Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 36

I made sure I met Hadley at the coffee pot as he came up to the feeding area.

"Harry, if I didn't have a family to support I would spend the rest of my life looking for the people that could do this to children. This is one time that I need to go home and hug my kids and my wife. If she saw this, she would be in the hospital with shock. Do you have any idea at all who is shipping these kids to this part of the country?"

"I haven't had a chance to go through all the papers I confiscated from the casino yet. That first bunch we found were being driven by a member of the Brotherhood out of Texas. I still don't believe they are doing this."

"If they are, it's a first for them. They deal in arms and drugs and other smuggling but they have never been connected with something like this. No, I think it's some other group. Maybe the Mexican Mafia or one of the Drug Cartels. I have not seen any memos or any other information about anyone dealing in children like what we have found here. My team will sweat that man you blew up as soon as he is able to talk."

"I don't think I had much of a choice on that one Hadley. I wasn't going to let him hurt anyone else or blow that warehouse. Sorry, but it was my call, Hadley."

"I am not blaming you for what you did, Harry. I would have done the same. By the way, will you call me by my first name?"

"If I knew what the hell it was I would."

"It's Sean, and I'm sorry I haven't been very polite toward you. I didn't realize how many years of experience in the service you had. I about had a heart attack when I finally was able to get my hands on your jacket. If you don't mind me asking, why did you drop off the face of the earth after the Butler case?"

"Sean that's one subject I would like to forget about. Let's say I got him, but he died before he could stand trial. I decided right then I was done with government service. That's why I went with the County service. It was rife with the same mentality as the big boys were. I went private, and the only reason I am carrying this badge now is because of Mark. Hell, Sean, I don't have to work, but I need something to keep me busy. I don't think I would rate this as such, but maybe it will help to erase some of the black spots on my soul. What are we going to do with all these little kids, Sean?"

"That's not for us to decide, Harry. I can tell you that most of the ones I talked to were orphaned from all over the Latin countries. There was one little girl, the one who was waving the rag, told me a big white man bought her and ten others for fifty dollars American each. She told me she has had only had three meals in the last ten days, and very little water. She also said some of these kids had been in that barn for two weeks before they got here. She didn't know where they were going from here, but she said anything was better than being in that barn."

I didn't have any type of comeback for that statement so I just sat in silence and drank my coffee. I looked at my watch and to my surprise it was only a few minutes after midnight. I looked around and all the girls except one were asleep. The one sitting at the table was staring at me like she knew me, or was trying to remember if she did. Now this was disconcerting as hell. I noticed Sean was taking it all in with a frown on his face.

"Do you know her from somewhere Harry?"

"I have never seen her before that I know of Sean. I wish she would quit staring at me."

She must have been reading my mind because she went over to an empty sleeping bag and went to bed.

"That was really weird, Harry. Are you sure you don't know her?"

"I am positive Sean. I must remind her of somebody or something. Let's go see if they have any food left. I haven't eaten since this morning."

He looked at me in surprise and nodded his head. We walked over to the chow line and asked, and were told all they had left were some bologna sandwiches and some soup. We were told they were having a full breakfast in the morning. The choppers were due in at daybreak with more food and water. They were also expecting clothes and the stuff to set up portable showers for all the girls. They said the women from town were coming back to help with bathing and getting clothes to match the girls. We were also told there was a tent set up for the two of us by the house. He said a Sgt. by the name of Preacher had made sure it was set up for us and even pointed us out to make sure they all knew who it was for. We thanked him and headed for it. There was a light burning inside and two cots with sheets and a pillow.

I stripped down to my briefs and climbed in between the sheets. Sean wasn't far behind me and since the light was closer, I was the one who turned it off. I did make sure I put my gun under my pillow, close at hand just in case. I fell asleep thinking about the girls.

I don't know how long I had been asleep when my eyes popped open, and I realized I was holding my pistol. I didn't know what had awakened me so I lay on the cot listening to the sounds around me. I heard what sounded like steps outside of the tent. I didn't move, just laid and listened. There it was again, in the rear of the tent, coming around to the front. I could hear Sean breathing in a steady pattern so I knew he was still sound asleep. The steps were almost by the flaps now, and I had the pistol pointed at the opening of the tent flaps. Whoever was out there would be outlined when they opened the flaps so I would be able to see who it was. I waited for what seemed like an hour to me, when I saw a hand grab the flap and ease it open. I almost shot, but at the last minute I was able to see it was the little girl who had been staring at me at the table. I wondered what she was up to as I watched her ease into the tent. I reached up and turned the light on and she let out a little scream when the light came on. Sean sat up wide awake looking toward where the scream came from.

"Why are you here and what do you want?"

"I don't think she speaks English, Harry."

"Oh I think she does because her eyes widened when I spoke to her. Now little girl, why are you in my tent?"

"I was looking for you, Harry. My mom said she thought you were out this way. That's why I let myself stay with the other orphans. I could have escaped at any time. Don't you remember who I am? I know I was only five the last time you saw me, but I haven't changed that much have I?"

"I don't know who you are and I certainly would have remembered if I knew you. Where is your family?"

"My mother is dead, that's why I was in the orphanage in Sonora. I did have a letter for you but those men burned it when they searched me. If you could have read it, you would have understood why I was trying to find you."

"You don't have it, and I have no idea who you are, or who your mother might have been. If you have some kind of explanation, then I suggest you tell me or get out of here."

"I will tell you, and I will also tell you where Mom said the records were she locked up for you to read. My name is Sandra Hanson and until we went to Sonora we lived in Columbus, Ohio. My mother's name was Cindy and she was your daughter until she died of cancer. I am your granddaughter, and I have been trying to find you for two years. I wrote to everyone Mom told me about, but nobody knew where you were. Can I please stay with you or are you going to send me back to Sonora to be sold again?"

I was sitting there with my mouth hanging open with my gun still in my hand. My God! Did she say she was my granddaughter? My daughter died of cancer two years ago? Why hadn't someone told me about all of this? How come my ex never let me know? She knew where I was as I always sent her and her family a Christmas card every year. Sean spoke up and it took a couple of minutes for it to register he was even speaking to me.

"Harry, say something will you? If this is true, then you are twice blessed in the last twenty four hours. I think she is waiting for you to answer her."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.