore turned over and fell asleep.

The next morning Harry awoke and went about his routine until breakfast. When all of the first years were seated in the Great Hall Flitwick popped up and said in a loud voice "attention I have an announcement to make to all the first years please! So if the first years could stay here until breakfast is done with I would appreciate it! Thank you."

After the majority of students had left, leaving the first years grouped onto the ends of the tables nearest the Head Table, Flitwick popped up once more and said "now that breakfast has passed I have the pleasure to announce that there is a DADA course that is now open to all of you. This came about as some of you have felt that the current teacher is not all that good so they asked the top student in your year to consent to teaching them as well as some of their year mates. Now he thought about it and came to me to ask if he could do so; I naturally have granted him permission to do so and am now telling all of you about it. To further elaborate I ask that the designated teacher which is Harry Potter come forward to give you the details."

Harry sighed and went to the front of the high table, after having sonorous cast on him by Flitwick he said "now I was asked to teach this course by some of my house mates as they felt the teacher we currently have is not all that good. Since I agreed with their sentiment I have agreed to teach DADA for all of you. Now since I have been selected to teach this I have some things I want to make all of you absolutely sure of. First is that since I am not an approved teacher I will not be able to take or reward points, nor will I be able to assign detentions. That means that the only punishment I can hand out is to eject you from the class. Second thing I need to make all of you aware of is that I will be treating this as if I was actually a teacher so I will be assigning homework that I expect to receive. In addition I will attempt to not only teach you the various spells that fall under the heading of DADA but I will also attempt to teach you about the various creatures that the course would normally cover. The third thing I need to tell you of is that class times. These are on Wednesday from 1500-1700, Saturday from 1500-1700 and Sunday from 1300-1600. Now I expect all of you to come to the class at least two times a week at a minimum. If you are persistently late or don't attend barring having to go to the healer I will bar you from the class as I am putting a lot of effort into teaching you and expect the same consideration in return. The last thing concerns the classroom where I will be teaching. The classroom has already been approved of and assigned to us by Professor Flitwick and he has graciously consented to lead all of you to it after I finish here."

Flitwick removed the spell of Harry and said "now that you are all aware of what is taking place I ask that all of those interested in this class follow me as I will now lead you to where the classroom is located." He then led the vast majority of first years out of the room.

Looking at who was not following Flitwick Harry noticed that all of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were following Flitwick; while Gryffindor had two people not following while Slytherin had about 1/4 not following, this group included Draco Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson and Ron Weasley; Hermione and Neville had also stayed behind, when he asked them "why didn't you follow Professor Flitwick?"

Hermione answered "we didn't follow because we already know where the class is and we have exercise scheduled with Patricia, right?"

Nodding in understanding the group split up and went to their respective rooms and changed into their exercise clothes. After another grueling exercise they washed off and ate lunch. As soon as he finished Harry went to the room set aside for the class. Once inside he sat behind the desk and mentally said 'milady Hogwarts can you deposit the books here please?'

'Certainly young sir; by the way you can hand these books out to your students and they will become that persons property in perpetuity as they are not covered by any sort of copyright issues.'

'Thank you milady.' Harry saw a huge stack of books materialize on the desk with a slight thump. Harry sat there behind the desk for about ten minutes before the door opened and the first years started filing in. Once everyone was seated Harry stood up and said "I am pleased that all of you have decided to come here thus showing a willingness to learn DADA. Now I will pass out the book that all of you will need to study if you wish to really get a handle on this subject." Harry then flicked his wand and all of the books floated off to land in front of each student. "Now that each of you has your book I will tell all of you the general outlines of what this class will be like."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.