The Last Chance - Cover

The Last Chance

Copyright© 2011 by Ben

Chapter 1

June 15 1995

#4 Privet Drive is the most normal house in the middle of the most normal neighborhood in Surrey. If you look inside you will find the most normal stuff in existence as if the owners sought out the appliances and decorations striving for normality. The only strange thing about the house visible to outsiders was the door to the smallest bedroom upstairs. The door was thick and heavy with multiple locks and bolts on the outside, with a cat-flap at the bottom. The reason for the door lay upon the rickety bed staring blankly at the ceiling. His name is Harry Potter.

Harry lay unmoving upon his bed gazing blankly upon his ceiling; his eyes were red and puffy from weeping almost constantly from remembering his godfather falling through the veil in the bowels of the Chamber of Mysteries. Harry had been running the entire fiasco of the battle through his head for two weeks now, along with the bombshell that Dumbledore had finally told him concerning the prophecy between him and Voldemort. 'I need to write this down to think clearly.' He suddenly sat up and went to his desk. Getting up he went to his desk and pulled out a piece of paper and pen. 'Let's see ... There's the whole prophecy which tells me that either I kill or get killed by Voldemort. The belief of Dumbledore thinks that love will defeat Voldemort. The loss of Sirius through the Veil. The fact that Dumbledore has been concealing the prophecy from me. The fact that I fell for a trick vision sent by Voldemort. The utter fiasco of battling Death Eater's with stunners while they were trying to kill us. The fact that I had no plan and no utter clue of what I was doing in the fight, just surviving by my wits and reflexes. The fact that all of my friends followed me and got hurt. All due to me, God I'm pathetic.'

"Let's see how this breaks down. Dumbledore the Leader of the Light, Head of the Order of the Phoenix, Headmaster of Hogwarts etc. Concealing the prophecy that my parents died over, and saw me facing Voldemort in my first, second, fourth and fifth years at school. Who cast the Fidelius charm for my parents? For that matter if it was good enough protection for my parents facing Voldemort at the height of his powers back then, why was it not good enough to protect me some place where I would be cared for? Why did he put me here? Was it the wish of my parents? Then there are my school years. In the first year: why was the stone even in the school in the first place? Those traps couldn't even keep three first years out. For that matter how could you not tell something was off with Quirrell? Second year: a 12 year old figured out it was a basilisk but no teacher could? Why didn't the teachers stop the rumor that I was the Heir of Slytherin? Fourth year I was entered by a polyjuiced Death Eater. How could you not tell that a personal friend was strange? I mean he cast Imperious on us in class! Why didn't that set off an alarm? Then I was used to resurrect Voldemort using my blood. Wait a second, if my blood was used in the ritual then why is Dumbledore using Blood Wards to protect me, aren't they useless now? Fifth year: how could you let Umbridge even enter the school, much less teach defense? Having Snape mind rape me under the guise of teaching me. Letting Umbridge torture students using a blood quill? How does that happen? Not to mention avoiding me the entire year.'

'Let's see the battle in the D.O.M. Using stunners against Death Eater's while their trying to kill us? Going in with no plan? Losing Sirius? All of this because I am isolated, ignored and abused by my relatives, Dumbledore, and Voldemort. I can't tell who's worse.'

Suddenly a tapping sound could be heard from his window. Harry rose and opened the window letting in the owl. "Hey Hedwig, nice flight?" The owl bobbed her head in a show of seemingly agreement. Harry looked at Hedwig and decided to use her as a sounding board. "Hedwig let me tell you some things and maybe you could help me sort them out, ok?" He then told her all that he had written down ending with "well Hedwig what can I do about this? I can't write to Ron or Hermione, or Dumbledore. So who can I contact? The ministry is out, the Order is out, and Ron and Hermione are out. Neville is possible, Luna is on vacation, Ginny is out, everyone I know is out so who's left?" After running through everyone who he could think of and coming up blank he noticed Hedwig fly over to his desk from her perch and grab his vault key. "The goblins hunh? The only one I know of is Griphook maybe he could help."

Grabbing a piece of parchment and quill from his trunk he started to write a letter. Master Griphook this letter may come as a surprise to you, but I feel that I have no one else to contact concerning my concerns. I hope that you will be able to help me with some things. I will gladly pay for your help. To adequately convey my requests I need a way to contact you or a representative without alerting the "guardians" where I am currently living. If you could send some help or a portkey I would be most appreciative. Sincerely Harry Potter. P.S. I left a drop of blood on the bottom for verification purposes. Harry then rolled up the parchment and told Hedwig well here you go girl, take this to Griphook and wait for a reply alright? Then opened the window and watched as she flew away.

Two days and sleepless nights later he heard the familiar tapping sound of Hedwig. Springing up from his bed he opened the window and let Hedwig in. Taking the scroll tied to her leg he sat down and opened it.

Master Potter this letter is in reply to your request. We have decided to comply with your request. The letter will become a portkey at 2300 June 17th and will remain so for 5 minutes. It will transport you to a secure room in Gringotts with the phrase Gold is Good. We look forward to seeing you then.

Rangok Head of the Goblin Council.

"Well girl looks like I have a meeting to go to. Now I need to prepare for the meeting. Let's make a list of things I want and see if they can help or offer advice."

1) Find out how the Ministry tracks magic and how to avoid being detected.

2) Acquire another wand for backup and be able to duel Voldie.

3) Find a new home undetectable by Dumbledore or Voldie

4) Get books on Spells, Potions, Transfiguration, Conjuring, Runes, and Spell Crafting

5) Some sort of Time device

6) Occlumency and Legilimency

7) Full comprehensive medical checkup

8) Fix my eyes or get contacts

9) Learn family history

10) Dueling

11) Physical Fitness

"How does that sound girl? Do you think I missed anything?" Hedwig looked at the list, having sat on Harry's shoulder when he was writing the list, and nipped his ear in agreement with it. She then went to her perch and fell asleep. "Well that's that, I guess. Now I just wait till tomorrow night."

June 17th 2255

Dressed in black robes with a concealing hood on, with Hedwig perched upon his shoulder Harry was ready for the portkey to activate. "Well girl here goes. Gold is Good." With these words Harry disappeared from the room and was suddenly spinning in the transport to Gringott's. Upon arriving he promptly fell on his backside with Hedwig landing on top of him. Harry looked up and saw three goblin warrior's holding pikes pointed at him. "Umm Hello, I believe I'm expected?"

Disturbingly grinning one of them said "Follow me wizard."

Getting up and grabbing his remaining shreds of dignity Harry complied after putting Hedwig upon his shoulder. He followed the goblin through the large door out of the cavern he had landed in and watched in astonishment as the goblin seemingly walked through a solid wall. Hurrying to catch up he stepped through and entered a large room with a goblin sitting upon a huge chair behind a desk, with Griphook sitting beside him on a less ornate chair. The goblin he was following stopped and spoke up "Lord Rangok I present Harry Potter".

"Sit down Mister Potter." As Harry complied the Goblin said "you asked for this meeting did you not?"

"Yes sir I did. I have a list here that contains my list of wants and anther that lists my worries and apprehensions about Dumbledore." As he said this he withdrew the two lists and laid them upon the desk before Rangok.

Griphook took the lists and handed them to Rangok who spent around five minutes studying them. He then cleared his throat and said "well this is certainly something that we can help you with young Master Potter. As for your requests they can be taken care of. However would you please use the pensive over there and show us some of your complaints please?"

"That shall be no problem Master Rangok, and please just call me Harry." With having said that Harry walked over and putting his wand to his temple started placing several silvery strands into the bowl, concentrating upon his abuse at the Dursley's, his confrontation with Voldemort in the first year, the second year and his fight with the basilisk and the diary of Tom Riddle, the third year and his meeting in the shrieking shack with Lupin and Sirius, driving off over 100 dementors, the reaction of the minister, the fourth year and his name coming out of the goblet and Dumbledore's telling him he had to compete, the three tasks, his part in the resurrection of Voldemort, the fight, the escape and again the reaction of the minister, his fifth year consisted of the dementor attack upon him and the trial, the appointment of Umbridge, the detentions and use of the blood quill, the statement that Umbridge was the one that sent the dementors, the attempted use of Veritaserum, the forming of the D.A., the visions, he mind rape by Snape, the goon squad of Slytherins, the vision of Sirius being tortured in the D.O.M., the fight, the loss of Sirius through the veil, the eventual appearance of Voldemort, and finally the ministers reaction. Finished for now and holding back the prophecy he stepped back and said "done".

Griphook looked over at Rangok and waited for his nod, he then walked over and touched several runes on the edge of the bowl and sat back down when a projection started playing. Harry then provided commentary upon his adventures. When the playing had finished Rangok looked at the wall obviously deeply concerned and contemplative. He then spoke up "Griphook please replay the basilisk fight concentrating on the dairy please."

When that had been played through several times he looked at Harry and asked "Please call me Rangok Harry, for you have definitely earned the respect of the Goblins with your actions. Now onto business, do you know what that dairy was?"

"No, I just assumed it was a creation of Voldie and it was trying to possess Ginny. Why?"

"That young Harry was a horcrux, and changes a great many things." Upon hearing the word horcrux Griphook whipped his head and looked at Rangok with a look of absolute horror upon his face.

"What is a horcrux sir?"

"The work of the worst evil magic I have ever heard of. It requires the murder of an absolute innocent and the tearing of your soul. It is used to cheat death and live even after being killed, but what comes back will no longer be fully sane. It is considered the worst magic that could be done and it is required in treaty that the Goblin Council is informed when one is discovered. Since Dumbledore and the ministry did not inform us it constitutes a grave breech and insult to us." He then frowned and then looked directly at Harry. "Harry without the knowledge of the horcrux we would have helped you with a large fee, however the Goblin race will now help you with a small fee if you promise to end Voldemort."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.