A Good Man
Chapter 9: Routine

Copyright© 2011 by Marc Nobbs

I was at my locker on Tuesday morning when Lisa came up and kissed me on the cheek. I smiled at her and said, “What did I do to deserve that?”

She shrugged. “Do I need an excuse to give my boyfriend a good morning kiss?”

“Boyfriend?”

She ignored my question. “Actually, I wanted to thank you for what you did for Lauren. When she got in last night, she was ... Well, she wasn’t exactly walking on air, but she wasn’t crying, which is a hell of a lot better than when she went out.”

“All I did was get them in the same room. They worked it out themselves.”

“But I don’t think anyone else could have gotten them in the same room. So, thanks. On her behalf. And mine. I don’t think I could have coped with her being depressed for weeks. Or months.” She paused and looked down at the floor. When she looked up again, there was uncertainty in her eyes. “About the boyfriend thing, I ... I hope you don’t mind, it’s just that ... I mean, you know I’ve never had a boyfriend, right, and we are going out again next week and I know I said it was nothing serious or anything but—”

To her great credit, she recovered quickly from the surprise of my kissing her. Her hands went to the back of my head, and she kissed me back. It was a more passionate kiss than Friday night, but still...

When we broke apart, her breathing was a little heavy and her wide-eyed pupils dilated. “Wow. That was ... I ... That was better than Friday.”

“Yeah, well. I wasn’t kissing my girlfriend on Friday, was I?”

She launched herself at me and I staggered backwards a step from the force of it. Yep, definitely better than Friday.


Life settled into something a routine after that. I played the role of Lisa’s boyfriend as best I could. And I was playing a role.

Don’t get wrong, she was a nice girl and I enjoyed the time we spent together, but we both knew it wasn’t forever. At school, she was attentive without being clingy. I got a good morning kiss every day (as well as random little pecks throughout the day) and I walked her home every evening. Friday became our regular date night, and the dates were a lot of fun. We tried to vary them and not just go to the cinema every week because there were plenty of other things to do in Westmouth. We went bowling although neither of us was very good. We went skating, but we weren’t very good at that either. It was fun though.

And after every date we went to The Rec. If it wasn’t raining, we went for a walk around the lake. If it was, we stayed in the car. Over those few weeks, she went from stopping my hand when it got near her boob to pulling my hand under her sweater. Her self-confidence grew and it showed.

“You and Lisa seem to be getting along really well,” Clarissa said one day as we walked back to our lockers after Maths.

“Yeah.”

“Well, don’t sound too enthusiastic about it, will you?”

“Sorry. I ... She’s a lovely girl and I like spending time with her and all, but...” I shrugged.

“No fireworks?”

I nodded. “Exactly.”

We met a crowd of Year Sevens hanging around the corridors between lessons. To say it was loud was an understatement.

“Were we ever this small and noisy,” I asked as we forced our way through the throng.

“I think we probably were,” she replied with a smile.

“Look at those two.” I pointed to a couple of the twelve-year-olds in a corner. He had her pushed up against the wall and was trying his best to suck her tongue out of her mouth. “I don’t think I’d have had the guts to do that at their age. I don’t think I was even thinking about that at their age.”

Clarissa shrugged. “They start early these days.”

“These days? Listen to us. We’re like a pair of old women.”

“Speak for yourself.”

When we got past the mass of younger kids, we climbed the stairs towards the common room.

“So, are you taking Lisa to the Halloween Ball?”

“I assume so. She is my girlfriend.”

“I can’t believe how much she’s changed since you two have been together. You’ve been good for her.”

“Yeah. But we can’t go on forever and I’m worried about ending it. I don’t want to break her heart.”

“Don’t you have to be in love to get your heart broken?”

“You do indeed.”

“And is she in love?”

“To tell the truth, I don’t know.” I shook my head. “I really don’t know.”


Friday’s date was a trip to the theatre. There was a popular stand-up comedian at The Winter Gardens in Westmouth and Vicky had been generous enough to spring for tickets for us. It was a great show, and I couldn’t remember laughing quite so much in a long time. At least three years. Lisa laughed just as much, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that she was watching me as much as she was watching the show.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.