Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 72

After Tran got through in the hot tub, we went to breakfast. We could have ordered in, but we both wanted to check on the girls to make sure they were not driving everyone nuts. When we got to the main lodge, it was almost too quiet. Monk and Judy were sitting at one of the tables eating so we sat down with them.

"Judy, nice to see you again. How have you been doing now that you're married with kids of your own?"

She looked at me in a puzzled manner and then I realized what she was thinking about and rapidly explained my question. Of course Monk and Tran though it was hilarious and were cracking up at my discomfort.

"Harry, we are all doing fine thanks. I am very glad Tran finally got you after all these years. I hope both of you are very happy together. Now where did you steal those beautiful girls from? Knowing you I bet you didn't have them or didn't want them."

Before I could say anything Tran jumped in and proceeded to dress Judy down for her smart ass comment. She then went on to tell both of them the whole story. I could see the hurt in Judy's face as she listened to Tran explain.

"Hold it! Now Judy doesn't know and she doesn't know anything about me except from when Monk and I used to come here twenty years ago. I am sure she didn't mean anything by her comment. I suggest both of you settle it right now because I am proud she married my friend and has her own family. Tran, I love you but right now you are out of line and I think you know it. This isn't twenty years ago and you certainly don't run everything like you used to. They may work for you but your sarcasm is not warranted. Now, I want to know where my kids are and if they behaved while under Judy's care."

They all fell silent and just looked at me in shock. I saw Monk grin but he hid it well, and then Tran and Judy were both apologizing for their remarks.

"Harry, the girls were fine and are in the arcade playing the games. Your friend's daughters are with them and Sandra seems to keep them well in hand. Harry, is she your blood? She looks like you in the face."

"Sandra is my granddaughter, Judy. Maybe later Tran can tell you the whole story about how she found me. Now, where are your kids? I haven't seen them yet and I would love to meet them."

I was informed they were in the house with Judy's mother so they didn't interrupt the party and guests.

"Oh for Christ's sakes, Judy. Tell them to come out and play with the other kids and have some fun. They are no bother and besides, as far as we are concerned, you and Monk are family. Tran, will you tell her since you're their godmother?"

She very rapidly did just that, and also told Judy to tell her mother to come out and join the adults. She said she hadn't seen her mother for a few years and wanted to talk to her again. Judy got up and headed for the house. We ate and then sat back so I could have my coffee and smoke a cigarette. Monk started in on me as soon as Judy got up.

"Harry, she has been worried to death you would refuse to talk to her because of her past. She has been looking forward to seeing you again, ever since you called telling me about you and Tran. Harry, why are you and your family being guarded by Navy Seals? I mean, it was great to see Preacher again after all these years but to have him and the Director of Homeland Security at your wedding is a little strange."

Before I could say anything, Preacher, Butter and the Director came in and sat down looking like three miles of bad road. From what I could see, they must have really tied one on last night. They didn't say a word, just reached for the coffee and sat back sipping. Being a smart ass, I just had to say something.

"You three look like you were on a three-day binge. Are any of you able to work today?"

Well, Tran lost it and all I got were three dirty looks from them. The Director glared at me a minute then spoke.

"Harry, I came here to attend a wedding but thanks to these two, it turned into a tequila shooter contest. I am normally not one to hold a grudge, but somewhere down the line I will find a shitty job that I will stick them on, to repay them for part of the headache I have this morning. By the way, congratulations to both of you. I have to fly out in about an hour, so a little silence would be appreciated. I don't want to sound as miserable as I feel when I brief the President this morning."

We all looked at him with surprise before the whole table busted out in laughter. I had to admit, he did sound miserable. This was probably the first time he has been able to relax since he took his position. Before we could say anything else, three beautiful girls ran to Tran yelling "Auntie Tran, Auntie Tran". They all gave her a hug and a kiss before heading straight to the door marked arcade. Judy sat back down and introduced us to her mother, who I would guess was about my age and still a very attractive woman. I in turn introduced them to the rest of the table. I noticed Preacher got a gob smacked look on his face when Judy introduced her. Oh no, I thought, and here we go again. I looked over to see if Tran had noticed, and when she looked at me with that smirk on her face, it suddenly hit me this all was a setup on their part.

George appeared at the side of the table, waiting to be seen I guess. When Butter noticed him, he asked if anything was wrong.

"No sir, I wanted to ask if it was ok to take one of the jeeps out to the lake. Doris and I want to spend some time together talking and catching up."

Tran spoke up and told him to make sure the kitchen packed them a basket to take along. I guess that settled the matter because Butter told him to take as much time as he needed but be sure to take his pistol with him just in case of snakes. I knew this wasn't the reason but I didn't say a word, just watched as he smiled and almost ran to the kitchen. Butter waited till he was out of sight before he commented.

"Harry, I think this trip and running into Doris again was just what George needed. You know, technically he was out of the military at midnight last night. He will get his final retirement papers when we get back to Nellis. I had his jacket sent there so he could stay in the area and now it looks like he will be here awhile. I just hope it works out for him because he has seen enough grief. Maybe he will hook back up with Doris and be happy again. He is a good man and he has suffered greatly since he lost his family."

"Well Butter, I think if they do hook up, as you call it, they will make a good pair. Doris is a good woman and she and George both deserve some happiness. I guess like anything else, it's up to them to work it out. Now Judy, you still never answered my question."

She told me about her and Monk's life up to date and while I was interested and listened, I was watching the byplay between Preacher and Judy's mother. They seemed to be talking without saying a word and it was all I could do to keep from laughing at their antics. I looked over the top of my coffee cup at Tran, and she was watching as intently as I was and smiling to herself.

"Tran honey, what are you going to do today?"

"I plan on meeting the wives later and we are going to catch up on our tans a little. What are you going to do Harry?"

"I am going to gather up the girls and see if I can get a race going on the go-cart Track. I haven't driven one of those things since my daughter was little. I bet I can beat the girls all day long."

"Harry, there's no fool like an old fool. Those girls will probably beat the pants off you all day, so don't come whining to me later saying your go-cart was the slowest one on the track."

"Old fool! That wasn't what you –"

"If you finish that sentence, I will make you miserable the rest of our time here Harry. I warned you about comments this morning."

I looked at her sitting there with that little smirk and remembered what she had said before we left the cabin this morning. I decided to just shut my mouth before I put my foot in it. I must have looked shocked because there were several snorts from around the table. I glared at Preacher and Butter because they seemed to be the ones trying to keep from laughing. I looked at the Director and he had his head down but I could see the big grin on his face as was on Judy's as she looked at me and then Tran. I decided I would get out of there before I got myself into more trouble. I got up and headed for the arcade to get the girls and I heard several people laughing as I walked away. I would make her pay tonight for that little embarrassment, I thought to myself as I walked into the arcade.

The girls all were playing one of the fifty or so games in the arcade. I hollered out that I was going go-cart riding if anybody was interested and I was immediately surrounded. They were complaining that they had been waiting on someone to invite them because there had to be an adult present for them to race. We all headed for the track and were joined by several of the team saying they wanted in on the races too. I wasn't sure about Judy's girls but they assured me they had their own go-carts and raced them all the time. I knew that I was in trouble then, because if they had their own go-carts they did this a lot and were probably very good.

When we got out to the track, it took my breath away. It was set up like a professional raceway and had to be at least a mile long. It twisted back and forth like a snake's back. I walked over to the window and slipped the attendant a twenty as I introduced myself, saying I wanted the fastest cart he had. He looked at me and busted up laughing before he explained.

"Sir, they are all set up exactly alike here. Skill wins the races, not fast carts. The ones you have to beat are Judy's girls as they all three hold rack records and have for years. Now let's get all of you into your safety equipment, because if you don't wear it then you can't race. Oh, and thanks for the tip sir."

Well to make a long story short I spent five hours racing and didn't even place fifth the whole day. Sandra beat the track record once but Judy's girls won the rest of the time. By the time we were done and headed into the dining hall, I was so sore I could hardly move. That hot tub was going to get a work out tonight, that's for sure. We went in and found everyone else was already there eating or just talking. The girls all had a ball recounting their races, but the team members and I didn't have much to brag about so we all kept out mouth's shut.

I sat down next to Tran. I was so sore and stiff I could hardly lift my fork to my mouth to eat. Tran was watching me with that smirk on her face so I gave her a dirty look at which she laughed out loud at me.

"Well Harry, how many races did you win today? You seem awful quiet for a winner."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.