Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 92

I laid down and fell asleep on the couch, but I bet I hadn't been sleeping for a half hour when my personal cell started ringing. I wasn't going to answer it, but something told me I should. I got it out of my vest and looked to see who was calling. It was Floyd from Florida, so I answered.

"Harry, man I am glad I was able to get a hold of you. I think we have a problem on this end. Have you been out of Nevada in the last few days?"

"Not hardly. I have been too busy here to leave to go anywhere, why?"

"Your man that I was checking is dead. The Police found him this morning, hanging from his banister off of the second floor landing. Are you sure you haven't made a speed trip down here?"

"Dammit Floyd, if I had, I would have stopped at your office first thing. Now why are you so worried about some scumbag?"

"Because they found Mark's badge and ID in his hand. It's been all over the news here. When I heard it this morning, I thought maybe you had made a quick run down here without telling me. Harry, this is serious and they will probably pull you in for questioning. If you need me, just yell and I will send my friend to represent you."

"Floyd, if they pull me in, then they will have the President on their asses for doing it. I was on Nellis Air Force Base all day yesterday. They can easily check, so don't you worry about me. You might put a few feelers out to see if he had any enemies that wanted him dead, besides me."

"Very funny, Harry, but I'll try your suggestion. From what I have been able to find out, he wasn't a very well liked man. The police found half of his bodyguards drugged and unconscious when they responded to an anonymous call, telling them he was dead. Harry, this one has me stumped. Since you weren't here, I have no idea who it was. I did find out that his ex-wife was killed the same way in Russia about a month ago. Harry, they still don't know who did it or why. I gotta go, but you watch your back and I will keep in touch."

"Thanks for the heads up, Floyd. Let me know if you find out anything else, ok?"

"Ok Harry, I'll keep checking and let you know what happens."

He hung up and left me sitting on the couch trying to figure out what was going on. Someone had saved me the trouble of going down to Florida, but what I couldn't figure out was why. A man like him, the way he used people, would have enemies. But, they would have killed his bodyguards too, not just him. From the information Floyd had given me, this had to have been done by a professional who had some kind of a grudge or a contract.

I got up and put on my vest, deciding I would drive to town and have a little talk with Sean to see what he thought. I knew he still had connections with the FBI and they might have something useful for me. I let the radio man know where I was going as I went down the drive. I was told that Preacher wanted to talk to me as soon as possible if I checked in. I told the radio man to tell him that I was off duty for a few days and not to bother me unless it was a national emergency. He chuckled and said he doubted that Preacher would accept that one. I then told him I was taking a week off and it was time for Preacher to step up and do something on his own. He just laughed and said he was glad he wasn't me after that line of crap. I signed off thinking that Preacher was going to make everyone's life miserable for the next couple of days.

When I got into town, I stopped at the restaurant to see if Tran and the girls were there. I spotted the Jeep sitting out front so I went in. That was a mistake on my part. Every woman I had met in town was there along with their kids. It sounded like I stepped into a ball game and our team was winning. The noise level was loud enough to break my ear drums. I stood in the door wondering if this had been a good idea when Sandra spotted me and came running over. She jumped into my arms, bringing liquid fire to my chest from my ribs. I almost dropped her before I could grit my teeth and hold on.

"What's wrong Grandpa, are you ok?"

"I have a couple of cracked rib's sweetie and I am very sore."

"Oh Grandpa, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"It's ok Sandra, you didn't know. What is all this about?"

"It started out as a meeting with Tran, but everyone's mad because she won't let the adults enter into the vacation giveaways. This has been going on for the last hour. I tried to make her give in, but she says it's her right to say who can win the vacations."

"Ok sweetie, I think its time I stepped into this and straightened it out."

"Oh I hope so, Grandpa. Tran is really upset because of all these women calling her names and stuff."

I looked at her and started to get angry. What the hell kind of people were these? They get something for free and then get greedy and want to control it. They were acting like a bunch of animals or something, from what Sandra had told me. I patted her on the head and went to the front of the restaurant where I saw Tran being verbally accosted by several women. I pushed through, almost knocking a couple of the more rotund ones over as I went by. I stepped up beside my wife and the whole place got quiet when they saw me.

"All of you listen to me! I really don't give a damn whether you like the way this is being handled or not. This isn't for any of you, it's for the orphanage. The reason why the kids were chosen to enter was because we thought they would enjoy winning a special gift for you parents. Now, if it were up to me, I would tell all of you to go to hell and withdraw the offer, but my wife believes in what she is doing. I am trying very hard to keep my temper because of all the kids in here, but if you all don't cut this crap out I will throw every one of you out and cancel the concert. This whole thing is for the kids, not the adults. I suggest all of you decide what it's going to be, here and now."

I stepped up next to Tran and kissed her on top of the head, then turned and faced all of the women who were looking at me like I had two heads. Sandra and the girls came up beside us along with most of the other kids in the room. Sandra being Sandra had to put her two cents worth in.

"My brother and I are the ones who suggested this whole concert thing. Like my Grandpa says, if you don't quit acting like kids, we will cancel the whole thing and have it in another county where you won't be welcome to come. I, for one, think the kids and the orphanage are more important than all of you old biddies arguing over a free vacation. This is for the kids, not you."

I saw several of the bigger loud mouths sneaking out the door and had to grin to myself. The silence went on for a few minutes then one by one the women started coming up to Tran and apologizing for acting so bad. I was surprised as Tran accepted their apologies in a gracious manner, smiling the whole time. When everyone had finally cleared out Tran, looked at me and broke down crying. I went to my knees in front of her and just held her as she cried.

"Oh Harry, I have known most of these women for years. How could they act like that over something so trivial when it's all for the kids? I am beginning to think I will stay home and keep out of this whole thing."

"If you do Aunt Tran, then Sandra and I will too. Sorry I didn't get here quicker. I was on a service call when Sandra called the shop."

I knew the voice immediately, but I didn't know why he was here. Sandra must have called him I was thinking, but until I got the whole story from those two, I would withhold my remarks.

"Jimmy, I don't know why Sandra called you, but if you keep taking time off work you're gonna lose your job."

"Sheriff, I can start my own business any time I want to. If my sisters call for me, I come. If Sandra hadn't thought it was important, she wouldn't have called."

I looked up at him standing there with Sandra and Dana in each huge arm, and Dina sitting on his shoulders hanging on by wrapping her hands around his head. I couldn't help it, I just busted out laughing. He had his work clothes on and both sleeves had been cut off the shirt. He looked like a giant with the arm muscles he was showing. Tran started sniggering and we all broke out in laughter. This was one of those moments that made you feel good, and having your loved ones share it, was the icing on the cake.

"Jimmy, take the girls and get some donuts from the store down the street. I need to talk to Tran for a few minutes."

Well the girls just loved that idea, and asked him if he would carry them there like he was now. He just smiled at them and said no problem. To my surprise, Tran asked for two of the blueberry muffins she liked so much as they went out the door. Dina bumped her head and they all got a laugh out of her telling Jimmy he was supposed to duck. When the door closed, Tran got me some coffee and herself some tea. We sat down at one of the small tables in the back.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.