Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 21

We went back to the station and I called all the remaining men into the office. I closed the door and told Shorty and Beau to check the office. They started checking and when Bob saw what they were doing he told them to leave it to him. He dug into the bag at his feet and pulled out a small box which he flipped the switch on and it started beeping.

I recognized it immediately as a modern sniffer and knew it had only been out for federal use for a year. I watched as he went around the office and it only went off once and it was a weak signal. I waited until he was done and took the small directional bug from him.

"That thing is really old, Harry, and isn't working anymore. I will tell you that the room is clean and I guarantee it."

"Thanks Bob. I am not going to ask where you were able to lay your hands on that thing, but keep it out of sight unless we need it. You have just earned the promotion and you will make a hell of a forensics man when you get going."

"All right gentlemen, this is what's going to happen this afternoon. We are going, or should I say I am going after Hubba. I don't know about all of you, but after what I heard this morning he is mine. I want to make this very clear to all of you. I am not planning on taking him in if he resists arrest. None of you are to interfere in any way if you decide to go with me. You men are the core of this department and if you don't think you can handle what's going to happen, then don't go. All of you know he won't come in quietly and this is what I am counting on. Bob, I want you to take a marked unit and go in and check the place out and let me know where he's at and where his cronies are. They all know you so it shouldn't bother them with you coming in like you're on patrol."

"Shorty, Beau, if you're going, then come in through the back and cover the cronies when Hubba and I get into it. Both of you have unmarkeds so you should be able to come in through the alleys behind the casino. Remember, none of you are to interfere regardless of what happens. I want this made very clear and I will also make it an order."

"Are you sure you want to try to take him by yourself, Harry? I know this man and he is an animal and has hurt a lot of people over the years. He has never used a weapon, just his hands and feet. No offense, Harry, but you're getting up in years and he is a young man."

"Shorty, I have a few advantages he doesn't know about and this won't be the first time I have done this on my own. He deserves what's going to happen to him and I will be the one who takes him down. All of you heard what he did to Doris and her daughter, so how many more has he done this to we don't know about?"

"Shorty, I want her released if I don't come back for some reason. She doesn't deserve to be locked up after what she's been through. Get her off on probation and put her back in charge of the motor pool. I want your word you will make this happen even if we have to drop the charges for lack of evidence. Remember, you do not interfere for any reason, just keep my back clear. Let's go, fellas, and Bob will go in first and do the scouting. We will be using channel 4 like always"

I watched as they filed out to go take up their positions. I sat and thought about what he had done to so many people over the years because he was protected by his daddy's badge and position. Oh well, time to go, I thought to myself as I locked the office door and headed for my unit. I had one of the unmarkeds for use till mine was fixed again and I took my shoulder holster off and locked it and the extra mags in the trunk. That left me with only my cuffs and I had a use for them. I climbed behind the wheel and headed for the gulch. It took about fifteen minutes for me to reach the main street and sitting in the car, I could see the casino Hubba was in. I noticed Bob's unit sitting out front and waited for him to come back out and give his report to me before I moved in. I got the call from him as he was standing next to his unit.

"Harry, he is sitting by himself to your right as you go in. His friends are at the bar on the other side of the room. Shorty and Beau are in the kitchen watching his friends. I will come in behind you so I can watch your back and the stairs to the left of the door. Whenever your ready, my friend."

"Remember Bob stay out of it regardless of what happens to me."

I drove down the street and pulled up in front of the casino and shut off my unit. I got out and went to the open door and stepped inside moving quickly to the side so my eyes could adjust to the dimmer light. I looked around as I waited and saw the man I was looking for sitting by himself in the corner and he was a big fella alright. Well now was as good a time as any. I walked over to him and sat down in the chair across from him.

"Hello Hubba, I am the new sheriff and I have come to arrest you for attempted murder of a law enforcement officer."

"You can't arrest me 'cause I am a deputy too."

"I revoked yours and all your friends' badges so you are no longer a deputy. Stand up please and put your hands behind you."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.