Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 58

I waited for Sandra to finish in the shower and when she came out she had a big smile on her face. I looked at her in a quizzical way and she smiled at me then explained.

"You're gonna love this shower, grandpa. It has the massaging head on the shower and it has enough pressure that it almost knocked me down when I stepped under it. I hope they brought me some jeans with those clothes. I hate wearing a dress and trying to be nice just because it's expected by a girl in a dress."

"You just be yourself and let me worry about what is right or wrong. Here, I need you to put your thumb on this new phone so we can get it set up."

As it turned out this was only part of the process. There was a voice recognition step with a sentence you had to say along with your name. We listened to the voice telling us the different steps we had to go through to get it to work for us. Me, I thought it was a pain in the ass but Sandra was having a ball with the whole process. We finally got it up and running so I could use it later. I went to get my shower leaving Sandra to get dressed. I had already put a chair under the door knob so I knew nobody was going to enter without us knowing. I made my shower quick and cut myself shaving as usual. When I got back to the bedroom Sandra was dressed and waiting on me. She was wearing shorts and her usual boots with a button up type of shirt. I looked at my stuff and could immediately see it had come from Wal-Mart or some chain store. There was a light cotton jacket I could wear over the t-shirt so my shoulder holsters would be covered. I got dressed and put the forty five in the small of my back and the fifty on my belt. Sandra just watched not saying a word.

We went down the steps with me leading and were met at the bottom by a stranger. I had the fifty covering him before he even realized it was pointing at him.

"Who the hell are you and where's Chuck?"

"He had to go out for a little bit to check the perimeter, Mr. Hansom. My name is Steve and I was coming to call you and your daughter to supper. Will you follow me please?"

He turned and started walking away from us. I nodded my head to Sandra to move the opposite way. He wasn't part of the detail and he had screwed up big time by calling Sandra my daughter. We moved back up the steps while I was already calling the Director. I didn't know how many were in the house but I would bet Chuck was already dead. This was all coming apart too fast. They had to have inside help to have found us so quick. When I got the Director on the line and told him of my suspicions he was livid, telling me to find a room where I could guard us until he got there with the SEAL team he was meeting with. He was still in the area and had been delayed because of the heavy fog. He said they would be coming in with choppers and that I wasn't to move until they had total control of the house and grounds. We went back to the bedroom where our little bit of stuff was and I filled my pockets with extra mags for the 45 and the twenty-twos. I gave Sandra one telling her to be careful and don't shoot unless she had too. My cell rang and I answered it. I was told by the Director that the SEAL team was working their way toward the house and to stay put until he knocked on the door.

I put the chair back under the knob and waited for whatever was going to happen.

Steve came to the door talking and trying the knob as he did. When he couldn't enter he dropped all pretenses.

"You know we will get you so why don't you give up. I promise neither one of you will suffer. We have a job to do Mr. Hansom and we will do it."

"What I want to know is who the hell you people are? The contract was canceled with the death of the money man and his attorney."

"I assure you it has not been canceled and was just raised less than an hour ago. There are six of us in the house and unless you want you and your daughter to suffer before you both die I suggest you just quit with all the hiding."

"I think you better check with your contact because she is not my daughter and you have made a serious mistake, Steve."

"I don't think so Barry Hansom, we have been looking for you for the last two weeks. I guarantee you and Miss Kathy won't be testifying in front of the grand jury tomorrow."

I looked at Sandra and she looked back with a question in her eyes. I just shrugged at her. I didn't know who he was after but I knew this was all a case of mistaken identity. I almost busted up laughing but the seriousness of the whole thing wasn't a laughing matter. He tried to use his weight to bust through the door but it was made of oak and he didn't get far doing that. He then tried shooting the door handle and lock off. I waited 'till I was sure of where he was standing and again the superior power of the fifty paid off as after I shot I heard a dull thump outside the door. I looked at Sandra and she had both hands covering her ears. She grinned at me before she dropped them back to her sides.

"Grandpa, my ears are still ringing from this morning. I wish you had some kind of noise killer for that thing."

I gave her a big grin and sat on the edge of the bed with her right beside me. We didn't say anything but I was watching the balcony and the door. I had already killed the lights but since it was still daylight out, the room was brighter than I wanted. We were in the shadows as we sat on the bed. I still hadn't heard the chopper carrying the SEAL team and wondered if it was one of the new style that was almost totally silent. We sat for about twenty minutes then came a knocking at the door. I almost shot out of reaction to the noise.

"Harry, it's me and the house and grounds are clear. You and Sandra can come out if you wish. We moved the body in the hall so there's nothing to see."

I recognized the directors voice but for some unknown reason I still hesitated. Then I called his number on the cell and heard the ring in the hall. He answered and said he wasn't being coerced and it was all clear. I went to the door and he was standing there with two fully battle dressed men with camouflage paint on their faces. I recognized the weapons and patch on their flack jackets as soon as I laid eyes on them. I motioned them to go ahead of us and followed them down the stairs with the fifty still in my hand. The rest of the team was spread in a circle at the foot of the steps so I walked to the nearest chair and sat down. Sandra was standing behind the chair as we had practiced so many times on the island.

"Now somebody want to tell me how they got on to us so quick?"

"I'll be damned if I know Harry, but this has already cost too many lives. Have you figured out what the hell's going on because I sure as hell haven't?"

"Do you have a witness in protective custody with his daughter by the name of Barry Hansom?"

"Not that I'm aware of but let me check."

He got on his cell and made several calls and the color drained out of his face as he listened to whoever he was presently talking to. He asked a couple of questions then hung up the phone with a look of puzzlement on his face.

"How did you know, Harry? He and his daughter are testifying in front of the grand jury in the morning. You mean all of this has been a case of mistaken identity?"

"I'm afraid so Director. The dummy in the hall tipped me off when he couldn't seem to quit calling me Barry and Sandra Kathy. He said the bounty just got raised again about an hour ago. Now if it was me, I would get his cell or try to find out who put the hit out. I have a feeling it's someone in the prosecutor's office because he knew too damn much for it to be anyone else. I don't know what it's all about but it has cost too many innocent lives already. Did they take down Chuck and the others?"

"Yes, I'm afraid they did, even the cook who wasn't even part of the team. Dammit, I just lost a good friend and you can bet there is going to be hell to pay over this. Harry, this is Lt. Spears and he and his team are your ghosts for the rest of the night or until I deem it safe enough to release them. You will be in charge but he has almost as much experience in this stuff as you so I would listen to his suggestions if it were me. I have a team coming in to clean up the mess and again, you and Sandra will be moved tonight. I'm sorry but I don't know what else to do until I can get all this unscrambled. They have a chopper outside for you so if you have anything you need to take with you, better grab it. The ride will be a short one and I promise a hot meal will be waiting when you get there. I have to go and you have my number. I'm sorry about all of this, Harry, and if I had known I wouldn't have brought you into Florida when you came back. Sean is doing fine and is awake and giving the doctors hell because they won't let him get up and walk around."

We both got a good laugh and I felt Sandra squeeze my shoulder at the news. We watched as he left and then the Lt. came over and asked if we were ready to go. We were loaded into a helicopter that was whisper quiet as we took off. I was watching as we flew toward the glades and then it hit me where we were going. I turned to the Lt. and he was grinning at me.

I smiled back and asked if we were going to the sinkhole and when had it reopened. He looked at me in shock and laughed before answering my question.

"Man if you remember that place then you must be old school. We been training there for the last five years. How's come you know about it Mr. Hanson?"

"I was an instructor there for the Army when we were training Vietnamese Army Officers on the advanced tactical radar that was used in the Huey gun ships. I spent a lot of time getting ate by mosquitoes there. We used to rotate in and out on a six month on then six off."

"I remember reading the names of the instructors there on the inside of the old NCO quarters before we tore it down. That was a long time ago Mr. Hanson."

"Yea LT, longer than I care to admit."

He just grinned at me as I felt the chopper feathering out to land. There were no lights on anywhere and then I realized they all now had night vision goggles on. We were escorted into what must have been the chow hall because the smells were making my mouth water. We went through one door and then through another into a brightly lit dining room. They were under complete blackout conditions here like we always were.

"Mr. Hanson, I think you will be safe here until I can get my team showered. Then we will join you for a late supper. Young lady, I think I have a set of fatigues that will fit you if you want them."

"Gee sir, that would be great. I would love to wear them instead of these shorts."

He smiled as he went out and we went to the counter. I got a cup of coffee and Sandra was offered a Pepsi by the cook who came out to see what was going on. When he saw Sandra he did a double take. He had a big smile on his face as he came over to us and brought her the Pepsi.

"Sorry ma'am, we only have Pepsi for female officers. I didn't know these swabbies allowed women into their private little training ground. It's good to see a pretty face around here for a change."

I was smiling at his sense of humor and Sandra was giggling at his words. I had noticed despite all the violence of the last couple of days, she was relaxed and not defensive around strangers like she was when we first went to the island. I personally was happy she was starting to smile and act more like her age instead of a miniature adult like she was when she first found me. She still had her temper though as I had seen it at the hospital. All in all I was very proud of her. She had rubbed off on me too as I seemed to have more patience than I remembered. She and the cook were joking back and forth and he was telling her if these swabbies gave her any problems to just look them in the eye and say "Semper Fi", Navy. I lost it at that point and was laughing up a storm at the looks of surprise I got from both of them. I started to explain why I was laughing when the SEAL team came in dressed in full uniforms. I just looked at them in shock as did the Marine cook. He looked at me in total shock as they came over to the table where Sandra was sitting and they all came to attention in front of her.

"Sandra Hanson, by acclamation of the men in SEAL Team Three we hereby adopt you as an honorary SEAL with all the customary ideals of SEAL Team Three. You will be addressed as Chief and be treated as such with the rank we have given you. Here are your uniforms and we all would be proud if you accepted the honor to become one of us."

They all saluted and held it for five seconds and dropped hands still at attention. Sandra looked at them with wide eyes and then looked at me for guidance as to what she should do.

"Honey, this is a great honor they are offering you. The decision is yours to make."

"I won't lose you will I grandpa? I mean, I won't have to stay here and train or leave your side if I do this, will I?"

"No honey you won't lose me but this is a serious decision you are making. These men are some of the best of the best of our armed forces, and they are offering you something that is rarely offered to anyone. The decision will have to be yours, Sandra, but I think your mother would be proud of you if you accepted it."

We all waited to see what she would do. She looked at me again and then at the men in front of her. She stood slowly and to my surprise threw them a perfect textbook salute while standing at attention she held it. The Lt. returned it then all them started laughing and coming to her to hug her and congratulate her for becoming a SEAL and a member of their unit. Even the cook came to her and hugged her congratulating her on her appointment. They told her where the head was and she asked what a head was and when it was explained to her, she got a little red in the face. I laughed and got a dirty look for doing so from all the men and my granddaughter. She marched to where they had pointed and went in. One of the team stood outside the door at parade rest until she came back out. I saw the door open but couldn't see her as he had her stay behind him as they came back to the table where we were all sitting. He turned around and I could see he was making a few adjustments then he turned back around and in a loud voice said to all the men sitting at the table.

"May I present our newest team mate, Chief Hanson!" He stepped aside, and even I was shocked at the picture before me. She was dressed in jungle fatigues that looked like they were made for her. They were tailored perfectly and her rank was pinned to her collar tabs in regulation black. She had the boots to match and looked like a miniature female soldier. I was in shock and wondered how they had come up with all of this in such a short time. The uniform and boots made the picture complete and dammit, I didn't have any kind of camera to take a picture. I didn't have to worry as several of the team got out small digital cameras and were taking shots of her with each other. I just shook my head in wonder at how happy she seemed to be with these men. She was joking and cutting up like she had known them for years. The Lt. came over and sat next to me and started to tell me how they had made all this happen.

"I can see by your expression you shocked with all of this Mr. Hanson. We got a shipment of fatigues in last week that were to go to some third world country and they were for some reason all children's sizes. Imagine our surprise when we found out our new jungle boots were all in children's sizes too. I personally think she looks great. My men came up with the idea after seeing what happened at the house. I helped move that body in the hall and you hit him dead center through a wall by sound. I realized then we weren't dealing with ordinary people. Your comment about this base tells me that you had to have been in Special Forces or you wouldn't have known about this place. Several of my team have children and have been away from them for too long on this deployment. I hope this is all ok with you."

"LT, I am as proud of her as any parent would be. After what she has been through today it's good to see her laughing and having a good time. If this helps the morale of your team then by all means let them have their fun. It will do them all good in the long run. I do want a few of those pictures and one with the whole team and her. I will give you my email address and you can send them to me there. I will have them blown up so she can hang them on her wall in her room. Make sure you have the men sign at least one picture before we leave here tomorrow so she can carry it with her. From now on just call me Harry, will you?"

"Well Harry all of that can be arranged I'm sure. My name with the team is Butter and please don't ask how I got that one. My armorer wants me to ask you if he can get his hands on that fifty of yours for a couple of hours. I promise when he is done with it you won't have another that will match it. He is a wonder with weapons of all kinds. I noticed you are wearing double shoulder holsters and a back holster. Can I ask you what they are? I have never seen weapons like the two in your shoulder holsters. They look familiar but the profile is all wrong to me. No, I am not trying to disarm you but my hobby is handguns and they are driving me nuts."

I pulled one of the Walthers out and unloaded it before handing it to him. He looked at it then broke it down looking at the inside and how it was set up. He had a stumped look on his face when he did this but all of a sudden he started smiling as he put it back together and handed it back to me. I broke it down and double checked to make sure the mainspring was there and put it back together, loading it as I did. I reholstered and looked at him, waiting to see what he would say at my actions.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.