Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 26

I decided I would call Tran from the cabin and explain why I wasn't coming over. I had a few hours of daylight left and I wanted to get the chains on the gates and put the signs up that I had ordered. I got her on the phone and she sounded like she was out of breath. When I asked her about it she informed me she was playing twister with the girls and losing badly. I had to laugh at the picture of a grown woman of our age trying to get into some of the different positions required for the game. She said she was sorry, but there was moo goo gai pan in the fridge for me and Mark for supper. The girls had to get on and make sure that I was ok. I told them their Dad would be stopping over, and to make sure they gave Auntie Tran a kiss for me.

After I got off the phone, I drove down to the ponds and went to the gate by the federal lands and put the chains on the gate. I walked along the fence line putting up the signs that would be in plain view of any camper on the federal side. I had already made up my mind that if I caught anyone on my side they would be immediately arrested and prosecuted. I was mounting a sign to the corner between all three boundaries when a voice on the other side broke my concentration.

"Mister, does this mean me and my dad won't be able to fish for breakfast anymore?"

I looked up, startled, and there was a little boy about ten years old, standing on the federal side. He was dressed for hiking and had a fishing pole and a small tackle box with him.

"You and your dad will have to get written permission to fish in the ponds from now on. The owner lives in that cabin up there, and if you walk along the fence there is a gate by the cabin to get in. If you want to fish, you will have to enter that way from now on."

"Is this 'cause the Ranger got killed up here? The news is all over the campground, and a lot of the campers have left. The two ponds they have for campers to fish in are all yucky with green stuff, and the fish don't bite there anymore. Me and dad always caught fish here for our breakfast and they are fun to catch. They're really big here, too."

"What kind of green stuff are you talking about?"

"Algae and moss is what dad says it is, and grows there because the ponds are stagnant all summer. Will the owner give us permission to fish here if we ask?"

"I don't see why not, if you make sure you leave it as clean as you found it. I will write you out a permission slip right now if you will give me your name."

"My name is Reggie and my dad's name is Stuart. Our last name is Edwards. Are you the owner?"

I wrote out the permission slip for him before I answered him.

"Yes, I own all of this and quite a bit more. I also am a law officer. I hope you and your dad enjoy fishing here, and don't catch them all before I get a chance to do some fishing myself."

"You don't have to worry about that, Mister. It only takes two of them to feed us since they are all so big. That first pond has some huge catfish in it. We caught one last year that weighed over thirty pounds. We had him for supper and breakfast. I'll tell dad so he can tell the other campers that fishing's not allowed here anymore with out permission."

He turned and ran off before I could inquire how many of the campers were fishing here on a regular basis. I shrugged to myself and finished with the last sign on this side. I went back to my unit and went to the other gate that separated my land from Tran's and did the same thing. I was standing and looking out at the pond when I heard a vehicle coming toward me in low gear. It sounded like a truck and I wondered why they were on Tran's land.

I was standing beside my unit when the truck came into sight. It was a heavy four wheel drive with a large camper on the back. The driver stopped and looked at the locked gate and signs. He went back to the truck and came out with a large set of bolt cutters, and I smiled to myself at the surprise he was about to receive. I wondered why he hadn't seen my unit when it dawned on me, I was parked at an angle that only let the back of my unit be seen from where he was. He obviously hadn't seen it because he would not be trying to cut the lock and failing. I was about to laugh out loud at his frustration at not being able to cut the lock when he did something completely unexpected. I watched as he walked back to his truck and tilted the seat forward and was searching for something from his digging actions. I watched as he came out of the truck with a stick of dynamite with the fuse attached. I could not believe anyone would be stupid enough to do what he was going to do. Time to put a stop to this shit, and right now. I walked down to the gate and he was concentrating so hard on what he was doing I was standing in front of him before he knew anyone else was around.

"Mister, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're under arrest. Now put your hands up."

I startled him so bad he dropped the dynamite on the ground and squealed out in fright.

"Who are you and what do you mean I'm under arrest? I ain't did nothin."

I pulled my gun because I didn't like what he was doing with his right hand as he talked to me in obvious fright. I pointed it at him and his arms went straight up, and that's when I saw the grip of a pistol in his belt on the right side. I kept my gun pointed at him and unlocked the gate.

"You keep your hands right where they're at, Mister. If you even twitch I will shoot you where you stand. I am Undersheriff Hanson."

I went behind him and pulled the gun from his waistband. It was a stainless .357 and was a nice weapon. I stuck it behind my back and holstered mine. I cuffed him and then searched him. He had a hunting knife on his belt and I threw it to the side. I pulled his wallet from his pocket and opened it. He was from Reno and carried an Aryan Brotherhood card in his wallet. I didn't say anything but walked him over to my unit.

"This is unit two to dispatch."

"Go ahead, two."

"I have a code 40 under arrest and need someone to transport. Have them come in a four wheel through the cabin entrance."

"Roger two, one is en route as we speak. I have four on the way to transport. Do you need anything else?"

"No dispatch, that is all for right now. Two out."

I knew Mark was one but who the hell was four? I guess I would have to wait and see who showed up. I saw Mark coming from the cabin and he wasn't wasting any time, even if the trail was rough. He slid to a stop about ten feet from my unit and hopped out.

"Who the hell is this guy?"

I told him and had him hold the prisoner. I went back and got the dynamite he had dropped. I carefully pulled the cap out of the end of the stick and laid it on top of the fence post. I walked back to Mark and I thought he was going to shit when he saw what was in my hand.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.