Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 25

"Technically I am not allowed to let you go to work, but since you have all the other commissions and your federal carry permit, I don't see the harm in letting you nose around a little to see what you can find out."

"I want to pick up my marked unit from the motor pool and I want someone to call State and find out where the hell is my M-16 they were supposed to return to me two months ago. In one of the units is some chain and locks for my gates and extra mags for my 16. I don't suppose they are in the evidence room are they, Shorty?"

"I have all your stuff locked up and no, I haven't found anyone I can trust to take it over. I am doing double duty with that situation and Beau refused to open the safe there without your permission. He says only you have the combination and you have important evidence locked up in there."

"Shit, that's right! I have all the copies on disk of what was on the computer from Trent's and some other stuff I didn't want the FEEBS to get their hands on. There is also a matter of a little over two million dollars that belongs to the department that I take it hasn't been returned. The judication of those cases is almost over so we should have had the money back. Come on, Shorty, and get my stuff and let me pick up my unit. I will take a ride and have a talk with Agent Hadley."

While Shorty was getting my things from the cage, I called the lab and asked for a supervisor. When I finally got to talk one, I told him who I was and why I was calling. He told me to hold a sec and he would talk to the lab and find out about my rifle. I was on hold about three minutes and he came back on and said since my weapon had been full auto it had been destroyed. I went off on him ordering him to give me the State Commander immediately. I was put on hold for about five minutes and then a secretary came on telling me he was in a meeting and I would have to call back tomorrow. I told her bullshit, and if she didn't put me through I was going to come up there personally and arrest him for destroying private property, mainly mine. She hung up on me. Bad mistake on her part since I had the rank, with them, of senior commander for life bestowed by the governor of the state.

I decided I was going to be an asshole and find out if the rank meant anything or was just a gesture to make him look good in front of the voters. Mark was laughing like hell, trying to be quiet about it and I glared at him. I didn't think it was funny at all and I was pissed about the situation. Imagine some damn desk jockey ordering my rifle destroyed without doing any kind of check to see if I was legal to own it. I had to get my temper under control 'cause I was starting to get a headache and I didn't need that right now. What I really needed was a cup of coffee and, as usual, there wasn't any in Mark's office. I would have to go to the radio room for it. Oh well, I might as well get it over with.

I kind of knew what was going to happen, but I was still unprepared for it when it happened. I walked up the hall and as soon as I stepped in the door, everyone who was not on the phone immediately stood up and started clapping. Amid the shouts of welcome back, and all the other confusion, I was able to grab a cup and escape before I was engaged in conversation. I waved my hand in the air as I exited. Jeesh, the way they acted you would think I had died and came back to life or something. I walked back into Mark's office and he and Shorty were laughing, so I flipped them the bird before I sat back down by the phone. They were laughing their asses off at my actions. I was still pissed, but the headache had eased off. I took a pill and got on the phone, hearing Mark tell Shorty to listen to this because he was about to hear a master of ass chewing at work. I flipped them the bird again while the phone was ringing. The main switchboard answered and I identified myself, asking to speak to the governor. I was immediately put through to my surprise.

"Hello, Harry, what can I do for you today? By the way you are welcome to stop in at any time to talk to me, or the attorney general and we will see you in person."

I immediately got to the subject and he was as pissed as I was, from the tone of his voice.

"Give me five minutes and I guarantee you will not only get an apology, but your weapon replaced by one of the brand new tactical M-16's."

He hung up and Mark had to put his two cents worth into the whole thing.

"Gee Harry, you going to run for office? If you are, you need to practice being a little more long winded with your speeches."

They both cracked up again but I didn't think it was very funny, especially since Mark knew I hated politicians of any kind.

"You know how I feel about those people, and since you will be running for office, you could be put in the same classification as they are with me, my friend."

The smiles disappeared immediately, but he couldn't resist the last barb at me.

"Well that's true, but remember you will have a new boss if I don't get reelected for the next term."

I looked at him and smiled nastily and said; "He might not be a big pain in the ass like you are sometimes."

He glared at me and we both busted up laughing. Shorty looked totally lost with that remark but before I could explain, the phone in front of me rang. I purposely let it ring several times before I answered it.

"Porter County Sheriff's office, how can I direct your call please?"

I heard sniggering from the two of them again as I waited for the secretary that had hung up on me to finish her spiel, and I hung up on her when she was done. The two clowns in the office thought this was hilarious, and were mimicking my voice with high pitched girlish tones when the phone rang again.

I answered the phone in an almost perfect imitation of Mark's voice and even identified myself as him. I was asked if a Harry Hanson was available to talk to the State Commander of the State Police.

I answered in Mark's voice again, telling her that he was on his way up there to make an arrest and was out of radio contact. I hung up the phone after telling her I had to go, there were more pressing matters that I had to handle.

"Harry, that was a dirty trick to pull. I can't believe you used my voice to do it. Man, I can just see it the next time I have to call up there for any reason. I will be put on hold forever. Hey, how did you learn to mimic my voice so well? How many other times have you done that? Hey, now I remember. I got my ass chewed for letting one of my men have a bachelor party that I was supposed to have ok'd at the station squad room. I remember because I never did such a thing. It was against department rules to have private parties for any reason at the department."

"Well it was his retirement party and we got a stripper for him free, and couldn't find a place to rent. We had a great time. Too bad you were at a law enforcement conference in another state where your supervisor couldn't reach you."

"Harry, it took a year for me to get that letter of reprimand taken off my record."

I busted up laughing at the look of total dismay on his face at the little joke I had pulled on him.

"Hey, all the guys thought you were the greatest thing that had ever hit the department. They drank at least three toasts to your leadership abilities."

I watched Shorty's face getting redder and redder from trying to hold back the laughter. The last statement was the breaker and he totally lost it. He laughed until I thought he was going to pass out. Mark didn't think it was very funny, until he glared at me and I winked at him, at the same time pursing my lips in a kissing pucker. He smiled and shook his head in a disgusted manner before laughing softly to himself.

"Ok you two, this little clown patrol is over. I have work to do. Both of you get out of here and get back to work."

I grabbed the chains and the lock packages, letting Shorty grab the extra mags and we went out of Mark's office, closing the door behind us.

"Harry, I have had more fun and laughter serving with you than I did in the service. You and Mark are really close aren't you?"

"Yea Shorty, we have a long friendship and history together. I would tell you the story, but it's not my place to do that. When you get to know him better maybe he will tell you about it. Until then, let's get my unit from the motor pool."

We went down the front steps and a chopper flew over and landed beside ours on the pad. I watched as a State Trooper climbed out of it carrying a rifle case. He walked over to us and spoke to me.

"Do you know where I can find Sheriff Harry Hanson? I have a gift for him from the Air Wing of the State Police."

"I am he, how can I help you, Trooper?"

He handed me the case he was holding, stood at attention and saluted me.

"I am one of the Troopers that you saved when we were flying the night you busted the gun runners. We all got together and got this rifle for you as a token of our appreciation. If not for you we might not have gotten to see our kids at the end of the shift. I told you that we owed you and if you ever need our services, you call this number and we will be there at any time, Harry. The command doesn't know we're here, so I have to go."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.