The Protector - Vengence Is Mine - Cover

The Protector - Vengence Is Mine

Copyright© 2011 by MisguidedChild

Chapter 6

"Now what," Detective Jordan asked?

"I don't know," Jonas replied after a brief hesitation. "He didn't give me any more information."

"So, God only gave you part of the information that you need to do a job for him," Detective Jordan asked. The disbelief was clear in his voice.

"Yeah," Jonas said absently as he looked around. "It sounds pretty crazy doesn't it?" He was silent for a moment before continuing. "He said that he has rules that must be followed too and that his adversary can limit what he sees sometimes. Let's get out and just walk to the corner. Is there a way to keep this dome light from coming on when we open the door?"

Detective Jordan reached back over his shoulder and flipped the switch that would prevent the dome light from coming on. Jonas quietly opened the door and eased it closed and the detective followed his lead. The two men walked to the corner of the warehouse and stood next to the wall. They didn't hear or see anything. The sounds of the city were distant but this part of the city seemed to be a quiet pool of black. It looked like kids had shot the street lights out with pellet rifles for blocks around.

Jonas cautiously looked around the corner of the warehouse. The street was deserted. He didn't see a person or a vehicle. He eased back and looked around.

"Well, I'm here," Jonas whispered.

"Yeah, I know," Detective Jordan whispered back sarcastically.

"I wasn't talking to you," Jonas replied.

"Wait for it," Joe said in Jonas' mind.

Jonas sighed and said, "He said to wait for it."

Detective Jordan looked at Jonas like he was out of his mind. "So, God just told you to wait for it." It wasn't a question. It was a statement as if the detective was confirming to himself what he had heard.

"At least he is still whispering," Jonas thought.

"I'm standing on a dark street corner with a guy that talks to God and gets answers." The detective whispered. He touched the butt of his pistol and said aloud. "OK, why don't we get back in the car? I think we need to go back to the hospital."

"I can't," Jonas said quietly. "I have to wait."

Detective Jordan touched his arm and gently said, "You have had a really bad night Mr. Gianni. I really think that you should go back to the hospital now."

"I can't," Jonas repeated.

"Look, Mr. Gianni, I don't want to..." Detective Jordan started.

Jonas pushed the detective back against the warehouse wall as lights from a large black SUV swept around the opposite corner and down Lyon Street. They heard tires squeal as the vehicle braked and slid to a stop about ten feet from the corner. They heard the doors of the SUV open and noises coming from inside.

Jonas eased his head to the corner and looked around the edge to see what would happen. Three men were wrestling with three shapes. Jonas could hear the noises the shapes were making and knew they were gagged and tied.

Detective Jordan stepped close to Jonas and looked around the corner too. He immediately pulled his pistol. Jonas put his hand on the detective and shook his head.

Jonas moved his mouth close to the detective's ear and whispered. "They will kill them and escape. They already have a plan if they are caught. Can you call for backup and tell them to come quiet?"

Detective Jordan nodded and moved back to his car. He opened the door silently and eased it closed. Jonas could see him put the radio mike to his mouth.

Jonas looked back around the corner and saw which door the men took their captives. They were only gone a moment before one of them came back out, closed the doors of the SUV, and lit a cigarette. Jonas could see him smile when he looked at the closed door in the glow from the cigarette. The man walked to the door and leaned against the frame while he watched the street.

Jonas was startled when Detective Jordan moved up beside him again. The man could move very quiet when he wanted to. Jonas pointed in the direction of the men and held up one finger then pointed to his eyes then up and down the street. Detective Jordan nodded his understanding and pulled his pistol again. Jonas shook his head then pointed to himself and mimed with his fingers walking. Detective Jordan shook his head but Jonas ignored him.

Jonas slouched and hung his head before walking past the end of the warehouse. He stumbled as if he were drunk and walked into the street sign post. He backed up and staggered as he looked down the street away from the man watching. Jonas took a step away and stumbled into the post again except this time he was facing towards the man when he righted himself. He staggered forward and across the sidewalk until he was against the warehouse wall and stopped. He leaned against the wall and unzipped his pants. Jonas fumbled for a moment before he was able to set himself and urinate on the wall of the warehouse. He was gratified to hear the man chuckling. No one was on their guard against someone they were laughing at.

Jonas fumbled at his pants again and mumbled something incoherent. He kept his head down as he moved forward and stumbled to the street side of the sidewalk and after a few awkward steps ran into the back of the SUV. He mumbled an apology that earned another chuckle from the man. Jonas stumbled away from the SUV and across the sidewalk again. He stumbled into the wall of the warehouse just past the man.

Jonas felt a hand on his shoulder and jumped when he heard the laughing words, "Get out of here gringo." The hand pushed him. Jonas recognized the voice.

Jonas let the shoulder that was being pushed go forward as he pivoted. His knuckles were folded and his wrist was stiff as he came around and struck the man. He was a little off with the strike.

The man got a clear look at Jonas's face and his eyes grew big. His face drained of all color. "Madre de Dios. Estás muerto!" the man gasped.

Jonas understood the words. "Mother of God! You're dead."

Jonas struck again and didn't miss. He crushed the man's larynx and lowered him to the ground choking on his own blood. Jonas searched the man as Detective Jordan ran forward. He found a Glock 17 and a knife. He stuck the knife in his pocket and checked the Glock to make sure it was ready to fire. Jonas moved toward the door and Detective Jordan moved up beside him.

"Now what," the detective whispered the question?

"We go in," Jonas answered and he turned the door knob.

"We should wait for backup," the detective whispered.

"No time," Jonas whispered back and opened the door just a crack. He could feel time slipping away.

A dim light could be seen but Jonas couldn't hear anyone. He opened the door farther and looked inside. He was careful about it. He remembered what Joe said about being shot in the head. He didn't see anyone. A bare light bulb was about halfway down the corridor there was a door on each side of the light and one at the end. Jonas eased into the hall way and stayed close to the wall. Old wooden structures like these warehouses creaked when you walked down the center of the hallways.

Jonas quickly walked down the hall and could hear the light tread of Detective Jordan right behind him. He wasn't sure how he felt about the detective being with him. On one hand it gave him a better chance at success. It evened the odds a little. On the other hand, he wasn't sure if getting help reduced his chances for redemption. "Well," he thought to himself. "He sure couldn't make him go away now without alerting the bad guys."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.