Shamus Journals
Chapter 73

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

When we got to the main lodge and walked in I noticed that all of the team was at one table off to the side. I looked over at Tran but she just shrugged as we sat down at the table with the girls. Sean and Carly came in and I had a sneaking suspicion they were treating this as a second honeymoon or something because she had that same glow on her face than Tran had. I watched as Andy and Shorty and their wives came in shortly after Sean. Their wives, Nina and Trudy, had the same glow on their faces. I had to shake my head thinking I was seeing things or maybe putting more into it than what it really was. The girls all came in from the arcade and we had to push another table up so everyone could be seated.

"Grandpa, can we please stay here about another week? I haven't had this much fun in a long time."

"Sorry baby, but we have held up the remodeling on the resort long enough. They have a lot of work to do and besides, I have to finish the job at home. We can all come back again and stay a little longer next time. After all, Tran owns this place and that makes her the boss, so I don't think we would have any problems getting cabins."

I watched as mine and Sean's girls got a disappointed look on their faces, and I immediately felt bad for them. Carly was just smiling at me, and I had a feeling she knew exactly what I was thinking as I was sure my love for the girls showed in my face. We ordered and I sat back, lighting a cigarette and getting dirty looks from Sean's girls as I did. I looked over at Sandra and she immediately shook her head in a negative fashion so I put it out without taking another puff. This seemed to appease them as they immediately started talking about the arcade games. I looked over at Sean and he mouthed later at my look. I sat there sipping coffee as the women talked about how good a time they were having, and that they hoped to come back soon.

I was sitting and listening to the conversation around the table when I heard someone at my side clearing their throat. I looked up and saw that Preacher was standing by my side.

"Harry, I think you better turn your cell on as the Director has been trying to reach you all morning. I told him you were still in your cabin and he told me to tell you the crap has hit the fan and he needed to talk to you ASAP."

I didn't even answer him but got up and went to the cabin to get the scrambled cell and my personal one. I turned them both on as I headed back to the main lodge and my breakfast. When I sat down, I held up the scrambled cell so Preacher could see I had it and started to eat. I had just taken my third bite when that irritating chirping started. I answered and the Director asked me if I was able to talk. I told him I was in the middle of breakfast so he told me to call back as soon as I finished because it was important. I told him ok and hung up to finish eating. When I was done, I excused myself and headed outside with a large go cup and my cigarettes. I sat down on the bench by the front door in the shade and called him back. As soon as he knew it was me he started talking.

"Harry, the ATF really screwed the pooch on this one."

Hell, I had forgotten all about the raid on the lumber camp.

"They went in and the ATF Director decided he would lead the special teams himself. Harry, they used WP grenades instead of flash bangs to hit the cabins. I don't know the whole story yet, but from the reports I am getting they about blew that part of the county off the map. They are still fighting the fires including the forest fire that got started with the explosions."

"What the hell did they blow up, Director? I never heard Avery mention any kind of hazardous material out there."

"It seems when the old company went bankrupt and sold out, they left several thousands of gallons of used motor oil and other chemicals in underground storage tanks. I talked to Avery about it and he checked the records, but the tanks were not listed as being there. Anyway, when they used the WP it burned through the floors and ignited the tanks like a string of firecrackers. Harry, we have twenty-two ATF agents in the hospital and an unknown count of men missing. The people in the cabins didn't survive because the tanks were buried under the area where the buildings were. We don't even know how many ATF agents went on the raid as there was no list of who was called in to help. I have a chopper on the way for you and Sean. I want you both on site as soon as possible to handle any problems. I will leave the team there at the casino to make sure your families get home safe later today. I suggest you tell Sean what's going on and get ready to leave."

I hung up the phone with a sick feeling in my gut, thinking about the inferno that must have engulfed the old lumber camp. I wondered how many agents were killed that they would never find? God this was a FUBAR, big time. Why the hell had they used WP instead of flash bangs to gain entry? I went back inside and passed the word to Sean and watched as he absorbed what I told him. The rest of the table had shocked looks on their faces by the time I was done. I heard the chopper land out in the parking lot so I grabbed a restroom break and another big coffee before heading out. I hugged the girls and kissed Tran as I went out the door. I knew they would be safe because there was nobody left to threaten any of them. I also knew the seal team would assure their safety until we could return. I had my Glock on, and knowing Sean like I did, I would bet he was armed too. I waited outside the door 'till he joined me. Then we walked over to the chopper and were helped in by the copilot. When we were seated and belted in, we were handed headphone helmets which we put on.

"Sirs, we will be at Nellis in about fifteen minutes. You will be catching a ride on one of the Black Hawks we have there. You will arrive at the site in about a half hour after that. We were told to stay on site and under your orders until you relieved us. I don't know what's going on, but the bird you will be riding on has a full compliment of weapons to be used at your discretion."

I looked at Sean and he looked as shocked as I was at that news. I made a motion to the copilot to shut off the mike and I took the helmet off and turned to Sean.

"What the hell do we need an armed bird for?"

"I don't know Harry, but I really don't like the sound of it. Did the Director say anything about any problems on the site?"

"Not a damned thing Sean."

I went on to give him the whole story of the raid and the ATF using WP instead of flash bangs and what had happened. I watched as he went into a mild shock over all the men who were unaccounted for. We were discussing the whole stupidity of the thing when the copilot tapped me on the knee and pointed down. I looked out and saw a helicopter with rotors spinning that I figured was our ride. When we landed the copilot ushered us out and over to the Black Hawk, and almost immediately we were back in the air. I was thinking the Black Hawks were used by the Army but the pilots wore Air Force flight suits. We were again handed helmets and were hooked into the ground radio traffic so we could listen in on all the calls. We were over the site in less than a half hour as the pilot must have been really pouring it on. I knew these things were fast, but this must have been jet boosted or something because we were going so fast everything was just a blur outside. We landed in a clearing that was marked with flares and the pilot shut it down saying they would be right here if they were needed. He handed us a set of ear buds and said we would be in direct contact with them at all times.

I was still clipping the unit to my belt when a State Trooper unit pulled up and the driver motioned for us to get in. When we were in and seated he took off with the siren and lights on.

"I'm supposed to take you directly to the staging area Sirs. The Commander and Butch and the Sheriff are waiting on your arrival. Man, I have to tell you, I have never seen fires burn this hot before. The whole place is nothing but fire and smoke. The firemen haven't been able to get close enough to attempt to put it out because of the intense heat. The whole forest in the area is on fire. When camp blew it splashed the area with burning liquid from the underground tanks."

I didn't say a word but just looked at Sean in shock at the news. He was shell shocked from the look on his face. We pulled up and got out and were met by Charlie and Avery, who looked worried.

"Harry, we got a hell of a mess here and the firemen can't get close enough to the fire to do anything. It has been burning all night and doesn't seem to be letting up at all. I don't know what was in those tanks but this area is better than a half mile from the camp and our eyes are still burning a little. We have all the roads in the area shut down but the forest fire is the main worry as it is headed directly toward the town. There is a gorge it has to cross but there isn't much water in the stream. The Forest Rangers think it will jump the stream. We are looking at blowing the small dam at the head of the canyon so the water will put the fire out before it jumps the stream. We have a problem with that though because it's an earth and timber dam and our demo expert says he doesn't have enough explosive to blow it. It's an old dam and poses no public safety threat, but by the time we get the explosives here it will be too late. Is there anything you can do to help?"

I thought about it for a couple of minutes then remembered the chopper had a full compliment of weapons, and this meant they had to be carrying missiles. They had the firepower on it to blow up a dam I was sure.

"Avery, are all personnel clear of the dam and watercourse?"

"I think so Harry but let me check. Do you have an idea that will help?"

"I think I can solve the problem but I want to make sure everyone is clear of the area before I do anything. Check with your people while I talk to our ride to make sure."

I got on the ear bud and posed the question to the pilot, and was told that it would be no problem at all with just a couple of missiles. If I wanted the whole dam taken out, they would have to use more than two, but it still posed no problem. I told them to get airborne and await my orders. I got a ten four and heard the chopper winding up in the background.

"Avery, are all the people clear? Make damned sure because my chopper is ready to blow the dam on my word."

"How the hell can they with no armaments? I mean, I don't doubt your word Harry, but that dam is going to be a tough nut to break. They can't just land on it and expect it to break it down. It's made of logs and some concrete. There's not a lot of water behind it but it should do the job if we can get it flowing."

"Avery, we came in on a Black Hawk with a full weapons load. I think a missile or two should do the job, don't you?"

"Harry, by this time I should know not to ask, but why have you got a fully armed chopper under your command?"

"Hell, don't ask me. I just caught a ride in on it. Sean here is the one you should ask because he is afraid of his own shadow."

"Go to hell Harry!"

I just laughed and asked Avery again to make sure his people were clear and waited till he did. I then told the pilot to blow a hole in it and release the water as soon as he could. We stood and waited until we heard the first boom and then the second then another before my ear bud went off. The dam is down and the water is headed in your direction. There is a lot of debris in it so I hope everyone is back a good piece, Sir. I asked Avery to warn his people again, telling him about the debris so he got on the radio again. He talked to several different departments and just looked at me, putting his thumb up. I told the pilot to set it back down, but to first fly over the area and see if the fire jumped the gorge before he landed. He came back saying the fire was dying out on the edges, even though the water hadn't reached it yet.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.