Antagonists - Cover

Antagonists

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 6

Molly felt for James's pulse and then holding his hand she sank to her knees beside the bed. She shed no tears. They would come later. At this moment she was very controlled.

"Goodbye, my darling," she whispered. "I don't think you suffered and I'm glad of that. I'm going to miss you terribly. I love you and will go on loving you forever."

She rose to her feet, kissed his forehead and went downstairs to tell Dan, who happened to be home, and Gina. Both noticed her drawn face and the misery in her eyes.

"James has died in his sleep," she said flatly.

Both stared at her and then Gina leapt to her feet and ran upstairs. Dan, without a word, took Molly in his arms. She laid her head against his shoulder and clung to him. Still there were no tears but he could feel her shaking.

At length she looked up. "Thank you, Dan darling," she said softly. "I must go to Gina now." She went slowly back upstairs.

Gina was lying stretched out beside James, an arm across him and her head on his chest. She was sobbing uncontrollably. Molly put a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Go away!" snarled Gina.

Molly flinched but did so. She went back downstairs.

"I've rung for an ambulance," Dan said.

Molly nodded. "Gina sent me away," she said dully.

"Don't let it get to you, Mum. You know how she loved him. Just give her a little time to say goodbye to him."

Molly nodded sadly. "I've done that," she whispered then her eyes widened and filled with tears. "Why? Why? Both my husbands. Why has God done this to me?"

Dan said nothing, just took her in his arms again as she began to cry. She cried for the best part of half an hour and still Dan held her. It was the front door bell that brought it to an end. Dan sat her down at the kitchen table and went to answer the door and let in the ambulance crew.

"I'll have to get my sister to leave him," he said.

"Very good, sir. Where would you like us to wait?"

"In the bathroom I should think and then you'll see when I've succeeded."

The ambulance crew followed him silently upstairs where he pointed to the bathroom.

"Gina, you've got to leave him now. The ambulance is here."

Gina shook her head.

"Please, Gina."

Gina shook her head again.

Dan put a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Come on, Gina."

"No!" she screamed lashing out at him.

"Gina, pull yourself together and leave him now," Dan said firmly, an edge to his voice.

There was no reply and if anything she clung tighter to James.

The ambulance man appeared at Dan's side and raised an eyebrow questioningly. Dan nodded. The ambulance man indicated picking her up under the arms. They both moved together and picked up a screaming, kicking Gina.

"Room opposite." said Dan.

The ambulance woman opened the door for them and they carried Gina to her bed. She resisted them no more but lay on her front and howled into her pillow.

"I'll stay with her," said Dan softly. "Thanks."

The crew both smiled at him and went back to James.

Dan sat on the side of the bed and gently stroked Gina's back. Gradually the howls died down and she fell asleep. Dan crept out of the room and went to find Molly. She had not moved. She was still sitting at the kitchen table staring into space. Dan turned the oven off. Luckily it had been turned down before the calamity had been discovered. He sat down opposite Molly.

"I don't think anyone will be eating this evening," he said softly.

Molly shook her head.

"Would you like a drink, Mum?"

She shook her head again and reached out with one hand across the table. Dan took it.

"Poor Gina's in terrible state."

"I heard."

"She's fallen asleep now."

"Good."

There was a long silence broken eventually by Molly.

"Will you come and sit on the sofa with me, Dan?"

"Yes, Mum. Of course."

He went round the table without letting go of her hand and led her into the drawing room. They sat down and she snuggled up to him. He put an arm round her.

"Thank you, Dan, for being such a comfort," she said.

Dan gave her a gentle squeeze.

"Thank you for taking charge too. I'm sorry. I'm being pretty wet."

"No you're not, Mum. Your first thought was for Gina."

"In some ways it wasn't as bad when your father was killed. I never saw his body and then I had you to look after but seeing James lying there as though he was sleeping..."

She tailed off and a sob convulsed her. Dan could think of nothing to say and just kissed the top of her head. There was silence again.

"Will you be going back to school tomorrow?"

"No, Mum. I'll give Arthur a ring shortly. I know he'll give me some time off."

She nodded. "I couldn't sleep in my own bed tonight," she said.

"Of course not. I'll make up the spare room bed for you."

"It's already made up."

"Good. I can look after you instead then."

"Bless you, Dan darling."

Dan gave her another gentle squeeze. "That's what sons are for."

She looked up at him and managed a small smile. He kissed the tip of her nose.

"Love you, Mum."

She smiled at him again.

The silence after that was more comfortable.

Dan persuaded Molly to have a cup of tea and a slice of cake. While she was doing that he rang Arthur Winston who was shocked.

"Don't worry one bit about us, Dan," he said. "Get the funeral out of the way and then we'll think again. Please tell your mother how very sorry and sad we are."

Dan thanked him and said he would.

It was now getting on for ten o'clock and Dan persuaded Molly to go to bed. He looked in on Gina. She was sound asleep but had not moved. He gently pulled the counterpane over her without waking her.

He went back to his own room and started to jot things down that needed to be done. It being a Sunday the next day there was little he could do about arranging the funeral. The vicar would be rushing between churches taking services. That would have to wait until Monday. So would contacting the undertakers. Tomorrow would be spent telling relatives. He realised that that responsibility would be his. It would be too much for his mother or Gina.

He reflected on how he felt: deeply sad but less so than his mother or Gina. It was not that he was related as such to James even though over the years he had come to admire him and indeed love him. He had been a very good step-father indeed to him. The way to repay some of that kindness and affection, and indeed love, was to look after the girls. He sighed. "Poor things," he thought. "I just hope they get over it reasonably quickly."

Dan dutifully rang round all four sets of in laws and James's partner. There was shock and deep sadness all round. Molly could not think of anyone else who could not wait for the announcement in the paper.

Gina emerged at about ten. She had clearly had another bout of crying. She was prepared to let Molly hug and hold her. Dan did not try, merely putting a gentle hand on her shoulder as he passed her sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee. She did not move.

"We need to start eating again," said Molly and set about producing a roast Sunday lunch. Dan stayed to keep her company and to help as necessary. Gina drifted silently off to her room. In the afternoon Dan and Molly washed up and then took the dogs for a walk.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.