The Last Chance
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2011 by Ben

Harry awoke refreshed and ready for the day. He took the refilled potion flask and drank it. He then dressed in his new workout clothes and went outside and crossed to the back of the castle. He then started jogging along the dirt path until he came upon the henge Venty described yesterday. He looked it over and was awed at the sight of it as well as the ancient and powerful feeling it gave off. Deciding he had spent enough time loitering here he then resumed his jog to the cliff face. He then ran back toward the house. Getting back to the house he was puffing and was definitely slowing down. He decided to run one more lap and barely finished at a jogging pace. He then lay down on the grass and performed twenty sit-ups before turning over and performing twenty push-ups. He then strolled off toward a low and thick branch and was able to perform six pull ups. Realizing that his physical condition sucked and that he needed to get into much better shape he decided to do this three times a day until he left. Going back inside Harry then took a shower and went down to the dinner room and ate a quite good breakfast. Finishing his breakfast he mentally called out 'Hedwig are you awake?'

'Yes master. Something I can do for you?'

'I need a letter delivered to Samuel Greengrass. By the time you get here it should be ready. Were the elves able to clean the owlery?'

'Yes they did. It looks quite splendid. I will be there shortly.'

Harry made his way to the library and wrote out a letter to Samuel Greengrass-Davis.

Dear Samuel Greengrass-Davis,

I write this to you in the hope that everything is proceeding to plan so far. The reason I am writing this to you now is the fact that I find I need to hire a person well versed in Herbology. The place I am now residing has greenhouses attached to it. They are quite extensive and look to be in good shape. However the contents of said greenhouses have not been tended to since the last occupant was here which as you may know was just under three hundred years ago. I would like this person to be willing to take on the challenge of restoring them to their former glory. This person will also need to be able to perform some small shopping needs for me. Such might be potion supplies or the like as once Dumbledore comes out of the I.C.W. meeting I am likely to be sought after most tenaciously and plan on staying on the grounds as much as possible.

I propose to pay this person a good wage and will be able to provide room and board as well if this person has need of it. I don't care if this person is a werewolf or any other "dark creature" as long as the proper precautions have been seen to. I would also like this person to sign a confidentiality agreement that you would draw up to make sure that this person is not either a Death Eater or a pureblood supremacist. If this could be taken care of relatively soon (before the week is out would be preferable) I would be appreciate it. Thank you for your time. Tell Hedwig (the owl that brought this letter) if there will be any immediate reply or not. She is quite intelligent and will be able to understand you.

Your client (and hopefully friend)

Lord Harry James Potter

Harry rolled up the letter and went outside. He saw Hedwig making her way to him and petted her when she landed on his shoulder. He then attached the letter to her leg and mentally said 'I told him to tell you if there would be an immediate reply or not so wait around until he reads it ok?'

'Sure thing master.'

'Have a safe flight.' Harry watched as she made her way until he lost sight of her in the clouds. He then made his way to the library and wrote in the ledger: a spell for setting an alarm for a certain time

The book instead of listing a assortment of titles came back with spell known as paro timor vicis as (specified time taking into account a twenty four hour clock; for example 1 p.m. is 1300). Wand movements are a clockwise circle. Upon successful casting of the spell an image of the alarm time will appear with a bell hovering over it.

Taking his wand Harry cast the spell and got it right on his second time trying it. He sat the alarm for 1100. He then turned back to the ledger and wrote: Beginning Occlumency, Intermediate Occlumency

The ledger listed four titles and Harry activated the retrieval system. He took the books and read the titles. He decided Protecting Your Mind basics to advanced was the one he wanted to start on. He read for two hours then decided to start the exercises. The first exercise was to picture yourself in your mind. Harry sat for several minutes until he suddenly opened his eyes and saw that he was standing on a grassy plain that stretched from horizon to horizon. Recalling that the second exercise was to place a physical representation of where he wanted to store his memories he called up a representation of Hogwarts and the surrounding area. He then pictured the black lake and the mermaid city underneath it. He went down to it and saw that the city looked the same as when he saw it during the second task of his fourth year. He then went into one of the buildings and started sorting all of his memories into files. He mentally labeled them: Dursley's, Charms, Transfiguration, Herbology, Potions, Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures, Patronus memories, hexes, jinxes, dying, meeting my Death Angel, meeting The Goddess and God, meeting my parents, things I've already done and plans for my tasks facing me. Sorting everything felt like it took days and he was slightly depressed as he had to relive all of the memories as he was sorting them. He withdrew from the lake and looked around. Recalling the next step he erected a sphere around everything in sight. He nodded and decided that he had completed all of the tasks set for now he withdrew his presence and opened his eyes.

He cast a quick tempus and saw that it was only 923. Shaking his head he continued reading the book until he heard Hedwig saying 'master I am on my way back and I have a letter for you from Mr. Greengrass-Davis. He wrote that he knows of someone available. He has set up an appointment for 1315 at his office for you to meet this person and sign the confidentiality agreement.'

'Excellent. Thank you for your help Hedwig.' He called out "Venty" and addressed the elf that appeared said "Mr. Greengrass-Davis has found a person willing to be hired for taking care of the greenhouses here. He has set up an appointment for 1315 at his office for me to meet this person and I intend on leaving here at 1250. So if you could make sure that a presentable robe and my slacks are ready for me when I finish lunch I would be grateful." The elf bowed and popped away. Deciding that meant yes Harry went back to reading the book.

After about ten minutes Hedwig came into the room and landed in front of him. Taking the letter from her he said 'thank you Hedwig. Would you like to read with me when I'm done with this letter?'

'Sure thing master.'

'Great.' He then read:

Dear Lord Harry James Potter

This letter is to inform you that I do know of a person you might hire. This witch has obtained a Mastery in Herbology and will be able to restore your greenhouses quite easily. Her name is Patricia O'shanery. She is forty years old and up until recently was quite well respected in her field. However that all changed eight months ago when working in the field she was bitten by a werewolf. Since then she has been ostracized from any jobs she might be able to find. She has her own supply of the Wolfsbane potion and has no intention of harming anyone. This job will be a gift of massive proportions to her as she is currently homeless and her money supplies are getting desperately low. I know of her case as she is a distant relative of one of my wives.

Patricia has indicated that she is more than willing to be hired on as a caretaker for your greenhouses and will be more than willing to sign a confidentiality agreement. In addition to her mastery in Herbology she was also on track to gaining a Mastery in Defense. This would allow her to also be in a position of a protector of your lands if the need ever arises. In addition to this she is also a 6th Dan black belt in Krav Maga which is a martial art that is quick and decisive.

Since I assume you would want to meet Patricia before hiring her I have set aside a time block from 1315 to 1345 for you to meet her and sign the confidentiality agreement.

Your friend

Samuel Greengrass-Davis

Putting the letter away Harry turned once more to the book. Finishing the book Harry wondered why Occlumency wasn't taught to every witch or wizard. The benefits were immense. For the true masters it would eliminate all but two hours of sleep. It also allowed perfect recall of everything: so a wizard could read a book and go into his or her mind and read it several times to make sure they comprehended it. It also allowed a witch or wizard to in essence dilate time as they could go into their mindscape and sort out what they wanted; for instance say you had a homework essay to write, you could write it out and constantly rewrite it until it was perfect. Normally this would take an hour or two, but by doing it in your mindscape it would only take a handful of minutes. It also allowed the practitioner to more easily resist the Imperio curse. Shaking his head he finished the book. He looked at the titles still waiting and decided Occlumency intermediate to advanced would be next to read on his list. Harry read the book for the rest of his time until he was startled by a ringing sound. Looking around he cast a tempus and saw that it was 1100.

Putting the book down Harry then went outside and repeated his exercises from earlier. Once he finished he made his way up to his bedroom and took a quick shower. He then dressed in a lounging around robe and went down for his lunch. Finishing his lunch he went back to his room and dressed in the clothes that were laid out. He then apparated to the Leaky Cauldron and made his way to the law office. Once more he opened the door into the reception area and saw that there was no one behind the desk. Wondering what was going on he cast a quick tempus and saw that it was 1258. He realized that the receptionist was probably on lunch break and sat down.

He had been sitting there for about three minutes when the door opened and the receptionist came in. She saw him and smiled and said "back again so soon handsome?"

"Yeah, I guess so. I have a 1315 appointment with Mr. Greengrass-Davis."

"Alrighty then. I'll tell you when he is ready for you alright?"

"Thank you." Harry leaned back and decided to access his memories and review the Occlumency book he had read earlier. While he was doing this a part of his mind wondered why he was able to so clearly understand the writing of the books as they were all at least three hundred years old. Deciding to ask the painting of Hywel he put that aside for the moment. Harry spent what felt like several hours mentally rereading the book. Looking around at the shield he decided to put another one up. This one would be slightly smaller than the original but would be made out of tungsten. Harry recalled from his abbreviated schooling that this was considered one of if not the strongest metal known. Harry had a mental tendril connect to the first shield to warn him of any intrusions.

Harry suddenly heard a voice say "Mr. Greengrass is ready for you now Lord Potter."

Harry opened his eyes and followed the receptionist to the office. Opening the door she waved him in. Harry walked in and saw not only Samuel there but a woman as well. In appearance she was about 5'3" tall, looked as if she was extremely fit once upon a time, but suffering from lack of food now. She had long hair reaching down to the small of her back that was the color of faded copper. His skin was so pale to be almost translucent. He age physically wise looked to be about to be in her early twenties. Harry stepped forward and said "Mr. Greengrass-Davis it is a pleasure to meet you again. I assume this Is Ms. O'shanery?"

"Yes this is her. Patricia I would like to introduce the person interested in hiring you Lord Harry James Potter. Lord Potter may I introduce Patricia O'shanery."

Harry shook the hand of Patricia and said "it's a pleasure to meet you ma'am. Now Samuel has told me of what happened to you and I have no problem with you having, as my dad described it 'a furry little problem, ' and I am more than willing to hire you."

Patricia had a gob smacked expression on her face when she learned exactly who would be hiring her. She chuckled when she heard the phrase 'furry little problem' and gained a smile that lightened up the room. She then said "I would be honored sir if you want to hire me."

Harry nodded and said "now let me tell you what I want to hire you for. The main thing would be the restoration and upkeep of my greenhouses. The second thing would be to run small errands for me when I need something that my elves can't or won't get. These items will most likely be potion supplies and the like. I will tell you of the reasons for this once you sign the confidentiality agreement. The last thing I would like for you to do is to instruct me in the martial arts as well as dueling. I have many enemies walking free and clear due to the Wizengamot and I am willing to fight them if I must do so."

Patricia nodded and said "no problem sir. I would like to be hired and I have no problem with any of the tasks you have stated. I look forward to working for you."

Samuel then said "Lord Harry I assume from reading your letter that you are uninformed of what a good wage is in the wizarding world?"

"No clue really; I do know that a yearly income for the upper middle class is about 1,300 galleons, other than that I have no idea."

Samuel said "a salary of 1,300 galleons a year is in the lower upper-class range. For a person with a Mastery in Herbology the standard would be about 75 to 80 galleons a month. With you supplying room and board it would be about 63 galleons a month. That sounds about right."

Harry nodded and said "if she is willing to sign the confidentiality agreement and take a witches Oath then I would have no problem paying her 70 galleons a month and supplying room and board."

Patricia with some trepidation showing in her voice asked "what would the details of the Oath be?"

Harry answered "to never tell anyone where you are working, to never bring anyone to my property, to defend the property if it ever comes under attack and to never tell anyone who you are working for."

Patricia nodded and said "that sounds reasonable. I would not have a problem swearing that."

Samuel nodded and said "excellent." He then slid two parchments toward each of them and said "these are the confidentiality agreements. Read them through and sign on the second page please."

Harry read the parchments and signed, wincing as he realized it was a blasted blood quill. He then exchanged copies of the agreement with Patricia and signed them as well. He slid the signed agreement back to Samuel and turned to Patricia and said "before I can tell you anything more I need that Oath."

Patricia nodded and holding her wand said "I Patricia O'shanery swear on my life and magic that I will never reveal the location of Lord Harry Potter, the location of where I am living while still employed by Lord Harry Potter, to never allow anyone entrance to the property of Lord Harry Potter unless they are expected and approved by Lord Harry Potter, to defend the property of Lord Harry Potter if it ever needs defending, to keep any secrets I learn while employed by him for all time and to remain true and faithful to Lord Harry Potter as long as I am employed by him. So mote it be."

Harry said "so mote it be" signifying he accepted and acknowledged the oath. He then explained to her all that had taken place in the last two days and finished with "you now know my story. Do you still wish to work for me?"

Patricia nodded and replied "I have no problem working for you. I have mistrusted Dumbledore for quite some time. In fact I have mistrusted him ever since I was sorted into Ravenclaw. That house has a deep and abiding mistrust of Dumbledore due to his favoring of the Gryffindors and possibly his use of memory charms on students who complain about the actions of the students from that house."

"Alright then," Harry turned to Samuel and asked "is there anything else?"

Samuel shook his head and said "no there isn't. Have a good day Lord Potter and Patricia."

Harry and Patricia made their way to the Leaky Cauldron. Once they got there Harry turned to Patricia and said "I need to apparate to my home and key you into the wards. I will be back shortly." He then apparated to the library and asked Hywel "how do I allow someone to enter the grounds as I just hired someone to take care of the greenhouses as well as teach me dueling and martial arts."

Hywel nodded and said "place your hand on the bloodstone and say 'I allow (their name) entrance to this castle.' The bloodstone will pulse signifying that the person is now allowed entrance."

Harry did as instructed and saw the bloodstone pulse. He then opened his trunk and retrieved the portkey. Once he had it he apparated back to the Leaky Cauldron. Once there he held it out to Patricia and said "hold onto this as it is a portkey to the entrance of my home." Once she did so Harry spoke the activation phrase and they reappeared in front of the gate. Harry and Patricia made their way to the castle and went inside. Once inside the castle Harry called out "Venty" and said to the elf "this is my newest employee Patricia O'shanery. She is to take care of the greenhouses as well as teaching me the martial arts. She will be living here as well. So if you could direct her to where her room will be I would appreciate it."

Patricia and Venty meandered off and Harry went to the storage closet to gather the hoops for his apparition practice. After about ten minutes of apparating back and forth he saw Patricia come out the front door.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.