A Sentimental Heart - Cover

A Sentimental Heart

Copyright© 2011 by angie65

Chapter 13

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 13 - A cool head against a warm heart; which will win out in the end?

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Romantic   Heterosexual  

"What's this?" he narrowed his gaze on the envelope, which she had just dropped on to his desk.

"It's my resignation," Miranda stated calmly.

He picked it up and tore open the envelope, and it was only as he began to read the few simple lines, that he realised that he'd not really believed her.

"Why?" how he managed to keep the utter desolation, and sense of betrayal out of his voice, and keep his tone coolly curious – he'd never know.

"I want to thank you M ... Marcus, for giving me the opportunity to work here, but ... I think that it would be better for everyone if I just ... moved on. I would appreciate it if you would release me from any obligation as of today ... I've been offered a position at 'Fletchers and Craine..."

Marcus frowned up at her. "I know Bob Craine," he said sharply and Miranda gained the impression that he knew and did not like Bob Craine.

"That's nice," she said lightly. "A reference from you will have that much more value then."

"Huh!" he almost snapped, as he felt a wave of relief wash over him. "If they've offered you a position already, then why do you need a reference?" He was being petty – he knew it, but he just could not seem to help himself ... she wanted to leave him!

Miranda looked at him in surprise. "The offer is of course pending a favourable reference from my current employer."

"I'll give Bob a call later today, and have a word with him." Marcus put her letter to one side, and bent his attention to the rest of his mail.

"So I can finish at the end of today?" Miranda asked pointedly.

She just couldn't wait it seemed, couldn't wait to leave him!

"Yes I'll make sure that your final wages are paid into your account by the end of the week and if you can finish up any outstanding work – then I see no reason to stretch this out ... I'll leave you to inform Mrs Roberts." Now that was just mean – but he couldn't seem to help himself ... she wanted to leave him!

He went back to his mail, and Miranda took the hint and walked back to the door.

She turned back suddenly. "You ... you won't forget ... will you Marcus – to give Mr Craine a call?" she asked hesitantly.

He flicked a hand negligently – without even bothering to look up. "Of course not."

He heard the door open and then close, and only then did he sit back in his chair to glare across at that door.

His scowl stayed in place for a full minute; and then suddenly it smoothed out again, to be replaced with a thoughtful smile.

Bob Craine was an associate – and a good friend ... his scowl came and went again.

It didn't alter the fact that she wanted to leave him though!


She had been back at her desk for just over an hour when the telephone rang.

"Phillips' Pharmaceuticals – Mrs Roberts speaking," she listened for a moment before pressing a button. "It's for you Miranda."

Miranda picked up the telephone. "Miranda Redmond?" she said absently.

"Ah ... Miss Redmond!" the voice was familiar and Miranda frowned as she tried to place it. "Bob Craine here ... I'm afraid I've some rather disappointing news..."

Miranda sat and listened with a heavy heart to the man at the other end of the phone.

"Yes Miss Redmond, I'm very sorry that we are unable to proceed with your application, and appointment. We would like to thank you though for your interest in our organisation and maybe at some future point..."

"Thank you for calling me Mr Craine, I really do appreciate that you took the time and trouble." Miranda replaced the receiver and sat staring at it for a moment.

"Is there a problem Miranda?" Mrs Rogers asked pointedly, as her subordinate didn't seem to want to continue with her work.

Miranda looked across at the older woman. "No Mrs Rogers – nothing that can't be sorted – I'm sure of it."

She bent her attention to her work and allowed her personal problems to be swept aside for the moment. There would be time enough to fret over them all soon enough.


Marcus sat in his office and waited smugly for Miranda to come meekly back and withdraw her resignation ... to ask to keep her job and to be allowed to stay with him...

He should have known better!


Miranda worked through her day, trying to keep her head down and not draw attention to herself.

"I must say," Mrs Roberts spoke out suddenly, "that you have been very quiet this morning Miranda ... I hope that you're not sickening for something?" she was almost accusing, and Miranda gave a guilty little blush.

"No ... nothing like that Mrs Roberts, but there is something..." she trailed off as she tried to find the best way to break the news to her.

"Oh?" Mrs Roberts' eyebrows rose up sharply.

"Yes ... you see ... I ... I've decided to resign my position here ... effective from the end of today!" There she had said it now! It was off her chest and out in the open – and somehow more real for all that.

Mrs Roberts' face had gone slightly red, and she looked like Miranda had just given her the biggest insult of her life.

"Are you okay Mrs Roberts?" Miranda asked anxiously as the older woman just sat there silently.

Mrs Roberts just gave a little sniff and her eyes went back to her computer screen, as though ready to resume her work.

For the rest of the day Miranda was treated to a cold reproachful silence from Mrs Roberts, and it was with a silent sigh of relief that Miranda logged off her computer for the last time, having finished the pile of work that had been on her desk.

She was aware of Mrs Roberts watching her as she slipped into her coat, and it was only once she had everything, and was all ready to leave that she turned to face that lady.

"Well ... I just wanted to say that it was a ... honour to work with you Mrs Roberts..." she had been going to say 'a pleasure', but decided that she just couldn't stretch the truth that far. "And I'm sure that Mar ... Mr Phillips will find a suitable replacement for me soon enough."

"I'm certain that he will too Miranda!" Mrs Roberts snapped back stiffly.

Miranda decided that the other woman was just not going to bend at all, and so she simply gave her an empty smile. "Then I'll say goodbye Mrs Roberts." she turned for the door not really expecting a response.

"What will you do now?" the question was such a surprise that Miranda turned back blankly for a moment.

"I've no idea!" she whispered, before turning and almost running from the room before her tears spilled.


Miranda was surprised to find Amanda waiting on her doorstep when she got home.

"Hello Miranda ... I was wondering if I could ... talk to you." Amanda greeted her a little uncertainly.

Miranda smiled brightly and tried to be reassuring – even though all she really wanted to do was to just curl up and cry her heart out. It didn't seem to matter what she did – or tried to do – fate just kept on smacking her in the face – or so it was beginning to feel like to her!

"Of course – why don't you come inside and I'll put the kettle on for the two of us."

Amanda sat at the kitchen table and watched Miranda as she moved around the room. She placed a steaming mug in front of her guest, and then sat down across from her.

"So what I can I do for you Amanda?" Miranda had been sitting waiting patiently for more than five minutes but it just seemed that Amanda didn't want to speak now that it came to it.

She looked up at Miranda awkwardly. "It's about ... Peter..." she began hesitantly.

"Oh?" Miranda kept her tone light and casual despite the fact that she instantly felt uncomfortable with the possible direction of this conversation ... she was remembering Peter's comments from the previous evening, and felt sure that there was a connection.

"We've been ... seeing each other for a little while now ... in the evenings and so on ... since he came back from Hong Kong – well before that even!"

"You seem very ... fond – of him?" Miranda enquired cautiously.

"I ... I love him!" Amanda blurted out heatedly and then blushed in embarrassment.

Miranda smiled reassuringly. "And do you think that Peter feels the same way about you?"

Amanda looked away unhappily. "I'm not sure ... I think perhaps ... maybe..." she looked across at her hopefully. "Maybe he's talked to you about me?"

Miranda shook her head regretfully. "I'm sorry, but no ... but then Peter is very private about his personal life ... and I'm not ... I don't really think that I'm the logical choice for him to talk to about such things..."

As she said it, she thought about her brother's circle of friends at the moment, Peter had been so busy these last few months, his circle pretty much comprised of; Miranda, Amanda or Marcus ... if his problem was Amanda –and he didn't feel comfortable talking to Miranda, then that just left Marcus ... who just happened to be Peter's boss – and Amanda's protective big brother!

"Poor Peter!" she murmured with a little smile.

"The thing is..." Amanda continued awkwardly, "I thought that it was time to take our relationship to the next level ... and so the other night ... I ... I tried to ... seduce him!"

Miranda picked up on the 'tried' immediately and Amanda looked so embarrassed that she couldn't help but surmise that Amanda's attempts had not met with success.

"I think that he does think a lot of you..." Miranda soothed. "I think that he worries you are still a bit young and ... well ... innocent maybe..."

They both fell silent for a while, but Miranda did want to help the younger woman – if she was able to.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.