Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 52

I went walking around the area looking for the kids. I finally found them playing a game, trying to win a big teddy bear. Sandra was cheering him on, trying to get a yellow bear.

"Grandpa, Jimmy won me a big bear. I'm going to keep it in my room on the end of the bed. What are we going to do this afternoon, Grandpa?"

"I don't know, Sandra, I think we will just go home and relax. Maybe you and Jimmy can practice your music awhile? I don't know about you, but it's going to be a long day tomorrow. Jimmy, go tell your Aunt that you're going to the house with us."

We sat down at a table and waited for him to come back. It didn't take him very long to return and we climbed into my unit and headed for the house.

When we pulled up in front of the house, Mark was loading suitcases into his unit. I walked over to him and asked him what was going on?

"I'm just moving the girls stuff to the new place, Harry."

I threw my badge and identification at him, saying I quit. He didn't say a word to me. He just finished loading his unit, saying goodbye. For some reason I felt like a load had been lifted off my shoulders. Well, I still had my PI license to fall back on. I also had all the other ID's to use if I needed them. I went in the house, turned the coffee pot on, and sat down and waited for it to brew. I decided to dig out my laptop computer and see about our plane tickets to Columbus. I got online and booked our tickets and hotel using the company I always used. I also arranged for a rental car when we got to the Columbus airport. Since I no longer had a reason to be here for the auction, I went ahead and booked us to fly out in the morning. I told Sandra and Jimmy I would return in a little bit, then headed for the motor pool. When I got there, Doris was in her office, so I handed her my unit keys. I told her I was no longer with the Sheriff's Department, so not to call me but to call Mark for any problems she might have. I got the keys to my Jeep and headed back to the cabin. She tried to question me about it, but I didn't feel like talking.

When I pulled up in front of the cabin, I could hear a violin playing, and I just knew Sandra was teaching Jimmy one of the new songs. I had never heard it before, so I knew that's what it was. I grabbed a cup of coffee, sat down at the table and just listened to them play. Since we were leaving in the morning, I knew I had to tell Jimmy to wait to bring the shotguns until we got back.

As I listened to the two of them play, I could not believe how beautiful it sounded. I didn't know who was on the violin, but they could make it talk. I spent the next three hours sitting and listening to them, sipping coffee and wondering what kind of a situation we were going to run into in Columbus.

I heard a vehicle pulling up in front of the cabin, I got up and looked out the front and it was a State Trooper four wheel-drive. I watched as Charlie climbed out and came up to the door and knocked. I let him in and we went to the kitchen. I poured him a cup of coffee, and we both sat and listened to the music.

"Harry, I heard you quit the sheriffs Department. If that's true, I want you to come to work for me as a supervisor of our whole troop. I don't know what caused the rift between you and Mark, but I am going to take advantage of it if I can. You already have the rank of senior Commander, so it will be no problem to work you in as the supervisor. You won't have to answer to anyone, but only check in with me once in awhile. I will give you your own unit, which you can use for personal and on duty use."

"Charlie, I have to think about it, because I'd like to spend some time with my granddaughter. I haven't even made up my mind what I want to do yet. I already have ID's from Homeland Security and the FBI. I have my own federal carry permit. I can carry a gun anywhere. I don't know, Charlie, let me think about it. We are leaving for Columbus tomorrow. So how about I give you an answer when I get back."

"You do that Harry, but I want you to consider that we would really like you to be part of our unit. You are a damned good investigator, and it would be a shame if you didn't keep working at it. You have your ID from my department, so use it if you need it. I will back you in any way possible if you run into problems. Well, I better get back, so I'll talk to you later."

I walked into the door and watched as he drove down the driveway. Just what I needed, something else to think about. I went back to the kitchen and sat back down, thinking about what he said. Sandra and Jimmy came in and sat down to table with me. They both had Pepcis, which they were sipping looking at me with a question in their eyes.

"Jimmy, tell your Aunt I said to send you out with the shotguns next week when we get back from Columbus. I decided that we are leaving tomorrow to fly there. We will be gone a week or maybe two, depending on what we run into. Don't worry, I'll have Sandra call you when we get back. Well guys, where do we eat at tonight because I sure don't feel like cooking?"

"How about we all go to the steakhouse in town, and all of us have a big T-bone for supper? Grandpa, while we're in Columbus, can I visit some of my friends?"

"Honey, you can visit anyone you want too because we'll have a whole week end to just roam around, taking in the sights. I have several friends there I want to visit too. All in all, it should be a pretty pleasant trip for the both of us. Okay you two, get ready to go get something to eat."

While they were getting ready, I went up and checked the girl's and Mark's room. There was nothing left, so he had gotten everything out that he wanted. I decided to change the alarm codes on the house when we left this time. We would drop Jimmy off before we came home. I would show Sandra the survival shelter, and how she could get in there in case of an emergency. I would be almost willing to bet that she would go crazy upon seeing it.

We all piled into the Jeep and headed for the steakhouse. We set down at a table, and then we all headed for the buffet and piled our plates full. I watched as Jimmy made four trips, and could not figure out where he was putting all that food. Sandra was laughing and making fun of him saying he acted like he hadn't eaten for a month. His come back to her was he liked the food here. We all spent a pleasant afternoon, and then we took Jimmy home and headed back to the cabin.

When we got inside I told Sandra that I had something I wanted to show her. I made her promise that she would never tell anyone what she was about to see. I made sure that she understood that she couldn't tell Jimmy either. I went to the freezer and slid it back, showing her the lever to pull to get inside the shelter. When I opened the door the hiss sounded and her eyes got big. I pulled open the door and flipped the lights on. She didn't say a word as she walked with me and I showed her everything in there. I was surprised that she hadn't asked me one question about why it was here and why I hadn't told her about it. When we came back out and I closed it back up, then we went into the kitchen and sat down. I just sat there and waited for the questions I knew were coming.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.