Shamus Journals
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

By the time I had driven back home, it was almost dark. The traffic was pretty light so it didn't take as long as usual. I walked up on the porch and immediately noticed that the motion sensor security light didn't come on. I reached back and drew my Sig Nine. I dropped to a crouch and looked around. I didn't see any movement so I went around the house, checking the windows and the back door. All of them were securely locked and I didn't see any signs of anyone trying to get in. This was damned strange, but I couldn't find any reason to be more spooked than what I already was. I had a sudden thought and went around to the shed. I found that the lock was broken off and the hasp was bent sideways. I got the phone out and called Mark's number. I told him what I had found, and he said to stay put. He said he had a car close by and it would be there in a minute or two.

I went around to the front and sat on the step. In about five minutes, a cruiser pulled in and pinned me with his spotlight. I gave whoever it was the bird as he pulled up. It was one of the Corporals I knew and he was laughing.

"Damn, Harry, you never change, do you. We got word this afternoon that the State Police made an arrest in Charley's death. I also heard that a Trooper was showing pictures around of a bright yellow car that was supposed to be extinct. He was bragging that the sighting of the yellow fellow was the first in years."

"Well, not every one has the choice of color for their car. Let's get down to business. Let's check out my shed and see if my riding mower is missing."

He was laughing as we walked to the back. I stopped and grabbed my light from ole yeller. Hell, now I was doing it too. I just dropped my head in shame and went to the shed where the deputy was already opening the door. I noticed that he had donned rubber gloves, so I just kept my hands to myself. He called out that my mower was still there, but obviously I had been making money on the side.

"What are you talking about? The only thing that has ever been the shed was the mower, gas and oil. I don't even own a rake or other lawn instrument."

He backed out, holding a big plastic bag with what looked like white powder in it. I immediately knew this was a plant, and wondered who would be willing to sacrifice that much money to get me locked up. They hadn't done their homework and checked my background if they thought this was going to work.

"Harry, I don't know who would be dumb enough to set this up, but I think you came back and interrupted them. I already called for the print truck to come out, and they should be here in a few minutes. Have you been in the house yet?"

"No but I am going in now and put the coffee pot on. The alarm is set and you know what kind of alarm I have. You might have the print guy check the motion lights, because I think they unscrewed the bulb."

"Ok, Harry, go put the coffee on. When they get here we will have a cup and talk a little bit about this. I still have to test this stuff and have the outside of the bag dusted. This represents a lot of money and this whole thing smells all wrong. Someone's going to a lot of trouble on this for some reason. I called Mark, and boy is he pissed. I will have the grounds thoroughly searched by one of the dogs, just in case there's more hidden."

I nodded my agreement and went and unlocked the door. I turned the porch light on and went in the house. The alarm panel showed green across the board, so I punched in the code to shut it down. I went to the kitchen and put the big electric pot to work making coffee, 'cause I knew this was going to be a long night. I was changing clothes when I heard the truck coming into the yard, but I didn't hurry up with what I was doing. I knew the drill and it would be at least an hour before any of them slowed down enough for coffee. I finished dressing and went to the kitchen. I got out the big Styrofoam cups from the cupboard and set up sugar and milk on the table for the guys.

I sat down at the table and thought about this. The only thing I could come up with was those damned attorneys. This was something they would try, figuring that they could get the property while I was in jail. Again, they hadn't done any research on me, or they would know I had a good friend that owned a bail bonding company, who would have me out as fast as I was locked up. This was a bunch of amateurs, and I had a feeling they were going to try again. Tomorrow before I left, I would call an attorney that I knew and let him take over. He was a shark and connected. He would eat these punks alive and spit out their boss. I had saved him from prison when he was accused of raping a young woman. I got her on tape bragging to her boyfriend that they would make a lot of money because the attorney would pay to keep out of jail. It turned out they had set it all up for the money. He had told me to call him anytime I needed help for any reason, so I figured it was time to call him in on these punks. I went to the front room and got the card with his home number. Being only shortly after nine, he should be still up. He answered on the first ring, and after exchanging pleasantries, I filled him in on what was going on. He got pissed on the phone, so I gave him all the information I had. He said he knew the owner of the firm personally, and would call him right away and give him hell. We shot the breeze for a few minutes more, then I turned him loose with his promise he would get the two punks in deep doo.

I went back to the kitchen and sat down and had a cup of the coffee while there was still some left. I heard steps on the porch and Mark came in and sat down across from me at the table.

"Harry, it looks like these guys are playing for keeps. There were finger prints all over the bag and the lights. We got a complete hand print on the mower where he leaned over to plant the bag. We identified two sets of prints and one of them is a local junkie and the other is unknown. Do you really think this is all about your two lots?"

"Mark, none of this started 'till I turned down all their offers. They have bought the whole block back to the interstate exit. Now that ought to tell you that they have spent millions already. My two little lots control the access to two different exits going in different directions. Just that alone is worth millions to them for traffic control. These guys are playing for high stakes, and this type of harassment has worked in the past here in Florida and other high money areas."

I filled him in off the record on who I had turned loose on them and he had a good belly laugh on that one. He never asked how I knew him, and with that my respect for Mark went up that much more. Since I had to catch the plane in the morning and he didn't pick up the girls till the evening, he said he would take me to the airport in his unmarked. With that, the other members of the team came in and emptied the coffee pot in a matter of about fifteen minutes. They all stood around telling tales for another couple of hours, 'till another call came in. Just that quick the whole place was silent. I cleaned up, remembering the happy times I did the same thing for a living. I locked the doors, set the alarm for occupied, and went to bed.

I got to sleep the whole night through and got up with that damned crow practicing opera on my front porch. I went to the kitchen, set the coffee pot, and went to the shower. I got dressed, packed my bag, and set it on the couch. I went to the alarm and turned it off before Mark came to get me. I sat at the table and drank my coffee, and thought about the property I was going to look at. I just hoped that it looked the same in person as in the pictures I had seen. I had dreamed about it last night, and I wanted to move out of Florida. With the death of Charley, I didn't have anyone to hold me back. I had a lot of friends, but they had their own lives. Other than a few parties, I wasn't that close to any of them. I would miss Mark, and his girls I would miss a lot since they had always called me their uncle. I had some brothers somewhere, but I hadn't seen any of them in years. I didn't even know where they lived anymore.

I had cleaned up after myself when I heard a horn out front. Looking out, I saw Mark pulling up to the porch. I made sure everything was turned off, set the alarm, and locked the door before I went to the car. The ride to the airport went by pretty quick because Mark was telling me all about the lakes and the beautiful country that I was going to see. He probably thought it would discourage me, but it seemed to have the opposite effect. Now I was really looking forward to the trip more than ever. When we got to the airport, he parked in front of the terminal and dropped the law enforcement placard in the window. I checked at the counter and found the flight was early. Mark walked me to the gate and said to call when I got back and he would give me a ride home. We shook hands and I boarded the plane.

To my chagrin, I fell asleep right after takeoff and slept until the stewardess woke me to fasten my seat belt. I was looking at the big metropolis of Reno, Nevada, one of the smaller sin capitals of the west. The airport was easy to find your way around in, and since I only had my carry on, I went straight through to the rental agency. I had reserved a four-wheel drive Jeep as per Abe's instructions. It took longer to sign the papers than it took to walk through the airport since I was smart enough to get every coverage I could. I think the girl doing the paperwork was mentally challenged a little, because I had to help her do a lot of the spelling on the forms.

Finally we were done and I got a big surprise when I found the Jeep. It was a bright yellow with a black stripe down the middle, just like my Yugo. I was starting to think I had a yellow curse. It started right up and I headed out, using the directions Abe had given me. I drove for an hour and just like he said, county road ten sign came up and I turned right. I was supposed to go three miles down this road and he would be sitting in the driveway waiting on me. I went three miles and saw a man sitting in an almost hidden road that looked like it went up the side of the mountain. I pulled up, got out, and went over and introduced myself, asking if he was Abe?

"Yep, that's my name, so I take it you're Harry?"

"Abe, I have been looking forward to this all week."

"Harry, you better lock it into four-wheel, because you will need it for the last half mile of the road. That's why most people don't like it. It isn't paved and landscaped up to the house."

I followed and he was right, the last half mile was a rugged off road trail. The Jeep he was driving ate the ground like it was part of it. The one I was driving was making it, but it was earning the money I paid for its use. We went around a little bend and there sat the cabin. It took my breath away and I hadn't even been inside yet. I got out of the Jeep and followed Abe into the house. I just looked around and asked several questions about the deeds and how the land was laid out. He took me to a table and unrolled an aerial map. The property line was marked out and it matched the deed perfectly. There were two lakes fed by snow melt, and according to him, the trout were huge. I looked closely at the map and pointed to a dark area way south of his property line. I asked him what that was and his reply made me take notice real quick.

"I won't lie, Harry. That is an old chemical plant that used to be operated by the military. It's been closed for about ten years. They still keep a skeleton staff for security and there is a rumor that they still use it for storage. So what do you think of the place?"

"I love it Abe, but you never answered the question I asked you the other day. Why do you want to sell?"

"Harry, I fell in love with a special woman. She owns a small sheep ranch on the other side of Reno. We want to marry and expand the ranch, but the banks won't loan us any money without using our places as collateral. We don't want to owe anyone, so we flipped a coin and I lost. That's why I am selling."

"Abe, I congratulate you on your honesty and I will buy it. I want to buy the other thirty acres on the other side too. I will give you a fair price for the whole thing. That should give you and your bride a good start on your sheep ranch. We can go to town tomorrow and have the money transferred to your account, and get all the papers signed and recorded."

He got a big smile and shook my hand, and said I hadn't seen all the deal yet. He took me through the house to the big wall freezer and showed me a hidden lever. He pulled it and grabbed the freezer and it swung out from the wall to reveal what looked like a ships bulkhead door. He pulled the cross lever and it came open with a hiss. He reached inside for the light switch and flipped it on. I followed behind him as he went inside.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.