Winds of Change
Chapter 21

All rights reserved © 2006 by R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

“Grant, can you come to Broadsword?” Jerry asked over the intercom.

“I’ll be right there.”

“Can we come also?” asked Sabrina.

“Sure.”

The three moved quickly to the rear entrance of Broadsword’s bunker, and were surprised to see the amount of activity on and around the boat. Jerry was on the bridge when they approached the boat, and he urged them to come aboard, and said, “Skipper, I’m afraid I missed some things in my first appraisal of this boat.”

“How is that?” Grant asked,

“I was not aware Broadsword’s armament is modular. We’ve started shifting things and believe we can cut the main crew needed to only five using the configuration we’re presently setting in place. If the larger deck guns are needed then those will require a dedicated person, but most of the stuff can be handled by two men, though, if necessary, they could be fired by one man, or from the helm. The biggest problem will be that, with the reduced crew, the boat can’t fight multiple targets at the same time.”

How much training is needed to handle the weapons systems?”

“Actually, a good video gamer would probably do the job because most of this is as simple as using a joystick to center the cross-hairs on the target, and pressing the fire button on top. A second button can cycle through the different screens to select different targets, and a third can cycle through different weapons.”

“If that’s the case, could I use Michael and Bobby for weapons control?”

“If they’re like most teenage boys it’d probably take me less than thirty minutes to get them trained,” answered a very pleased Jerry.

“Then get with Tom for permission and get them on board. Anything else?”

“I thought you might want to see the Captain’s Cabin.”

“If he doesn’t, we do,” answered Beth.

“Jerry,” asked Grant, “do we have a room that would be suitable as a brig?”

“We actually have a brig. In addition, when I said it could carry a hundred with supplies, that’s using standard cubicles. For a short term mission like to Virginia we could handle two hundred or more.”

“I just wish we had that many people available,” Grant sighed. “Even with our greater weapon strength, we’re greatly outnumbered.”

Jerry led Grant and his wives to the Captain’s cabin. The three were floored by the beautiful natural wood paneling that adorned the walls, the contrasting colors of the furniture, and even the soft comfortable texture of the rug. The bed was king sized and very comfortable. “I’m ready to go with you,” exclaimed Beth.

“I am also,” added Sabrina.

“I’d love to have both of you, but someone’s got to take care of our children. Hopefully, I won’t have to be gone for long.”

“We really could help,” pleaded Sabrina.

“I know you could sweetheart, but all of you together will be a distraction that might get me killed.”

After that statement by Grant the women didn’t say another word on the subject. Instead, the three finished their rushed tour of the boat before returning to the house. When they arrived they learned Sioux was organizing a cookout on the back deck with a planned general meeting to follow.

While Sioux, Beth, Sabrina and other wives prepared for the meal Grant met with John, Victor, Mike Samuels, Brad Tyson, Jerry Allen, Fran and his brothers in his office. Also included were Naval Academy Instructors Tony Bacon, Al Rogers, and Josh Barns (the instructor who specialized in small craft practices). They were tightly packed and over half were standing, but Grant felt that this meeting was an important prelude to the one that followed.

“Gentlemen,” Grant began, “We’ve put together a basic battle plan and, in one way or another, each of you will play a crucial role. Cutlass, commanded by Captain Ben McGraw, is already on its way to Virginia, and I’ll be following in Broadsword. Once we join I’ll be sending Cutlass north to destroy British ships around Boston, New York and the Delaware River. Cal Peterson will man the helm along with one of our midshipmen. Victor, I’d like you, Barbara and Tina with me, along with Sophie, and seven crewmen, including two SEALs. I also want Gabe and two squads of Marion’s men, Bobby Johnson and Michael Camden, along with our three Asians.”

“What do you want me to do?” asked Admiral Gains.

“Basically, you’ll be my Executive Officer, Adviser and Fleet Commander in training. I also need for you to select our crew, as you’re familiar with the people from your boat.”

“I don’t have a problem assuming the position of Exec, but I don’t think we can come up with more than six crewmen. Also, I’m not familiar with Bobby Johnson and Michael Camden. Who are they and what will they be doing?”

Jerry answered, “They’re two teenagers, and they’ll be your fire control officers. It seems fighting with Broadsword is almost like a video game, and these two should have the most experience with such things. I’ve already got Tom’s permission for them to go, and I’ll get them started on simulations shortly.”

Grant resumed, “I want Mike Samuels to command the Stiletto and deal with all British ships from Cumberland Island in Georgia to the Cape Fear River in southern North Carolina. Mike, utilize the sea monster idea as much as possible, as long as you can do so without endangering yourself. I hope to utilize sailor’s fears of it in the future. Also, remember your priority is to protect Charleston and Santee-Georgetown.”

“Aye aye, Skipper.”

“Al, I want you and Josh to command the Rapier and the Saber and patrol further out at sea looking for the remainder of the British Fleet. You can assemble your crew and take a day or two to familiarize yourselves to your new command. The one thing I’d like you to do, besides destroying ships, is locate the command ship. I want to find the other uptimer and find out how he got here. Any questions?”

“Who’ll be able to help us prepare?” asked Josh.

Grant answered, “Jerry and Brad will remain here and both are familiar with Stiletto, so the transition to the larger version shouldn’t be too difficult. In addition, Jerry will be our general support person concerning communications and electronics, because he’s the only one with his training and experience we have. That situation will change in the future, but, in the meantime, he’s got to spread himself over the fleet, and the best place to do that would be from here.”

“I’d have thought he could do that from Broadsword,” remarked Al Rogers, “and you’d have him available on your flagship.”

“I thought seriously about it,” replied Grant, “but decided it was too likely he might be needed by one of the others while we’re in a crucial situation ourselves. The needs of the fleet are more important than one boat, even mine.”

“I hadn’t considered that, but I’m glad you did,” responded Al.

Grant turned to Fran, and asked, “Does your men going with me mean I need Gabe or Isaac, or are they staying with you?”

“We’ve been reviewing our objectives with our squad leaders and we’ve decided Isaac will go with you to help coordinate their efforts. In the meantime, Gabe will be helping me recruit men and locate weapons for our initial battle here in Charleston and, later, our push to the west and north.”

Brad added, “In your recruiting, see if you can also find some blacksmiths or mechanically inclined people that can help us make parts for the breech-loaders.”

“Actually, that shouldn’t be hard, because jobs are scarce at the moment,” answered Gabe.

“Are we going to have any problems acquiring more lead?” asked Grant.

“No,” answered Gabe. “With the Governor’s new rule on fowling shot we’re going into the shot business. We’ll buy lead bricks, melt them and part of that will go through a process to make what Drew calls dropped shot. The shot is measured and wrapped in thin paper and sealed with wax. Part of our sales price is an equal weight amount of their old shot. We’ve made certain everyone knows the paper is supposed to be discarded after pouring in to the barrel, but we tell our friends how to really use them.”

“Smart,” laughed Grant, “we make money on the sale, get lead for more shot and we make sure the Governor knows we’re carefully making sure his directions are satisfied. If some people ignore the directions and keep the shot in the paper, then that’s not our fault. What about the switch to percussion caps?”

Brad answered, “Drew and I have been making the hammers as we’ve had time, but that job will be moving over to Larry Price, who’ll cast the hammers rather than cutting and grinding them. He used a process I had forgotten about called investment casting to make his molds. Once we’ve sufficient inventory we can do the conversions while people wait. When they make the switch we’ll also offer them a powder and shot combination pack as an additional product.”

Isaac added, “Grant, after the demonstration of the use of the powder / shot pack and the percussion cap, I realized another key selling point to our customers. When we used raw shot we usually waited until just before we were ready to fire to load the shot because it’d fall out if the barrel was tilted downward. The use of the shot pack and the percussion cap enables us to keep the gun ready to fire at all times. Even after the Redcoats are driven out, we’ll still have a strong market for our shot packs and combination packs.”

“Your right, that fact will definitely enhance the fowling piece as a hunting weapon.”

“Grant, since you didn’t include Sioux or me among the crews, I’m assuming you want us to remain here?”

“John I’d love to have you as my Exec, or manning any of our helms, especially mine. The problem is I don’t have anyone I trust more than you to safeguard my family or to see things are moving forward here at home base. You have a lot happening here, but I’ll rest better knowing the two of you are in charge.”

John and Sioux didn’t have to say a word because their face said it all. They no longer questioned their worth, or their place in this new world, and that lifted their spirits and elevated their confidence.

“Don’t worry, Grant; we’ll make sure things are covered here. Now, let’s go eat and get crew assignments put in place.”

“I’ll be there in a few minutes, but I need to visit the prisoners for a few minutes and let them talk me into throwing them into ‘that there briar patch.’”

Everyone but Barbara was puzzled at Grant’s comment, but no one asked about it. Barbara, on the other hand, caught her self softly singing, “Zippidy do da, zippidy day,...”

Grant entered the makeshift brig at the same time their food was delivered, and said, “Eat up gentlemen, because this might be our last meal together.”

Frightened by Grant’s comment, the lawyer, Malcolm Ivey, asked, “What do you mean by that?”

“Well, it appears we’ll be going into battle later tonight with British forces, and I’ve got to make a decision what to do about you. I don’t need you to warn the British of our existence.”

“We won’t tell, exclaimed Wilson Carlisle in a high pitched voice full of fear.

Smelling a possible out, Todd asked, “Can you just put us off somewhere out of the way? By the time anyone could find us you should be long gone.”

“Well we’re going up the Potomac a good ways. We could put you onshore a few miles from DC, but I’ll warn you things there right now will be a mess, a virtual quagmire.”

“We’re used to how DC can be. If you could do that, I promise we’ll be grateful to you for the rest of our lives.”

Grant stood pensively for a few moments, and said, “Well, it’s against my better judgment, but I’ll do it. You better eat up, because we’ll be leaving shortly.”

The three men were ready to party when Grant left the room. Of course, they couldn’t see him biting his lower lip to keep from laughing.

Barbara, who had been watching the security camera, met him on the way to the deck. She was laughing like the infamous Br’er Rabbit.

“How did you do that with a straight face?” she asked.

“I kept biting my lower lip, but I had to keep reminding myself I was telling them the truth. It was their interpretation that’s flawed.”

“Well, your choice of words didn’t help any.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.