Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 76

We finally got ourselves settled enough to go in and eat. When we finally sat down, we were still smiling at each other and Carly was giving Sean dirty looks. I looked over at George and he had his head down with a smile on his face. Me, I just ate, grinning the whole time. To my amazement, Tran seemed to be blissfully unaware of what was going on around her.

The girls all seemed to be kidding back and forth, but I noticed Sandra as usual was picking up on something, because she kept glancing at me throughout the meal. After I ate, I decided to go up and go through the papers from Mark. If I remembered correctly, the title to the car was in the folder of documents I had received from the court. When I got up from the table, I headed upstairs to see if I could find it.

I got the folder out of the dresser, sat down on bed, and started to go through it. It was then I remembered the letter Mark had left me. I got in the closet, dug it out and sat down on the bed to read it.

"Dear Harry,"

"Regardless of what you may think, I did not tell them where you were. When they called saying they had Terri, the only thing I told them was that you and Sandra had flown back East. When I got the call telling me she was dead, I decided I would find out what happened. I called all my contacts to get a lead on what happened. The information I discovered is at the bottom of this letter. Harry, I have several other things I need to tell you first. Dana is my sister's daughter, who I adopted when my sister and her husband were killed in Europe. I had no idea who sent her to me or how they found me, until I got a call from the airlines. They had a folder with all the information in it, along with a copy of their death certificates. I hadn't talked to her for years, and didn't know she was married or had a child. Dana's birth certificate and passport, along with her shot records are in the paperwork the judge gave you. Harry, I left everything to you because I knew how much you loved the girls. I have no doubt you will take good care of them. I hope you and Tran work things out, because she loves the girls too."

"Harry, I found out who got Terri hooked on smack. His name is Roman Sanders. He is some kind of millionaire who lives in Miami. Even after checking all my sources, all I can find out is that he emigrated here from Russia. Needless to say, somehow he talked her into staying at his mansion for a month. From what I can find out, he pimped her out at his parties. After he got tired of her, he sent her to one of his strip clubs. Hooking is how she supported her habit. From what I have been able to find out she is not the first. If you can do anything, consider it my last wish. I am going to the club to have a talk with her boss while I'm in Florida. I guess if you're reading this, things didn't go well for me. Harry, you have been my best friend for ten years. I love you like a brother and know that you will take care of my girls. Please tell them that their mother and I love them and always will. Thank you Harry, for being my friend and brother."

"Your friend, Mark"

I don't know how long I just sat there on the bed holding the letter in my hand. It must have been quite awhile, because Tran came in looking for me. She took one look at me, sat down next to me and just held me. I just handed her the letter, never saying a word. She sat and read it, then looked at me in shock.

"Harry, I am so sorry. I think you should make a trip to Miami when all of this is over. I have never been a vengeful person, but I think this needs your special touch. Between me and you, I think this man needs to be punished somehow. When you decide to go down there, I suggest you talk to Floyd and see what he can find out about this person."

"Thank you, my darling, and I am very glad that you think the way I do. When this is all over, I am going to handle this person personally. I'm going to have Floyd do a complete background check and dig up everything he can on this man. By the time I'm done, I will know everything about him from the time he was born. I'm going to do as Mark asked and destroy this letter. We will never speak of it again."

"I agree my love, this is something that should be kept just between two of us. Now, will you please get the title out to that dumb car and take George to see Doris before he drives us all nuts?"

I looked at her and we both busted out laughing. I got the title out of the folder and put it on the bed. I watched as Tran burned the letter, dropping it in the waste can and making sure it burned completely up. I grabbed the title and we both headed back downstairs to the kitchen. When we got near, I could hear George talking about Doris, and had to smile to myself, knowing the bug had bitten him bad. Tran was grinning almost as much as I was, I noticed, as we walked into the kitchen.

"George, Sean, come on we are going to town. I hope Doris is glad to see George, because if she isn't we are all going to be miserable as long as he is here."

We headed out the door with George saying he wasn't that bad, but Sean and I just laughed at him as we got into my Jeep. When we got to the bottom of my driveway, there was a sheriff's unit blocking it. To my surprise it was Beau, and before he moved his unit to let me out, he handed over my ID. I thanked him saying he was always welcome to come up to the cabin to visit, but his reply gave me a little shock.

"I started to Harry, but your bodyguards stopped me before I had gone ten feet up the drive. They said they were under orders you weren't to be bothered by anyone."

I got out my cell and called Preacher. I went off on him, saying if any law enforcement wanted to come up to my place his men were to call it in and let them by. I also told him that if it happened again, I would personally come down there and kick his ass up between his shoulder blades. He apologized but I didn't hear the end of it as I had hung up the phone already. I told Beau if he had any problems again to call me on my cell and I would handle it. He just laughed saying he had forgotten my number. He had to switch cell companies when he moved here. I gave it to him again and told him to come and visit anytime.

I called ahead to the judge explaining what I was going to do with the title. I asked him to call DMV and clear the way for me, so I wouldn't have so much hassle with all the forms I knew I would have to fill out. He must have, because it only took us fifteen minutes to do it all, including transferring Sean's driver's license to Nevada from Florida. When we pulled away and headed for the shop, I could see George grinning in the rear view mirror. I looked over at Sean and made a motion to him to look in the back and he did, shaking his head at the big smile on George's face.

When we pulled up at the shop, I thought George was going to climb over my lap he was in such a hurry to get out. He finally got out and was inside the shop before we could get the Jeep doors closed. We both just stood in front of the Jeep laughing at his antics. I decided this would be a good time to talk to Sean about taking a job with the sheriff's office. I asked him if he was interested, and what rank I thought I could get for him. He looked at me kind of funny for a minute before he said anything and he kind of laughed before he answered me.

"Harry, I already accepted the job as sheriff of Porter County this morning when the commissioners called me. I was looking for a way to tell you so it wouldn't bother you because of your friend Mark. Carly and I talked about it, and we decided if you would rent us the house I would accept the position. We are both tired of me being away from home all the time and not getting to spend any time with the kids because I travel so much. I hope I haven't hurt our friendship in any way by accepting the position, Harry."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.