Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 88

I went back into the cave, wondering what the idea about two sets of orders was. I had a hunch that Preacher and I were being used to weed out some of the bad apples in the Armed Forces. If I found out this was true, the crap was going to hit the fan big time. I didn't like being used any more than the next person. I stood there and waited until Preacher set the shifts up with Zeke and his people with the Troopers, then followed him into the office he had found. When I got my first look at the safe, I wondered how many men and trucks it had taken to haul it up here. I sat down and told Preacher what was on my mind about the Director's little speech and his actions. We sat and talked about it until we heard the familiar sound of the big Chinooks coming in for a landing.

The next two hours were spent loading up some of the stuff that Preacher wanted to get out right away. We told the pilots to come back again for another load. They took off heading for Nellis with the first of five loads we would send out tonight. While we were waiting for them to come back, I called Tran and told her I didn't think I would be home tonight, so not to wait up on me. She said she already figured that out since it was after dark. I had been so busy I hadn't even noticed. We talked for a few more minutes before I hung up, hearing the choppers coming back. We had a large circle of lights set up so they wouldn't have any trouble landing and they started to load as soon as they touched down. By the time it was daylight, we had everything out of the cave that resembled a weapon as well as some of the heavier guns. We had sent out ten loads of arms with the Chinooks being loaded with all the weight the pilots would let us put in them and in the nets underneath. There were a few cannons and howitzers left when dawn came. Plus the tanks, of course.

I knew the MPs would be in for a big surprise coming all this way to escort some old tanks and guns to Nellis, but oh well. I finally had to admit my butt was dragging when Zeke showed up with several women who immediately started handing out sandwiches and coffee to everyone. I thanked him and his people for being such a big help to us and told him about the reward they would be getting for finding the stolen arms. That got a round of cheers from them. They said they had sent food to the men on the gates too, and had fed the patrols we had running all night. We just sat back and dozed, waiting for the trucks to arrive. Both caves were almost empty except for the cars and a few things I didn't think anyone would want to steal. We had boxed all the paperwork up and sent it to the plant, but kept anything we found that had to do with the cars and trucks that had been stolen.

"Harry, I am going to talk to a couple of those insurance men and see if I can't buy a couple of those cars. Since they already settled the claims, maybe they might sell them for what they settled for. I really like that HemiCuda and the blue Firebird. Stumpy wants to do the same and several men from the other teams asked me to find out about certain ones. Man, I would hate to lose out on them if we can buy them. When do you think the trucks and the Major will get here?"

"I would guess shortly after dawn if they left right away. I called the base Commander and told him to keep the news that we already shipped all the guns out to himself until the Director put in an appearance. I don't think we will have a problem with him."

"Not after he got the word he would be stationed in Greenland. I've been there and it's cold all year up there. Harry, your not gonna believe how many vehicles Zeke and his people will have when this is over. I sure hope they get a good reward because they have sure been good to us since we came here. I am really glad we didn't have to come in by force to get all this stuff. With all the guns and ammo they had here, it would have lasted quite a while if they wanted to hold out and fight. You know a lot of the team members have come to like these people and their simple ways. Not to mention that there are a lot of good looking single women here. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them came back to do a little visiting on their down time."

"I don't see a problem with that at all. I think these people have earned our respect with their actions in the last twenty four hours, Preacher. By the way, did you get any word on what they decided to keep besides the vehicles?"

"Harry, I have a list of stuff fifty pages long that they are keeping. Some of the medicine is out dated so I made sure they destroyed it. They won't have to worry about food or blankets for many years because there were ten pallets of surplus wool blankets. They have over seventy pallets of food from their cave and at least another hundred that were here. There were all kinds of summer and winter clothes, plus at least a thousand pairs of combat boots in all different sizes. Harry, if they had a yard sale and just sold part of it, the collectors would go crazy over all the stuff they have. I think everyone of my men bought at least two pairs of the old jungle boots like we used to wear. They had them in every color the armed forces ever issued. I also gave them two pallets of the paratrooper M1s we found. They were semi-auto and legal for them to own. They could shoot everyday for years and never burn up all the ammo they have for them. We recorded the serial numbers and gave them a bill of sale."

"That was a good idea, Preacher. They would probably have been destroyed otherwise. They can use them to hunt with since from what I understand, that caliber is legal here. I can tell you something else, we need to watch this Major that's coming in today. I get the distinct impression from the Director that he is under some kind of suspicion. I want two teams here at the cave when they arrive, just in case. Preacher, this whole thing stinks to high heaven. I am getting the feeling we are being used to try out someone's theory or something."

"Harry, if you had said that three months ago, I would never have believed it. I agree that there's something fishy about all of this because for Hubba to get what he had in this cave, he had to have someone high up in rank to help him. Maybe when we go through the paper work it might tell us something. I had Stumpy start on it immediately when it arrived. I also haven't told anyone it's at the plant, because I wanted to make sure we had first dibbs on it this time. Also, if there is someone high up involved, the teams are the ones to handle this. Harry, we recovered almost all of the weapons, but I think there is something else we don't know about. This thing has more twists than a snake's back."

"Oh I agree with you there, Preacher. The only thing that worries me is who is running the whole thing and how he or she is always able to stay one jump ahead of us. JJ comes to mind, Preacher, because I think he was tipped that all this stuff was here and came to try to claim it. He just got into the wrong cave and didn't know about this one. Whoever told him about it had to know it was in this camp, just not exactly where it was located. When they came in here, Zeke and his people didn't tell them either. I have a hunch, but I need to set a little trap to make sure. I want you and all the teams to stay out of it because it won't be good for any of your careers, if my hunch is right."

"Dammit Stinger, why is it you always have these hunches? I've known you for over twenty years and you always seem to be able to work it all out. If I was able to do that I would be an Admiral by now. All of our old team owes you their lives ten times over just because of your hunches. Can you tell me who you think it is, Stinger?"

"No because it would completely ruin a lot of careers if you or any of the others got involved. I'm a civilian and they can't harm me with any repercussions. Tran and I have enough money that they wouldn't dare try to do us any harm. Besides, I can do what I plan and cover my tracks because I am no longer in the service. You or any of the others would be tracked within twenty four hours. You have to admit, Preacher, the teams are a close knit society. I have contacts all over this country that I have favors owed from. No my friend, this one is too big for you to get in the middle of. I am going back to my cabin and make some calls. When that Major shows up, you handle it and dismiss the Troopers I brought. For now, Preacher, you're running the show. I'll call you by tonight and give you any information I have."

"Do you want me to brief Zeke and his people?"

"No, just let it go on like normal. Have your radioman call in a Whisper for me. I will leave my Jeep here for now."

"You got it, Stinger."

I was going to go home to change and get a shower and then call the Director. He was coming to Nellis and I wanted to be there to meet him when he stepped off the plane. I left the Jeep sitting in the cave by the old cars, securely locked with the extras Jimmy had installed set. When I climbed into the Whisper, it was the same two pilots who had taken me to the hospital to visit Barry. I told them to refuel and await my call to fly to Nellis. They were happy about that because they said it was boring just sitting around making little hops. I had them drop me in the meadow again and walked to the cabin. I was greeted by the girls almost as soon as I came in sight. I got plenty of hugs and kisses but was told, once again, that I needed a shower. After they were done with their greeting and insult party, they went back inside to play and I sat down on the porch to call the Director. Tran brought me a cup of coffee, telling me I looked exhausted and that I needed a shower. Another part of the world heard from. I told her I needed to make a call then I would shower, but I also had to fly to Nellis almost immediately.

"Try to catch a few winks on the way, my love. You do look exhausted and you should lay down for a couple of hours."

I just nodded dialing the phone as I sipped my coffee. When I got him on the line, the first thing out of his mouth was a question about the trucks arriving. I told him I had seen them coming in as I flew to my cabin to shower and get a change of clothes. He wanted to know if we had finished the inventory of the caves, and if we had a list of how much stuff there was. I told him that Preacher was almost done with it and would have it faxed to him when he was. I then asked him when he was arriving at Nellis and was told about three this afternoon. I was also told General Brown was with him as well as the Secretary of Defense. I told him I was flying in to talk to him in private, and would meet him when he arrived. He asked why I couldn't talk on the phone since it was scrambled and I told him it was a face to face type of thing. He said he would see me when he landed and hung up the phone.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.