Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 82

It was hard as hell to just sit and wait for all the Intel to come in. The Seal team was back and Preacher was debriefing them, but I was waiting for the teams that were at the battle site to get done and come in. This was the apple we all were waiting for. I got on the cell and checked with the Director, telling him I wanted a recovery team at the battle site tomorrow first thing. He said they had the proper facilities at Nellis and had a team specially trained for this type of thing. I brought him up to date and told him we had filmed it all, and that he would have copies ready when he wanted them. Almost the next question out of his mouth was the one that I was waiting for. I told him I had two teams at the site taking pictures and getting fingerprints, and I was pretty sure we had put JJ out of business permanently. I also told him we were taking DNA samples from all the victims to see if they could be identified by that method. I got a "good job and thanks" for all I had done so far. I just shrugged it off and hung up the phone.

I hadn't been off the line for more than three minutes when it rang again. This time it was General Brown telling me that as of fifteen minutes ago, Lieutenant Masters was now a Captain. Also, he was faxing the promotion to me to have Preacher give him the ceremonial promotion speech. I thanked him and just grinned when he said the Major's spot was still open if I wanted it. I told him to go to hell in a laughing manner. He just laughed and said he had framed the signed hundred dollar bill he had won from the President. He informed me he also owed me a big steak dinner. We chatted for a few more minutes before he had to go, thanking me again for taking care of JJ and his men.

I sat and thought about all the men who had died today because they had followed JJ's lead. I didn't feel proud, just sick inside at the loss of all the lives I had ordered today. Damn, but I wish there had been another way. No matter how I looked at it, I just didn't see another way I could have accomplished it. I was sitting at the table wondering why I felt so drained when it hit me that I hadn't eaten since yesterday morning. I had been living on coffee the whole time. I stood up and headed out to ask someone where the chow hall was, when I almost knocked Masters over as he was coming in the door to get me.

"Harry, the other two teams are landing. Preacher sent me to get you for the debriefing."

"Thanks Lieutenant, I appreciate it and if you would, can you find me a nice thick sandwich of some kind? I haven't eaten anything since yesterday."

"I sure will Harry. I will bring it to you in the briefing room along with a soda to wash it down."

He went out the door and I headed for the briefing room, stopping by the operations section to grab the faxes out of the machine. One was the promotion and the other was a well done to the men from the President. I would pass them to Preacher at the debriefing and let him handle them as he saw fit. I didn't figure the two teams coming in would be in much of a mood to celebrate after the job they had just finished. But then again, I remembered when we used to look for good news to wipe out what we had seen in the bush. I watched as the two teams went in the briefing room. I followed them in and stood to the side, observing them as they got seated. They all looked like they were beat and needed a hot shower and some food that wasn't out of a box. Preacher stepped up to the podium and I sat down to listen.

"I am not going to drag this out because I know all of you want to shower and find some hot food. I have ordered the cook to fix steaks and all the trimmings for you."

This got a big cheer and smiles from all of them.

"Men, you did a good job out there. Stumpy, that prisoner you got for us was a treasure. After Harry scared the shit out of him, he sang like a songbird. I videoed everything and it is available to any of you that want to watch and listen. Rather than have you write your reports, I have a camera set up that will record all that both field commanders have to say. When you both have finished with your reports, the rest of your teams can speak if they want. I want any observations positive or negative that any of you want to tell us about. Stumpy, you start then Anderson will follow. I want a complete mission report from the time you were dropped till you returned here."

I sat and listened as Stumpy gave a precise report from the time his team was dropped right up to the point when they came here to be debriefed. Only one of his men had anything to say and it was a derogatory remark about the men they had found acting as rear guard. He got a brief laugh from everyone present and a dirty look from Stumpy. From Stumpy's report, his team had acted as scouts, looking for bodies at the battle site. Anderson and his team did all the picture taking and fingerprints.

"We positively identified JJ from the photograph we had with us. From what we could tell, he jumped out of one of the choppers trying to save his life. But, he was impaled on a chunk of an old pine tree that was sticking up where he landed. If it hadn't been for that, he might have survived the fall and been able to get away. We took his picture from all angles and then we took his fingerprints just to make sure. Most of the men died in the crashes and there weren't many remains to be seen. All the choppers must have been carrying extra fuel bladders because of the heat from the fires and the way the wreckage was scattered. I am afraid we don't have much to show in the way of bodies or prints, Preacher. The small chopper was the only one that didn't explode. It was so full of holes, that I was surprised that the pilot was still alive when we got there. He told us he had been hired because of the radar equipment he had onboard. He was the only one in the bird and he died before we could get him out."

Masters came in and handed me a big sandwich and a soda and then sat down by my side. I hated eating in front of these men, but I was starving and still had things to do. I stood and handed Preacher the two faxes and sat back down, sipping my soda as he read them. He started smiling when he got done.

"I want to thank all of you for your detailed and precise reports but on top of all of the bad things you have seen today, I do have some good news that concerns all of you. The two faxes Harry just handed me concerns you Green Beanies. It seems for some reason, and I don't know why, Lieutenant Masters has been promoted to Captain effective immediately. Since I am a Seal I don't think this is fair to me, because I don't need another double bar strutting around."

Everyone was cheering Masters. Preacher called him up to the podium and shook his hand, congratulating him on his promotion. He handed him the paper and the two teams gathered around him, slapping him on the back and giving him hell. I just sat back and smiled at their antics, it brought back a lot of good memories for me. I looked over at Preacher, and he nodded his head at me with a big smile on his face. Other than the sergeant I had spoken to, he was the only one that knew I was behind the promotion. I got up and slipped out the door, heading for the chopper pad to catch my ride to Reno to see Agent Thomas. I used the ear bud to tell the radio operator I was coming. When I got to the pad, one of the Whispers was winding up so I climbed in. I got strapped in and put the helmet on so I could speak to the pilot. He spoke first and to my surprise, it was a question I could answer.

"Harry, did we get JJ today? If we did, is it ok if I tell the other pilots? None of us has heard if the mission was a success or not."

"I have to tell you it was a complete success. JJ won't be killing anyone else where he went. You can tell the other pilots and give them a big well done from me and the President. The mission was a complete success and we didn't lose a man. Also, you can tell them Masters has been promoted to Captain, effective immediately."

He had a big smile on his face as he informed the other pilots of my news. I heard several cheers then he came back to me to thank me for the news. He asked where we were bound for and I told him to set down in the Federal space at the Reno airport. I told them they would have at least two hours before we returned so they could get something to eat. This got a big "thanks" from both pilots. I had them radio ahead and make arrangements for a car for me. When we landed and I climbed out, I was met by the same man as before and handed a set of keys. He pointed to a white Crown Vic and went back inside without saying a word. I got in the car and headed for the hospital. I parked in a reserved spot again and went inside and up to the same floor as last time. Once again, I was met by a guard who checked my ID before I was allowed to go any further.

I asked him if Agent Thomas was still in the same room. I was told he was and doing well, so I walked down the hall to his room. I looked in before I entered and saw that he was sitting up in bed. All the bandages were gone from his head and there was only one IV that I could see. He was black and blue but seemed to be wide awake and reading a book. I stepped in and when he saw me, his whole face lit up in a big smile.

"Hey Harry, I see you made it back. As you can see, I am doing a lot better than the last time you saw me. They're supposed to take the upper part of the cast off tomorrow. The lower half will be gone in about a week. Man, it's good to see you. I have been talking to the guard a lot, but he never stays long."

I walked over and grabbed the chair in the corner and sat down next to his bed.

"Well, you sure do look a lot better. I flew in just to check on your progress. From the looks and the sound of your voice, you are healing nicely. Have any of your people been in to visit?"

"Not for a couple of days. Thanks from all of us, Harry. I heard how you went to bat for us and got our names and reputations cleared. You don't know how much we all appreciate it. I know I am sure glad I got to meet you in the gulch that day. I'm also very glad you were put in charge of the investigation at the lumber camp. If it wasn't for you, we would have been branded as a bunch of idiots. Some of the other guys I see in physical therapy told me to pass the word to you that they appreciated all you did for us. You're probably the only one who had the balls to speak for us and clear our names. Man, you should have seen all the reporters that tried to get interviews after you sent those tapes out. It was on all the news stations, and now there is a congressional investigation over the whole thing. Every man on this floor was presented with a Medal of Valor by the Director yesterday. Harry, were any bodies recovered at the site? I tried to find out but they have clamped a lid on it all."

"Barry, I don't think there were. The fires burned so hot I think all of the bodies were cremated on the spot. You were one of the lucky ones, if you want to call it luck. I have been so busy the last couple of days I haven't had time to get updated on it yet. Hell, I haven't seen my family for two days."

I went on and told him everything that happened in the last two days. He was absorbing the news I was giving him like a sponge. He had a smile on his face as I told him all about what had happened, and that we were going to go after the camp that had caused the explosion. We sat and talked for about two hours, but I could see he was getting sleepy. I told him I had to go and would stop back in a couple of days. He thanked me for coming and asked if I would bring him a big chocolate milkshake when I came back. He said I would have to sneak it past Attila at the desk. I laughed and said she didn't want the trouble I could bring her if she tried to stop me. He laughed and was nodding off as I stood up to go. He smiled tiredly and thanked me again for coming.

He was asleep by the time I got to the door to leave. When I walked past the nurse's desk, the woman there gave me a dirty look as I passed. It pissed me off so I walked over to the desk.

"Lady, what is your problem? If you ever look at me like that again I will have you moved to the geriatric floor until you retire."

She was still sputtering and trying to speak as I got on the elevator. The door closed and I was still chuckling to myself when my cell started that damned irritating chirping. When I answered it, Preacher was on the other end.

"Harry, you left your personal cell on the desk and like a damned fool I answered it when it started ringing. Your wife wants you to call her, and if you don't, she said she would put knots on my head because I didn't tell you she called. Harry, that woman scares the hell out of me so would you please call her? Make sure you tell her I called you right away to give you the message."

I totally lost it, and he hung up cussing me because I thought it was funny. I was still chuckling to myself as I dialed her cell. She answered on the second ring, wanting to know if she was going to see me tonight or not. She also informed me the girls were worried about me because I hadn't called. I asked her where she was and was informed they had just gotten home. I told her I was at the hospital in Reno, and would have the chopper land in the meadow and let me off. I said I would be home in about an hour and to put some coffee on. I was told that George had already started a pot because he said that since she called, he figured I would come running. I hung up, telling her I loved her, and chuckling at her description of George, and his figuring I would be home shortly.

As I drove toward the airport, I had to admit it would be great to go home instead of that stinking chemical plant. When I got close to the airport, I called in on the unit's radio and informed the voice that answered me that I would be there shortly and to pass the word to my pilots. He said they were sitting in front of him and would be ready to go when I got there. I signed off and finished the drive, wondering how they would take to me having them set down in the meadow and letting me off there. Well, I thought, since I was their boss, they probably wouldn't voice too many objections to the unorthodox landing site.

When I pulled into the parking spot where I had found the car, the rotors were already turning on the Whisper. I handed the keys back to the man who waved in an off handed way and went back inside. As I boarded the chopper, I thought maybe he had gotten used to agents dropping in and borrowing the cars. When we lifted off, I told the pilot where I wanted to land and he asked if it was ok with the owner. I laughed and told him I owned the whole mountain, between me and my wife. He just turned and grinned, saying then he had permission to land. I was laughing at him as we flew over the metropolis of Reno on the way home.

It seemed like it took us forever to get there, but I knew it was just that I was anxious to see my family. Two days without their company was way too long, and I promised myself it wouldn't happen again if I could help it. When we were getting close, I told the pilot I wanted to be picked up at nine the next morning and we would have two stops to make. He said he would be fueled and sitting in the same meadow waiting on me. I just smiled as I jumped out on the ground and he lifted off, heading back to the chemical plant. I just knew I was going to be sent to the shower because although I had washed up last night, I knew I stunk of sweat and chemicals.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.