Shamus Journals
Chapter 33

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Before we got back to the casino, I turned in the seat and told Butch what I wanted him to do in relation to the illegals.

"Butch, I am turning over the search operation to you to run. I want that warehouse found and help given to those poor women and girls. If anyone gives you any shit, call me on my cell and if you need warrants then you will have them. I will put the prosecutor on notice and he will be ready for your call. I have the bus filled with bottles of water coming and if you need ambulances don't hesitate to call for them. I need to grab another weapon and do a little chore I think needs to be done. Beau, I want you to take the stuff in the trunk to the evidence room. I want the papers kept aside for me to look at. The rest I want in the cage safe for right now. All of you know my cell number so you will be able to reach me. I will be back later to check in."

I got out of the unit and got in mine and headed for the motor pool. I wanted to pick up my personal Jeep to make the run I wanted to make. I made it to the lot and my Jeep was sitting out in front. I parked my unit beside it and went in to get the keys from Doris. She was in her office so I went up the stairs and entered. She had a pot of coffee going so I took a cup and sat down.

"Harry, how do you get yourself in so much trouble? Here are your keys, and the owner of the Gas Mart said to tell you the color of your Jeep clashed with the color of his store. He also said to tell you that he is holding a dozen donuts with your name on them."

I had to laugh at the way she put that one at me.

"Doris, I am going to another county and I want my unit put inside and kept an eye on until I come back. Here are the keys but unless it's Mark asking, you don't have them. I have some sensitive stuff locked in the weapons box and this is the safest place I know to hide them. I don't want anyone to know it's here unless something happens to me. Then you let Mark know where it's at immediately."

"Harry, what the hell are you getting into now? You spent two months in the hospital and now it sounds like you're getting into it again. I don't want to have to come see you in the hospital again so watch your ass this time. Why don't you let me send little Jimmy with you to watch your back? You're a hero in his eyes and he would love to help you."

"I don't know who Jimmy is but this is something I plan on doing myself. I won't be in any danger and sure won't need backup. I just want to make sure that I have covered myself in case of any repercussions. I have to go, so remember what I said. I will see you later when we go through the bays."

I got up and walked out and went to my Jeep. It started on the first twist of the key and I headed for the house and my gun trunk. I went up the drive to the cabin, went inside and got into the trunk where I kept my guns. I was looking for my 10mm and the extra mags I had stashed. I finally found it and put the shoulder holster on and put the mags in my pocket. I grabbed my extra set of cuffs and looped them through my belt. Now I was going to visit Danny and have a talk with Kit about his brother-in-law and his threats. Normally I wouldn't have interfered, but this had been bugging me since Beau had told me about it. I considered Danny to be one of the family and he deserved better than he had gotten from his mother. Her relatives were not going to threaten my people and hassle one of my men for protecting his son.

I drove to the little town of Pickens, hoping I would stick out enough with my bright yellow Jeep that I would attract some attention. Not gonna happen, I thought, as I parked in front of the hospital. I got out and went inside to the reception desk. I asked the candy striper at the desk what room he was in and as I went to the elevator I saw a uniform watching me.

I took the elevator to the fourth floor and started looking for the room Danny was in. I finally found it and he was alone watching television. I walked in and sat down in the chair next to the bed. He looked at me with a surprised look on his face. He was still showing the bruises from the beating and had his right arm in a cast. I was trying to keep a rein on my temper as I looked at his injuries.

"Hello, Sheriff, what are you doing here? I didn't know you were out of the hospital."

"I been out for a while Danny. I just heard about what happened, so I thought I would drop in and see how the department's computer expert was doing. You didn't think I forgot about you, did you? I want you to get better because I might need your expertise again and you can't do me any good lying in here."

"Gee, Sheriff, I thought you were kidding when you said I was the department computer expert. I shouldn't be in here too many more days. I have to go to physical therapy when I get out but I will be back to school soon. I do my homework as dad brings it in from the school. I have kept my grades up and I am still carrying a B+ average. My uncle is causing Dad a lot of problems because he won't drop the charges against Mom. I know Dad is trying to get me transferred to the hospital by his house so he doesn't have to drive so far every day."

"I have already made the arrangements for your transfer as soon as I talk to your dad. I don't want you to worry about anything but getting better. When you get out, I want you to come into the station so we can get your ID card done. I didn't get a chance to have it done for you before. I also want to introduce you to the Sheriff while we are there. I am sure he will want to meet you since you are the youngest member of the department. I am proud of the way you assisted us during the investigation, and the crimes you uncovered on the computer. If you decide to go into law enforcement when you get older, I will help you all I can."

"Gee. That's really nice of you Sheriff. I don't really know what I want to do when I grow up but having an official ID from the department will sure make my buddies jealous. Dad will sure be proud of me."

We were interrupted by the appearance of the uniformed officer I had seen in the lobby. By Danny's reaction to his appearance I guessed this was the uncle that was giving Kit a hard time. He was about my size with the look of a heavy drinker about him. He had the red eyes and prominent blood vessels in his face from too many nights of getting drunk. His identity was confirmed as soon as he opened his mouth and the way he addressed Danny.

"Hey kid, who's your friend?"

"I don't think that's any of your business, officer. If you want to know my name, then ask me respectfully and you might get it if I feel like telling you."

"Mister, I don't know who you are but I am the law here, and if I ask you a question then you'll answer or go to jail. This little sissy is my nephew, and since you're not related, you'll have to leave."

"I don't care who you are or how you're related to him. This is a public facility and is open to anyone for visitations. I know a drunk like you is not his dad, so you have no say as to who visits him. If you don't like me being here, get his dad to order me out. Better yet why don't you leave and let us resume our conversation."

"I will leave for now, but this is my town and once you get out on the streets you come under my jurisdiction."

He left as abruptly as he showed up and I had to smile at his backing off from his bluffing. I now had the answer I was looking for and I knew when I left I would see him again. That was the meeting I was looking forward to. I would make a phone call before I left and then we would play his little game out to its conclusion.

"Sheriff, you better watch out for him. He is almost as mean as Mom's boyfriend. They used to drink at the house all the time, and Mom drank as much as they did. I always went to my room so they would forget I was there but this time I didn't move fast enough. Manny kicked me in the butt as I went by him and when I told him that he wasn't allowed to touch me, he went crazy and I ended up in here. I remember hearing Mom and my uncle cheering in the back ground. I didn't know that he was so mean and I didn't fight back because Dad always told me never to fight."

I sat and listened to him as he relived the whole thing and grew madder with every word. I couldn't believe his own mother would let someone beat up on this gentle child. Well, two were in jail, and if it worked out like I wanted it to, there would be a third spending time and would no longer be a peace officer.

"Danny you should not fight except to protect yourself. Your dad is right except for one thing he forgot to teach you. When your life is in danger, it's ok to fight back with anything you can lay your hands on. Especially if it's an adult that's attacking you."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.