Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 22

I woke up and there was a beautiful oriental woman sitting in the chair next to my bed. Damn, it was Tran. What the hell was she doing here and in my room? When she saw my eyes open she ran out of the room. I looked around and realized I was in a hospital. Damn but my head hurt. Within a few minutes, two little girls came running in and climbed into my bed with me, and I got all kinds of hugs and kisses from them. Now this was the kind of healing I could get used to.

"Uncle Harry, you look like a raccoon. Yeah like the one that comes out of the woods at the house, but his eyes are black and yours are yellow. Are you coming home pretty soon? Auntie Tran says you will be better soon now that you're awake."

Mark came in and told the girls to wait outside while he talked to me. Tran came in and I just glared at her until she left. Mark and I talked for a little while and he said he had to get the girls to the house and would stop back tomorrow. Shorty came in next and sat down looking at me.

"Harry, you look like hell. I bet those are the yellowest eyes I have ever seen."

"Shorty, how long have I been here. Seems like a long time except for the fact that I feel like shit and still have a headache."

"Harry, you almost died from the swelling of the brain. We had no next of kin listed so they wouldn't operate, just kept you packed in ice as the swelling went down. Hubba wasn't so lucky. He died on the way to the hospital and it was listed as accidental due to resisting arrest. He bled to death because a shattered rib pierced his heart. Beau opened both safes and the one at Trent's house had a complete list of the bodies and where they came from. Most all of them have been identified and buried by relatives. You know every man on the force has been here at one time or another checking on your condition. The guards on the door are all volunteers and none would take a cent for doing it."

"We got Doris off with five years non check probation. The prosecutor and the new judge went to bat for her at the federal court in Reno. She was released to your custody and is back running the motor pool like you wanted. She says she owes you her life and will take care of the fleet or die trying."

"How damn long have I been in here Shorty?"

"You have been out of it for sixty seven days, Harry. All of it packed in ice and in a drug induced coma. I know you are a hard head, but that woman sitting out there crying her eyes out has been in this chair holding your hand almost the whole time. The only time she ever left was to go home and change and come back. Those two little girls love her to death and have adopted her as their Auntie Tran. She has been taking care of them for the sheriff and according to him, they have never been happier with anyone other than you. I know you don't want to hear it but she loves you a lot more than you deserve boss."

"Shorty, I know she is beautiful but her past does not lead to a trusting relationship. I will be taking care of the girls when I get out of here. We have a fishing date with some big trout. I have to turn my badge in and go home to my cabin where I belong."

He looked at me and went out the door, laughing his head off. I heard one of the nurses tell him to hold it down. Tran came back in and sat in the chair looking at me.

"Why are you here Tran? Haven't you spent enough time away from your business? The girls will be back with me once I get out of here so you can run your restaurant."

"Harry, will you please shut up for a while and let me speak. I know I have made fun of you for years but I need to tell you the whole story. Do you remember when the Mirage burned down? My husband was there gambling and died in the fire. I was alone and the only work I could find to feed myself was the Madam of the ranch. After the life insurance and lawsuits I was a rich woman. I stayed on there because I wanted to make sure the girls weren't mistreated or beaten. I never sold myself or was with any man other than my husband. When you and Monk started coming in I fell in love with you almost immediately. Monk and Judy are married and have three kids and I am their godmother. He runs the security for a casino in Vegas where they live with the kids and very happy. I made fun of you because every time I got around you I got so nervous I had to do something to cover it up. That was the only way I kept myself from being a fool in everyone eyes. Judy was the only one that knew and she never even told Monk. I will leave but please don't take the girls away from me because I love them like they are my own."

"Tran?"

"Yes Harry."

"Why don't you shut your pie hole and kiss me."

She did and man could that woman ever kiss. I had cramps in my toes by the time she was done. We talked for about two hours and we both decided to see each other and take it day by day and see how it turned out. I did however make it clear that I and the girls would be going fishing on a regular basis. I was in turn informed that she wanted to be included because she loved trout fresh caught and cooked. I sent her home and told her to get a good night's sleep and I would see her tomorrow. She wanted to know how soon I was going back to work and I told her my days of carrying a badge were over and I was retired again.

She walked out of the door laughing almost as much and loud as Shorty did when he left. I heard a nurse tell her to hold it down there were sick people here. I heard her tell the nurse yeah and she had just left his room. Now what the hell was the joke here? Two people laughing like that so what was I missing in all this? I must have dozed off because when I woke, Doris was sitting in the chair next to the bed. I got a drink of water and asked her what she wanted here.

"I came to thank you for interceding for me. I wanted to thank you in person for the help. I didn't figure I had any friends anywhere. My daughter passed the bar for Nevada and is going to start her practice here. This is all because of you and the arrest of Hub or should I say his death. Why did you take such a chance because of a sorry person like me Harry?"

"It wasn't just for you, Doris. It was for everyone he hurt over the years with his dad's help. You and your daughter were just the catalyst that set it all off. I still find it hard to believe you and she went through all that and are still nice people. I don't know your daughter, but for her to go on and graduate with straight A's makes her special in my book. I hate bullies and their kind so it didn't take much of an excuse for me to go after him."

"Harry, I promise you I will have the best garage for you and Mark. I have already made several changes that you wanted and the wrecker is painted and ready to go. We have already made three thousand dollars with it just locally. I have fifteen units ready for auction and they are in excellent running condition so they will make money for the department. Your personal Jeep has been completely redone from top to bottom by the employees at the shop. It has been rebuilt and painted and a few extras added for your convenience. There was no county money used in doing it. You hurry up and get well and I will see you again."

She got up and left me with several questions that I wouldn't get answers for until I got out of here. I got up and had a little dizziness but it passed so I went to the shower and took a nice shower and put the pajama pants on that Tran had left for me at sometime or other. The top was way too small but the bottoms fit fine. There were also slippers so I decided to take a little walk. I had forgotten about the deputy outside the room and he almost had a heart attack when I walked out of the room.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.