Antagonists - Cover

Antagonists

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 12

New Year's Eve had fallen on a Thursday so Gina had a long weekend before going back to work on Monday. Dan still had another two weeks before term started.

Dan drifted into the kitchen on New Year's Day at about half past eight in a dressing gown. He was not hung over but had not slept well. Molly was up and dressed.

"Good morning, Dan darling," she said. "Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year, my darling Mum," replied Dan with a hug.

"Was last night fun?"

"Great fun. The Winstons are special people."

"I think so. What do you want for breakfast?"

Dan thought. In many ways he fancied the works but then reflected that much of last night's dinner was still sitting there. Even cereal would be too much.

"Just toast and marmalade, I think, Mum, thank you."

"OK. You get on with it. I'll deal with the coffee."

Dan had just sat down with his toast when Gina came in, also in a dressing gown. She put her arms round Dan from behind and kissed his cheek.

"Happy New Year again, Dan," she said.

Dan turned his head and looked up at her. Their eyes met: wide eyes, soft eyes.

"Happy New Year, Gina."

She could have pulled away but there was just a lingered moment. Neither was aware of it. Molly was.

"Oh my!" she thought. "Oh my!"

"Happy New Year, Gina," she said.

"Happy New Year, Mum." Gina went over and kissed her.

"Mum?" asked Molly in disbelief.

"Yes, Mum, because that's what you are. You're my New Year resolution."

Molly's eyes filled with tears. She pulled Gina back into her arms. "Thank you, darling."

Dan felt a lump in his throat and moved over to them. He said nothing but just enveloped them both in a hug.

"That," he said in the end, "has made my day and year."

"Mine too," said Molly.

Gina looked at Dan and smiled. Dan tightened his arm round her. Again their eyes engaged.

Dan was the first to look away. "So what's the plan for today?" he asked.

"New Year's Day or not," said Molly, "I'm on at the hospital from eleven till three so would you, either or both, walk the dogs?"

"Yes," said Gina, "and I'll cook supper."

"Thanks, Gina sweetie. It's all in stew which just needs heating up but you'll need to do a few spuds."

"No prob."

Molly smiled gratefully.

"Right, brother," said Gina. "You'd better get your act together and get dressed. I've still got some coffee to finish so off you go and don't hang about in the bathroom."

Dan looked at her in mild surprise to be answered with a warm, smile.

"Yes, miss," he said and went off obediently.

He was now in a total mental muddle. Gina was being completely un-Ginalike: gentle and loving to both him and Molly. Where had the sharpness, the asperity and impatience gone? It had gone yesterday evening when she had danced cheek to cheek and kissed him so sweetly. He had loved that and the feel of her in his arms. Perhaps she had at last become the sister he had hoped for. There was more though. Sisters didn't cling to you like that. Nor did brothers. He shuddered. This was not right. It was incestuous. He must put a stop to it. Today.

When he arrived downstairs again the place was deserted. Molly had left for the hospital and Gina had gone upstairs. Dan decided on another mug of coffee. He leafed through the newspaper. There was little of any import. He turned to the puzzles.

Gina bounced in wearing jeans and a sloppy tee-shirt. Her hair was screwed up behind her head. He still thought she looked beautiful.

"Ready to walk the dogs?" she asked.

"Give me five to finish this Su Doku."

"'Kay."

She plonked herself down opposite him at the kitchen table but unlike her normal self she kept still and silent. She waited for him.

Dan finished. "Done!" he said smiling triumphantly.

"Good for you. Where are we going to take these animals?"

"Why don't we go a bit further afield than usual? Start from the pub at Everleigh, walk on the Plain and come back for one of their yummy baguettes?"

"Good thinking, Daniel."

The journey there was as silent as the journey home the previous night other than being punctuated by Djamila's whines of excited expectation and Tilly hurling abuse at passing white vans. Dan and Gina were once again preoccupied by the intense emotions running through them.

Dan parked in the pub car park and put the dogs on leads for the fifty yards of road. He released them at the end. Djamila ran quarter of a mile flat out, turned in a wide circle and came racing back her eyes alive with joy. Tilly managed fifty yards before finding an interesting smell.

Gina slipped her hand into Dan's and he held it gently but firmly.

"Um, Gina," he began uncertainly.

"Mm?"

"We, um ... Something happened last night."

"Yes."

"We can't let it go on ... m-much as I'd like to."

"Why not?"

"Incest."

Gina stopped and took his other hand as he turned to face her. She smiled up at him.

"No it isn't, you poop. We're step brother and sister. There's no blood relationship at all."

"I know but surely it's still frowned on?"

"Not that I'm aware. Rare perhaps but not frowned upon although I'll bet there's some way out sect in some way out place that does but you've always got to have someone to object to anything."

"How are you so sure?"

"I googled it before I came down for breakfast."

She looked up at him her eyes twinkling. "So put that in your big panjandrum."

"Oh, Gina!" He pulled her gently and she fell into his arms. He did not clasp her to him just held her gently and firmly. He kissed the top of her head and she looked up. He kissed the tip of her nose and then her smiling mouth. Still it was gentle but it went on until they were both breathless.

Gina's eyes were shining. Dan felt his throat constrict as he looked down at her.

"I love you, Gina," he managed to get out.

"And I love you, Dan."

"Oh God!" he said hoarsely and pulled her back into his arms. "Oh, Gina! Oh, my Gina! My beautiful, precious Gina!"

Gina suddenly jerked her groin against him. "Oy!" she exclaimed.

"What's the matter?"

"Djamila goosed me. She's getting bored."

They both laughed. "Come on then," said Dan. "We can't keep Her Royal Highness waiting."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.