The Homestanders
Chapter 32

©2005, 2011

Thursday, June 22, 2000

The decision back around Christmas to visit Eve and John as part of the great bike trip eastward had done much to shape the overall trip. Emily and Vicky still had a lot of curiosity about their little blonde classmate. Though they hadn't seen her since the 1998 Halloween party, Emily had frequently talked to her on the phone as had Vicky occasionally, so on top of the curiosity there was building a genuine warmth that had seemed to heal some of the scars of the past.

After some discussion and several phone calls it was decided to make the trip the last full week of June, which led into the July 4 holiday weekend. That would tack a couple extra days onto the end of the trip at the expense of having to deal with heavy holiday weekend traffic on the last leg. The only fly in the ointment at that time seemed to be Kevin's getting off work -- Macy Controls had a reputation for asking their people to work a lot of overtime, often at the expense of getting off for legitimate vacations. As a result, Kevin had a huge slug of vacation time coming that he rarely got a chance to use, but the frustration was tempered by the extra money, which he and Emily were using to pay down their mortgage.

But, July 4 was a Tuesday, and it seemed likely he'd be asked to work Monday. If he couldn't manage to get the day off, it had been decided he'd break off from the trip a little early and ride home solo so he could work that day. Since Kevin had sat through Eve's long telling of her story following the reunion, he was no less curious about her than anyone else, and really wanted to make that part of the trip. The July 4 weekend worked better for Eve; though she'd been trying to dial it down heavily in recent months, she still frequently had to travel for conferences and seminars, but that weekend was free. With that much worked out, it was decided to make the visit to Eve and John's on the Saturday and Sunday before the Fourth, roughly at the end of the trip, rather than the beginning as had been previously considered. That would give Kevin at least some time at the McClellans if he had to ride back to Bradford early, and would give the rest of them an extra day and the chance to head back on back roads rather than the heavy traffic of the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpikes.

In the beginning, the plan had been to do the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive along with the messing around in Pennsylvania. A quick check of the map showed they were talking something well over two thousand miles to cover in only eleven days, which wasn't impossible. Emily and Kevin had done a longer trip to the Black Hills the past summer in even less time, but they'd spent several long days with a lot of miles on the bikes. They reported that after a few hours it had become less than a total thrill.

When it had appeared Duane was going to be running rafts in North Carolina in the summer, they had more or less planned to stop at NOC for a day so Emily and Kevin could do a raft trip on the Nantahala while Jason spent some time with his son. With Duane a couple thousand miles to the west, that became a somewhat lower priority. There was no good way to cut a corner on the trip. After some discussion it was decided to leave as early after work as possible on Friday and take advantage of the long evening to get some miles on, then push on hard the next day with the intention of at least riding through the Smokies on Saturday. That would allow them some time to do some side trips and check things out -- and the whitewater rafting was still a possibility on the agenda. With all that worked out, they could make motel and campground reservations where needed; the first night out they planned on stopping south of Dayton at a motel in order to not have to camp the first night out on their southbound leg of the trip.

There was plenty of other planning that had to be carried out. Kevin's big Electra-Glide Classic was the only bike of the four that was a true touring bike, fitted with saddlebags, a full sissy bar and a luggage trunk. When he and Emily had made the trip to Sturgis the previous year he'd had to carry a much bigger share of the load, and that was going to be even more true on this trip. Motorcycles just don't have a lot of luggage capacity, and it's especially true for the smaller "sport" models like the Sportsters the other three rode. The only way they could alleviate this was to try to cut the luggage down to a bare minimum, something not easily done since they planned to camp at least part of the time. It was more fun, all of them thought, in spite of the need for the extra gear. So, after a lot of agonizing and thinking it out, they were loaded rather more like backpackers than campers.

Among other things, Kevin and Emily were again going to use Duane's Appalachian Trail veteran tent and the ultralight down sleeping bag he'd carried. He hadn't taken the gear west with him in the Jeep when he'd headed to Arizona back in March. After more thinking about it than should have been necessary, Jason rationalized that this wasn't going to be the last time they were going to be making a trip like this, even the last time this summer. So, he decided to order a slightly larger backpacking tent and another couple of the ultralight down sleeping bags; Kevin and Emily decided to order some at the same time for themselves. Several other pieces of Duane's AT gear also got pressed into service, including the lightweight alcohol stove he'd used for much of the summer. It really wasn't big enough to do all the cooking for the four of them, but they could have coffee, eat cold stuff, and stop along the way for food.

When they got together to finalize the packing of the bikes the night before the trip, they discovered that, by paring stuff to the minimum and loading more compact gear, the bikes were even less heavily loaded than Kevin and Emily had ridden to South Dakota. By the time they finished up, the summer sun was getting low in the sky, and all four bikes were ready for a fast getaway after work the next day. Kevin and Emily would ride theirs home, to be met there by Jason and Vicky the next day.

Finally, when there wasn't much to do but to give in to the nervous urge to fiddle with things that had already been fiddled with fifteen times before, the four of them headed out to the lawn chairs in Jason's back yard.

"So, Kevin," Jason asked as they settled in with cold drinks in their hands, "Did you manage to work out getting off a week from Monday?"

"Oh, yeah," he said, "No problem. Just in the last few days they've totally changed direction. Probably not much overtime for a while, and they're urging everyone to catch up on vacation time. I can't figure it out."

"I can," Vicky sighed. "I mean, it's not official, but that window crank job is getting transferred to Alabama. At least, that's what I overheard in the office."

"Jeez, another job going out the door," Kevin shook his head. "That's not good news. We've had that one as long as I've worked there. When does this come down?"

"I'm not real sure," Vicky shook her head. "In the next few days, I guess. There was talk of getting movers in, so I guess they're talking machines and all."

"Well, at least it's Hackleburg and not freaking Mexico," Kevin snorted. "Typical damn Macy mushroom management. Keep the employees in the dark and feed 'em shit. That's the third major job we've lost since Ferriday took over. If those damn hillbillies down in Alabama would vote in a union, we wouldn't be losing all the work to them."

"I haven't heard it said in so many words, but that's what seems to be happening," Vicky said. "They can get by paying less down there, so this bunch is going to save every nickel they can."

"That is a bunch of shit," Kevin shook his head. "We just about gave them the freaking ranch in the last contract to keep the work here, and you see how much their word is worth."

"In the old days, Macy was a pretty good deal," Emily nodded. "But this Ferriday crowd doesn't have any interest in the community at all. Jack was saying down at the city office that he can't even get an executive on the phone, and Lloyd has just given up on getting them to do any community service advertising. He can't get anyone on the phone and they won't return calls."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.