Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 84

I finished getting the batter ready and pulled the big skillet out of the cupboard. I put in the oil and spices I liked to use and turned the fire on and let it slowly heat the oil while I dug out some of the thick fries I knew the girls liked. I plugged in the deep fryer to heat as I finished up with a couple of small things for cooking. Tran and George came in with the fillets. I checked to make sure there were no bones in them as I dipped them into the batter. I waited a few minutes while Tran and George got washed, then dropped a few drops of water into the oil to make sure it was hot enough.

George went out saying he was going to bury the remaining fish parts in the woods as Tran started making the fries. I coated several fillets and put them into the hot grease to cook. When the smell hit me I was almost drooling as I watched them turn a golden brown.

"Harry, I love you!"

"I love you too Tran, so tell me what brought that on all of a sudden?"

"I think you're the only man I have ever met who can feel empathy for the ones who are hurting. You act so hard, but inside you are the most caring man I have ever met. I know you love your granddaughter, but I think you love Dina and Dana almost as much. I get a strong feeling that your feelings are tuned into to what they feel, somehow. I know having all of us thrust into your life hasn't been easy, but it seems to me that you just seem to grow more in love with us as the days go by. I spent over twenty years wondering if I would ever be happy again, and now I have my happiness and the love of a good man. I feel contented with all of you like I never thought I would be."

"I know exactly what you mean, hon. I went from being a contented bachelor and loving it to being a family man and loving it more than I ever thought I would. When Sandra found me, it was a helluv an adjustment for me. Then Dina and Dana came to me, and it all just seemed right for some reason. I would never in a million years have believed I would get married again, but I did and I ended up with a beautiful woman who I love more than life. I have one of the most precious things that any man dreams about, a perfect wife and three kids who love me without reservations."

When George came back in, I told him to tell the girls to come down and set the table. He went upstairs to pass the word and came down almost as quick as he went up.

"What's wrong George?"

"Umm, they said to tell you they would be down in a minute. They are all in Sandra's room having some kind of meeting. At least that's what it looked and sounded like. Harry, I want to thank you and Tran for having me as your guest. I had more fun and laughs today than I have had in years. I don't know how you manage to fit it all in with everything that's going on right now. I just wanted to tell you that Doris and I are moving in together as soon as we come back from North Carolina. She wants to try having a relationship with me again. I got to tell you, it scares the hell out of me! I haven't been close to anyone since my family was killed, and now all of a sudden it seems that I am starting all over again. I guess I just don't know how to start living again. I will say Sandra has helped me more than all the shrinks I saw in the service. That girl is so smart and mature I sometimes can't believe she is just ten years old. But anyway, I still have to practice a few more times with her help, and then Doris and I will be going back to sell the house and go through stuff and see if I want to keep anything. Thanks Harry, for the friendship, and thanks Tran, for letting me bend your ear for the last week or so."

We didn't get a chance to respond because the girls swarmed into the kitchen and had the table set in record time. They all sat down and just waited until I set the food on the table before they said anything. I watched as they all tasted the fish and then it was a fight between them to see how much they could eat. I finally told them to slow down and take time to check for any missed bones and to taste their food. They did for about five minutes and before I knew it the fish and fries were all gone and they were all staring at me as I ate the last bite on my plate.

"Ok you three, what's going on now?"

Dina was or seemed to be the one chosen to express their demands and she didn't waste any words but came right out with it.

"Uncle Harry, we decided its time you start spending more time with us before you get too old to enjoy your time with us."

"Ok you three, I am not that old and my extra job is almost over, so I think you better explain what you're talking about. Tran quit giggling, this seems to be serious. Now girls what is it you want before I get too old to be able to do it?"

"We want to go fishing some more, and do a little camping and traveling before school starts. We also want to visit Sandra's friends in Columbus, and to meet some of your family. We also want to play for some of the soldiers, like you said we could if we learned how to play. Sandra says we are pretty good so I, or we think we should have the chance to do some things like that before you get too old to want to do it with us. So what do you think about it Uncle Harry?"

"Let's get something straight right now! Tran if you don't stop giggling you can go sit in the front room. This is serious business we are discussing here, and not a giggling matter. Girls, we can do some of the things you want to do. As for my being too old, that will never happen. If I get that old, one of you can push me in a wheel chair, so I don't miss any of the things you want to do. Now, if you three are done trying to make me feel old and feeble, I think maybe you can clean the table and go watch a movie before bed time or something."

They all looked at each other and jumped up with big smiles on their faces and cleaned up. When they were through, they all went running upstairs to watch a movie or plot against me. After they cleared the room, Tran totally lost it. I was trying to give her a dirty look without smiling, but George just shook his head and went out the front door with a cup of coffee.

"Ok lady, what's so damned funny?"

"Oh Harry, you are too gullible. They just did it to you again. They just wrapped you around their fingers like they always do, and you just sat there and fell for it. Too old to do the things they want to do, now that was a new approach even for them. I bet you a dollar Sandra thought it all up because she knows you better than you do. George is right you know, she is too smart to be just ten years old. I just love watching them work you around to their way of thinking. I for one can't wait until they become teenagers and go out on their first dates. It will be so funny watching you walk the floor until they come home, or you shoot one of their boyfriends because you don't like him, or you go crazy trying to figure out why they like him. I think the next ten or so years are going to be very entertaining for me."

"That's not funny Tran, and you rushing it doesn't help. Now I will have nightmares, thinking about them when they are teenagers and dating. Next time, just keep your opinions to yourself will you?"

I got a kiss and more chuckles from Tran as she poured me another cup of coffee. She sat back down and sipped her tea and watched me. Now I was feeling self conscious because I just knew the other shoe was going to drop. I finally started thinking about my meeting this morning to take my mind off of her staring at me.

I tried to go back over everything that had been said to me. If there was a downside to it, it could only be if they changed their minds about handing over the weapons and stuff. For some unexplainable reason, I didn't think this was going to happen. Then I started thinking about what Zeke had said about JJ taking over all the camps, and wondered how many he had actually controlled. From all the information I had been able to gather, there were only four in this state. Then I wondered why he would even want control of them. I still thought he was after all the weapons in the camp that Zeke led. If he had been able to get them, he would have considerable power and could have caused a lot of trouble for the state. This was getting me nowhere because his hold had been broken with his death. I wondered how long it would be before his own camp dissolved without him to lead it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.