Shamus Journals
Chapter 40

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

We were to be really surprised at the girls' condition when I sent Mark to call them for supper. When they showed up in the kitchen, the sight was enough to make a sane man pull his hair out. Dina had a scarf tied around her hair and the only thing it protected was her forehead. Dana was in about the same condition, but she had one side of her face painted white like she lost a battle with a paint roller. Sandra was still looking like she had lost a battle with a paint ball gun. The only difference I could see was that one eyebrow was white and the other was pink. I looked at Mark and he had his hand over his mouth to keep from laughing out loud. I told them to go wash their hands for supper and they all ran for the bathroom. Mark looked at me and lost it. I didn't think it was that funny myself, but he was having a ball.

"Harry, that's the first time I have ever seen them that dirty. I am going to get my camera and take some pictures of this one. I just hope the only thing besides themselves that got painted were the walls. Oh this is so funny. Those two have always been so prissy about their appearances."

I watched as he went for the camera to take some pictures. Meanwhile the girls came back in and I didn't see any difference or any progress to show where they had washed themselves. I just sighed and told them to set the table for supper. I just hoped the paint taste didn't make them hate their food. I need not have worried because after they sat down they dug in and to my surprise, they ate everything I set on the table. They all had two glasses of milk and then cleaned the table and went back to the bedroom without saying a word except to thank me because the supper was great. I looked at Mark and he was smiling so I decided to grab my coffee and go to the porch and watch the sun set. I sat back and lit a cigarette, and Mark sat down in the other chair.

"You know, Harry, that is the most I have ever seen them eat. Did you see how quickly they went back to the bedroom to finish up whatever they are doing? I am really wondering what they are up to in there. This is a whole different side of them that I have never seen before."

"Mark, I decided when Sandra told me not to peek to just try to quit worrying about it. My curiosity is just as high as yours is, but unlike you I am about half afraid to see what they are painting in there. She bought enough supplies to paint the whole cabin if she wanted. It's probably my fault because I told her she could do it any way she wanted. I didn't know your two were going to be involved too. Do you know how long it's going to take us to get all the paint off of them tonight? You can do your two and I will do Sandra. If you need help don't yell for me as I figure I am going to have my hands full."

"Well, Harry, did it ever occur to you they all might want to bathe together?"

"Oh God, I hope not. That's one mess I don't need to face after eating a full meal. I am not going to quit the department, but I am planning to take some time off in the next couple of weeks. I need to get those papers and get a court date set to adopt her. I am not taking any chances of some damned bureaucrat trying to stop me. Her mom said her dad signed away all parental rights and I need to have those papers checked to make sure they were done by an attorney and not something they wrote out. Mark, if he tries to make a move to take her from me it will be the biggest mistake of his life if he lives that long."

"Harry, just take it easy until you have all the facts. I know how you feel about her, but don't go off half cocked. You have a good attorney so let him do the work. I don't want to have to come east to bail you out, my friend. I don't know anything about her father, but if he has never paid any child support then that makes your case that much stronger. You have any kind of ID you need so use it if you have to. I want you both back here in one piece, Harry. The girls would go crazy if they didn't have their Uncle Harry to hug goodnight. I suggest you make some phone calls before you leave and see the judge here to get custody before you go back east."

"That's a damn good idea, Mark. He should grant me custody here in Nevada and then if there are any hearings, we will have them here. I can't picture her dad having the money to hire an attorney or to live here while the hearing phase goes on. I want him out of the picture, Mark, and I have over a million dollars in the bank I can use to make sure that happens."

"Harry, you're jumping the gun again. Wait 'till you get your hands on the papers and let your attorney look at them. Why don't you have her stay with Nina while you fly back and get all the ground work done? Before you get mad, remember the bigger the surprise the quicker the adoption takes place. Hell, you have half the law enforcement in the land on your side. Use them, Harry, and use the hell out of them to get what you're after."

I went to say something more when the girls came out on the porch. God, what a mess we had to clean up. They were even worse than the last time we saw them. Mark took some more pictures and busted up laughing at them. I just shook my head wondering how we were going to get all the paint out of their hair.

"Grandpa, do you have any turpentine I can use to help us get the paint off? Don't worry I can see the look of shock on your faces and I know what I am doing. Mom taught me how to clean hair and other parts to get the paint off. I promise you both I will have the girls completely clean of any paint in a little while if you let me. When we're done, I want you both to see what we did in the bedroom."

"Ok, Sandra, if you can do what you say, then you get to pick where we eat tomorrow for lunch."

"Ok, Grandpa, you have already lost the bet. Give me an hour and they won't look like they've ever been painting. Come on girls let's show these two what we can do together."

I handed her the turpentine and they all left to go to the bathroom in the girls' room. I looked at Mark and he just shrugged his shoulders at me. I wondered what I had gotten myself into now. Mark had that shit eating grin on his face as he watched me.

"Harry, I don't know what you're thinking, but if she does what she says then I won't have to clean all that paint off the girls and that's worth you paying for lunch if you lose."

"Very funny, Mark. I have a feeling I have just been suckered but I can't figure out how. That girl is way too smart for her age. She is going to keep me on my toes even when she's asleep, I think."

He thought that was hysterical, and was quick to tell me I needed a woman in my life even if she was only nine years old. I needed a second set of eyes with her. I had a deep down feeling my education about kids was about to take a turn for the learning curve. I had spent years beating around the country and I already had a feeling she was smarter than me. I wondered how many times she would outsmart me in the years to come. My daughter had me pegged and always had, but Sandra was the one I was afraid of because she was so smart. I loved her already, but I had a feeling she would always be one step ahead of me. Helluva way to run a horse ranch.

Mark and I were talking about me promoting Kit when he got back when we heard someone behind us clearing their throat. We turned around and there stood three sparkling clean little girls dressed for bed. I couldn't see a spot of paint on them anywhere. Oh well, I had been had again as I expected. Mark was looking with his mouth hanging open like he couldn't believe what he was seeing. I dropped my head to keep him from seeing me smiling at his disbelief. Hell, I was having a hard time believing it myself. Mark just had to open his big mouth.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.