Shamus Journals
Chapter 49

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

I listened to the kids laughing in glee at every musical instrument they found. To put it mildly, I was bored to death. I had watched the kids bounce in and out of the bay for the last hour. I just wished I had their energy. I was about to doze off when Sandra came over to me with Jimmy right behind her. She was holding a hard case that looked like it was for a guitar.

"Grandpa, I found what I was looking for. I found a left handed guitar and a mandolin. I want you to buy them so I can teach you how to play this winter. Jimmy and I already found each of us a mandolin so we can all play together."

"You two are something else. I will buy them all for us on one condition."

"What's that?"

"You two promise not to make fun of my two left arms while you try to teach me."

"Oh Grandpa, we wouldn't do that. We want you to learn so you can play with us. I am digging out guitars for the girls to learn too."

"Ok you win. Pile the stuff you want to buy in a special pile and I will get them. But please, no more than you both need to teach us, ok?"

They gave each other a high five as they ran back into the bay. It didn't take long for them to make a pile to the side. I didn't know what they were going to cost me, but if it made them happy then it did the same for me.

They had the stuff cleared out of the bay in no time and declared most of it was in good shape to sell at the auction. I watched as they moved to the next bay and opened it and everybody back away from the door. I got up thinking the worst when one of the men called for Doris. We both got there about the same time and the sight in the bay took both our breath away. The whole bay was filled with the roll type tool boxes and they all were of a brand name and all looked new. She opened a few of the drawers in them and they were full to the top.

"Harry, I am claiming one each of these for every bay in my shop. The rest we can sell at auction. I need them as the ones we have are pretty well worn out."

"Doris, they're yours to choose from. Use what you need and load the rest for auction. They are the triple stack type so they should have anything you need for your people."

All the workers gave out a big cheer, and proceeded to grab a box and roll it to the shop. They took two extras and the bay was still over half full of the tool boxes.

"Doris, how do you plan on loading all this stuff to take it to the auction?"

"We have three thirty foot flat bed trailers. We can use the forklift to do the loading. It shouldn't be a problem Harry."

"Ok Doris, you know better than me what your guys are capable of. I just hope we can get it all moved over in time to sell all of it."

"Don't worry, Harry, I have four trucks coming to move the stuff over as we get a load. There is one coming in today as a matter of fact. They are from the state so they all are bonded. We are getting into some expensive stuff and I want to make sure none of it comes up missing. I checked with Mark this morning and he will have a guard over there all the time to make sure. Harry, I hate to think where all this stuff came from, but I will be glad to finally get it out of here. When this is all cleared out I can assign each man his own bay and have room for some other plans I want to put into motion. Thanks for sticking with this so we can get it done."

"Well, I hate sitting around here doing this, but I will see it through if it kills me, or those two kids wear me out watching them have so much fun."

"Yeah, they seem to be in their element don't they?"

I just snorted at that ridiculous statement and walked back to my chair. This day was getting longer and longer with each passing hour. I was sitting and about half dozing when Doris came out, and said there were several people from the gulch in her office that wanted to talk to me. I got up and went to her office. I got a cup of coffee and sat down facing the five people that were standing inside.

"What can I do for you folks today?"

"Sheriff we need your help. When we had all the other homecoming and grand openings in the gulch, we were issued permits to sell food and drinks and these types of things to help raise money for our people. We went to the courthouse this morning, and a new clerk who is the old sheriff's first cousin refused to let us buy the permits. She flat out told us her relatives from around the county had already bought all the available permits. If we tried to set up to sell they would wreck our stands and run us out of the area until the auction was over. The county recorder is away until next month in training. She is a good lady and was just elected this last month. Is there some way you can help? We need the funds we make from the sales. All of our stuff has been inspected by the health department and cleared for use."

"Let me make a couple of calls. I don't like the sound of all of this. It stinks, and the old sheriff and his family have caused enough trouble in this county."

I got on the phone to the prosecutor and explained the problem to him and he was almost as pissed as I was getting. He said for me to give him an hour to draft a restraining order for the judge to sign. He also said he would call the new county recorder and apprise her of her clerk's action and see what she had to say. I was to call him back in an hour.

I told the people from the gulch what I had been told and they were all smiles at the news. I noticed the woman from the valley was their spokesman and she seemed to have her arguments carefully thought out.

We sat around and drank coffee and whiled the hour away, waiting for me to make the call back to the prosecutor. I waited almost an hour and made the call.

He got on the line immediately stating the judge had signed an order stating that any permits previously issued were null and void. I was also told there was a law on the books stating that any community that wanted to apply for permits for this type of thing had first choice before they were opened up to outside applicants. He told me he also had a signed and notarized fax from the recorder giving me power of attorney to act in her place until she returned. I told him we would be there to pick up the paperwork in a little while.

I went out and told Doris to tell Sandra I would be back as I had a call to make. She smiled and said she hoped I was able to help them. We all headed for the courthouse. I parked in front and waited while they found parking spots. We went in the front door together and headed for the prosecutors office. I walked in while the others waited in the hallway for me. He was waiting for me and handed me the court order and the power of attorney.

"Harry, I know this clerk you're talking about and she thinks she runs that office. The newly elected recorder told me on the phone if you have to fire her to make sure you got all her keys and not to let her take anything that wasn't personal."

"If she gives me some crap I guarantee you she won't be working here after today. I've about had my fill of these power hungry relatives of that old sheriff."

I went back out and we headed for the recorders office. When we walked in, I noticed that one of the older women who saw us walk in almost ran to an office and whispered in another woman's ear. This woman got up and came to the counter.

"How many times do I have to tell you gulch trash the permits are all sold out? Why are you back here and who is this old man you brought with you? If you think he can change things then you better get an attorney. By the time you do that the auction will be over and the question of the permits will be moot. Now leave this office before I call a deputy to remove you."

Listening to her talk to these people like they were trash beneath her feet had me so pissed I had to take a deep breath. I knew if I didn't get myself under control I would probably smack her and that wouldn't help the matter at all. I backed away from the counter and got my walkie out and asked dispatch for a unit to come here ASAP. They said Beau was in the area and was on his way. I just stood and glared at her while I waited for him to arrive. When he walked in and saw all the people standing around the woman immediately started in on him.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.