She Took It All - Cover

She Took It All

Copyright© 2011 by happyhugo

Chapter 2

Ronnie did come on Sunday. I was the observer. When he came in, he grabbed Shelly for a passionate kiss, but she pulled away from him as soon as she could. I could see he loved his kids and they felt the same way about him. He ignored Jimmy and was cool toward me.

After dinner, I suggested to Jimmy that he show me where he had been playing down by the brook. This would give my housekeeper a chance to reconnect with her ex-husband. A half hour later, the two girls came and found Jimmy and me. "Mom told us to go play with Jimmy. I hope Mom and Daddy aren't going to fight like they did before he left last time." They looked so sad. I took time to show the kids how to skip stones across the brook.

When we returned to the house after an hour, Shelly and Ronnie were calm and it seemed as if things were fine between them. He fooled with Sandy and Kathy, laughing and joking with them. Before he left though, Kathy let her dad know how rough it was living when he didn't send the money he was supposed to.

"Jimmy used to bring us food from his house for us to eat and we almost had to go to a shelter, but Jimmy's dad came just in time and gave Mom a job."

His only comment was that the Lord did provide when he couldn't. Shelly's face darkened, but she didn't say anything. Ronnie left shortly after this exchange. The girls clung to him and cried as he left. Jimmy saved the day when he walked between them and held their hands as they waved good-bye.

When the kids were in bed and sleeping, Shelly said, "I imagine you want to know what went on between Ronnie and me while you were out."

"Yes, but I don't need to."

"I knew you would say that. John, I was hoping that things had changed, but Ron is worse instead of better. I will never go back to him. Would you believe he thought we should go to bed? I haven't seen him for months and that is the first thing he wanted. That car he is driving belongs to his girlfriend. My mother-in-law told me that yesterday.

"I asked him for some of the back money he owes, but he said he had to live and didn't see how he could give me any. I have always said I would never say anything bad to the kids about him, but it is difficult. He is working and I am tempted to have his wages garnished. What should I do?"

"Shelly, I can't advise you."

"I know that. I guess that as long as I am working for you, I'm okay. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't come along with a job offer. I have only known you for six days and it has been the brightest time I've had for a long time."

"When is he coming to see the girls again?"

"He said he would be back in two weeks on a Saturday to take the kids out. He intimated there might be a woman with him. I will be talking to my mother-in-law before then and I'll know more about what Ronnie does and how he lives. She has always liked me and she loves her grandkids."

We sat on the couch and Shelly was staring into space, while I watched the show, 60 minutes. "You know I was so excited about seeing him again. I am not now. I'm just disappointed."

"I don't know exactly how you feel, but I went through much the same thing. My wife dumped me. Don't get me wrong, I was ready for our marriage to end. I wanted her to feel sorry or sad about what she was doing, but I never saw any indication of it until we saw her this week. There was never even any raising of voices because by that time she had taken all I had to give and when she wanted the divorce, that was it and there was no more."

"As you could see, she saw how much I have changed. That comes of me finally being in control of my own life. I think you are coming to something like that and will be the better for it."

"You are saying, when I set my own course in life I'll feel a lot better?"

"Something like that. You are going to be okay. You have been through the fire and although scorched a little, you have been tempered to a hardness it takes to see you through to the end. Just remember to leave a little softness for those who really cherish you. Shelly, I have a busy day tomorrow. I'm going to sack in even though it is early. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, John. Thank you for pausing long enough to listen to me. I think I will go to bed myself."

Ronnie did come to see the girls every other weekend and took them out to a different fast food place. The girls wanted Jimmy with them so I gave him money, as I knew Ronnie would not pay for his meal. All three kids would be going to the local school and we had that all arranged.

Elizabeth did write to Jimmy. Often it was no more than a postcard showing some site she visited, but she was faithful in corresponding anyway. We never had an address where we could contact her. I received a support payment regularly. She doubled the amount and I freely used it for Sandy and Kathy.

When I paid Shelly her wages, she returned 20% of it when she cashed her check. She had a ledger and showed me the balance she still owed me on the money she borrowed when I paid off her landlord.

Shelly did go to court for an order so she could garnish Ronnie's wages. He was some pissed. We all knew he would never pay what he owed in back support, but he was paying the current amount due each month. No more free lunch for him.

We did meet his current girlfriend, Pam. She was older by five years than Ronnie. Personally, I liked her, as she seemed to have it all together. She was not particularly pretty, but attractive with her curly brown hair and bright brown eyes.

She took no crap from Ronnie and bossed him unmercifully. It was what he needed, I suspect. Shelly had loved Ronnie and never had treated him with disrespect while they were married. I imagine if a balance could have been struck between the actions of the two, and Shelly had found it, she would still be married to him.

Jimmy did not get a card the first week of September from his mother. None in the second week either. I called her attorney when there was nothing the third week. He informed me, "She'll be contacting you shortly. She is fine, just busy. She sends her love to Jimmy. I should have relayed that sooner."

Two days after this conversation, I came home to see Elizabeth's car sitting in my driveway. I guess neither she nor Shelly heard me drive in and I stepped into the living room where the two women were sitting on the couch.

Elizabeth came bounding off the couch and into my arms. She kissed me before saying, "Johnny, I'm so glad to see you." Two things struck me as being different. She rarely called me Johnny and she rarely was demonstrative in front of anyone unless it was Jimmy.

I backed her up so I could look into her eyes. "This is a surprise. I didn't expect you back in this country for another three months or so."

"Oh, I have had an awful time. I don't know what to believe about anyone anymore. I even had a hard time getting home."

"Calm down. You can tell me all about it, maybe this evening. Have you seen Jimmy?"

"No. Shelly said he and the girls went down to the neighbors to play when they got home from school."

"She'll give you directions if you want to go meet him. He has been wondering why you haven't written for the last three weeks. You can gauge how he feels about you when you walk in on him. I have to take a shower as I have been out to the pig farm with a truckload of bread. I might not smell the best."

"You smell good to me."

I looked over her shoulder at Shelly who was staring at the back of Elizabeth's head. The thought flashed through me. Shelly is jealous. Then she looked at my face and flushed. Another thought, she is not just jealous. I recognized in that glance that she had feelings for me.

To me this was a new and welcomed development. When we had time, I might ask about these feelings I had and see if hers matched mine. I had been waiting for the right opening for weeks. I still hadn't got over my habit of letting others control my life and I needed to change that.

Elizabeth went looking for Jimmy and I went to take a shower while Shelly made dinner. I invited Elizabeth to stay the night. She would have Jimmy's bed and he would bunk in with me. Shelly then rushed the kids through dinner so they could catch the early show as it was Friday night and no school tomorrow.

"Jimmy your Dad wants to talk to your Mom. We'll give them some time together."

"Okay, but I want to live here with Dad. I don't want to move back with you, Mom."

"Jimmy, I promise I won't ask you to. I would like to have you visit me over Christmas though."

"Maybe, but I want to spend Christmas with Kathy and Sandy. Can they come with me?"

"We'll talk about it. It is a long time from now." That seemed to satisfy Jimmy and away they went with Shelly.

I turned to Elizabeth. "Okay, tell me about the last three months. I take it is what you came here for."

"John I should never have divorced you. You were always there for me and did just what I wanted you to do. Brian was more of a take-charge person. I did not realize this until we traveled overseas. I suppose I didn't think you equaled me in class and I thought Brian did.

"I did budget how much money I planned on spending on our sojourn. Brian spent it freely. Then I woke up two weeks ago and he was gone. He took everything of value, including his clothes and my jewelry. He stuck me with the hotel bills and several other items I agreed he could buy which I thought were already paid for.

"The bastard even took my credit cards and maxed them out in that one evening between the time I went to bed and when I woke up. I am now a quarter of a million dollars poorer than when I said good-bye to you last summer. Christ, you didn't cost me that in the twelve years I knew you." Elizabeth went into details of what had transpired during the last three months.

"He was a con man then, and you were his mark."

"Yes and if when he tries to get back into the United States, he may have trouble."

"Oh, he'll be back and some day he'll be caught, because crooks are always apprehended. I can almost guarantee you'll never get your money back though."

"I don't care about the money, but you can bet I'll be the prosecution's best witness."

"So why are you here to see me?"

"Just to see Jimmy and cry on your shoulder, I guess. Maybe you can tell me how to straighten out my life. Looking back, I can see where you never bucked against me. You always made sure I was happy in our life together. That is until I thought I wanted someone more exciting than you appeared to be. I screwed up royally didn't I?"

"No, my leaving you was coming. I wasn't happy being in your shadow and I sometimes felt like I was your lap dog. When I realized I was better than that, it was inevitable we part. I am happy now. I do have to watch my money because my business is growing all of the time. I haven't taken time for any personal happiness either, but I'm going to change that soon."

"Shelly?"

"Maybe. I haven't spoken to her about how I feel."

"I talked to her this afternoon and I have no idea what is in her mind, except she wants her two girls and Jimmy to grow up together. I think she would marry you just to make that happen."

"It would have to be more than that."

"I guess you are right. You tried marriage with the love unequal between the partners. We know that doesn't work." Elizabeth looked sad realizing that if she had not been quite so demanding, we might still be married.

I listened to a scene-by-scene story of the movie when Shelly and the kids came home. Elizabeth was going to bed after telling Jimmy good night. She was a long time in saying good night to him and Shelly had time to ask me if I was going back to her.

"No, our time is behind us even though she has changed for the better. She is discovering that other people besides her have wants and needs." Elizabeth came back in and said good night to us. "John, we do have a great son. I am so proud. Shelly, I love Kathy and Sandy almost as much as I do Jimmy. I will see you in the morning. Good night." She left us.

"See what I mean? She would have never said that before to either me or you."

"She does seem thoughtful. How long is she staying?"

"I don't know. For a few days, I guess. Say, I have to go to Gainsville on business Wednesday, and I am planning to be back home late Friday. It isn't that far away, but I am going to be gone overnight Wednesday and Thursday. Would you like to go with me? I'll ask Elizabeth to watch the kids."

"The kids will miss us."

"Elizabeth will get them ready for school and take them out to eat every night."

"Okay, if you really want me to tag along."

I looked her in the face. "I can't think of anything I would like better."

"I'll do it. Let me ask Elizabeth now. She can't have gone to sleep yet." I heard the two women laughing and it was a half hour later before Shelly came out and sat across the room from me.

"Well, will she?" Shelly's face was flushed and she was smiling broadly.

"Yes she will. You know, I was prepared to hate your wife, but I think I like her. She seems so full of it."

I looked back at her blankly. "That's not the wife I knew. Wow, is she finally becoming human?"

"Oh, she's human. John, let's make her our friend. We will be seeing her quite often. She wants to keep seeing Jimmy."

"I hope she isn't planning on taking custody away from me."

"No she isn't. I asked her. She also has invited us to spend Christmas with her, you know. She's planning a bash so I can see all of my old neighbors whom I was friendly with when I lived here. You'll see yours from two years ago as well." I just shook my head in disbelief.

There was more. Elizabeth went into the kitchen while Shelly was getting Sunday dinner. Food preparation was all new to my ex-wife. She was so proud when I complimented Shelly on the baking powder biscuits and Shelly said that Elizabeth had been the one to make them. "I may have put them together, but Shelly told me exactly how."

Monday I took Elizabeth to work with me. We first went to the store and then about eleven we went to the warehouse where the day-old food was coming in to be separated, marked, and transported to the discount store. We went back and watched as the wrappers were removed, the older stuff going into the pig farm tubs to be processed. "Would you like to ride out there with me? Shelly often drives the truck for me, but it is mine to do today."

"Sure, I might as well see your whole operation. It must cost you a lot to rent this old warehouse."

"It is expensive, but I have an option to buy just as soon as my profit allows me to."

"Why don't you borrow the money?"

"Because the business as it is, just won't support so large an expenditure yet. I can buy it in two years if I continue to grow at the same pace as I am now."

"That seems like a long time to wait."

"Not long in the scheme of things."

"I could lend you the money. Hell, I could give you the money."

An explosive no came from me. "Elizabeth, I don't want that kind of help from you. I'm just getting comfortable with you being here to visit our son. I do not want to be beholden to you in any other way. If I took money from you, I would be right back to feeling as I did before we divorced. Don't do this to me."

"Our relationship bothered you that much?"

"Not at first, but then I began to get the feeling you bought me and you began acting as if you had."

"Give me an example."

"I can easily."

"Do it."

"Okay, here goes and this is a quote, 'John we are expected at the club for dinner at eight. After dinner, try to converse with the other men we are joining. You have a habit of finding a corner and looking as if you want to be alone. You could dance with the other spouses. Some of the women wonder about our marriage and why I married you. You're making me look bad.' Elizabeth, something like that happened more often than not.

"I admit you had some cause, but you were the one that put me into that situation. In case you forgot, I warned you that my being married to you would never work because you were so rich. It would have been so easy for me to take advantage of you just like this Brian who just took you for a ride."

"Why didn't you?"

"For one thing, I knew you didn't know what you were doing to me. When I tried to talk to you about it, you wouldn't listen. Another reason was, I had to live and respect myself. I made the same vows you did and when it became obvious I didn't respect myself any longer, it was time to leave. You made it easy for me by instituting the suit. I did it without breaking any of my vows."

We rode along without either of us saying anything. Just as we pulled into the hog ranch, Elizabeth said, "I should have listened to you when I had the chance. Too late now. John, at least I know now why you left without being nasty or mean. I'm glad we had this talk." She was staring out the window. "My God, look at the pigs! There are hundreds of them."

"Yes and I own a little piece of each one."

"You aren't planning on going into politics are you John?"

"No, what do you mean?"

"I mean you have your own private pork barrel." This was the first time Elizabeth had ever tried to make a joke. It was a weak one, but she made the effort, anyway.

I stepped down from the truck and faced her. I stood there staring at her shaking my head. "It was really bad, huh?"

"The joke wasn't that great, but I'm beginning to have hope for you."

"Stop for a minute. John, I always thought I was an intelligent person, but I've learned you are more so than I am. I do know one thing that you might not be aware of and I am passing it on to you. Shelly Waters loves you very deeply. Don't let her get away. Now let's go play with the pigs."

We didn't go where the pigs were, but Elizabeth showed interest in their production. This was especially when the food that I trucked in was mentioned by my partner, Sam Gembrowski. "You know this is classified as a free range hog operation and we are allowed to advertise as such. This brings us a few more cents a pound when we market the hogs.

"It would be nice if we could advertise as an organic farm, but using the feed that John provides we can't. There are too many preservatives and chemicals added to the bread and doughnuts to let us do that. However, we are careful and do make sure what we feed is good for the animals and for the humans who ultimately utilize the pork. Believe it or not, pigs are very close to man in their body makeup and organs."

Elizabeth interjected: "Maybe that accounts for so many obese people in the United States."

"Hey lady, you may have something in that."

On the way home, I said I might take Shelly dancing one night when we were away. Elizabeth thought that a grand idea.


We were up very early Wednesday morning. We had a three-hour drive and I had an early meeting. I planned to leave about five. Shelly and I had promised we would bring the kids back a present when we returned. We did get away on time. I had to go through the city to reach the state route I would be traveling.

As we left the city, I asked what rooms Shelly had reserved. "Room? I have only reserved one room. You have slept in the same bed twice before with me when we first met. I am comfortable with the same arrangement."

I looked at Shelly. She had a gentle smirk on her face. I wanted to let her know I was willing to leave her in charge on this point. "I'm okay with that. You have to know though, things have changed since that time."

"I'm counting on it. Change the subject. What is this business you have to conduct?"

"I'm meeting with a bakery that makes all sorts of bakery products. There will be other men here so I'm told, but I don't know in what capacity. Getting the bread discards and mistakes made in baking is what I am aiming for. I'm looking for a contract that will direct more out of date product my way.

"We have enough day old items to stock our discount store, but I know there is a lot of stuff that would go to pig feed. Rather than have the factory handle it, I thought maybe I could set up a collection point and it would come right to me to handle.

"If that happens, then I can buy the warehouse and process it right there."

"Always thinking aren't you?"

"Yes. Look, I want my business to grow, but I do not want it to get so big but what I still have time enough to enjoy family. At some point, I will come to that and stop expanding. When I stop expanding, I will hire someone to manage it and just do consulting. I know you worked in accounting, would you care to take on more duties as my accountant?"

"I would. I know I can help you so you can reach your goals sooner."

"I don't want to get rich, say like Elizabeth is, but I do want to be comfortable and send my kids to college, have a vacation every year, and buy the items to be comfortable when I need them."

"Kids, you only have one."

"Oh, but I plan on having more just as soon as I find someone to spend the rest of my life with. It is time to change the subject again. What are you going to be doing while I'm in the meeting?"

"I'm going shopping. Elizabeth gave me money for being such a good surrogate mother to Jimmy. I shouldn't have taken it, but she gave several reasons why I should. She convinced me."

It was companionable as we rode along. "Tell me about your life while you were growing up, if you would? I know it is personal, but I would like to know."

"I don't mind. I had a happy childhood. We never had much money, but always found enough for the necessities. You haven't met my parents yet. My dad will like you and you will like him, I think. Mom is sweet, just like you want a mother to be. I have a brother who is smarter than the rest of us. He is a lawyer and lives in California with his wife and their two children.

"My dad has a small moving company with three trucks. He doesn't do any long haul moves, just local. He has one full time employee. I used to fill in when he had all three trucks out. You'll meet him next week when they come to visit."

"What about you and Ronnie? How did you meet him?"

"He was my childhood sweetheart. His mother sent him off to school after we graduated. He did not do well there. Too many parties I guess, so he flunked out and came home. He found a job and started courting me. I was working so we got married. His folks moved to where they live now and Ronnie had a chance to work in the town where I met you.

"Shortly after we got situated, he lost his job. I worked and he was supposed to take care of Kathy and Sandy. He couldn't even do that. I came home a couple of times and the girls were home alone. We argued about it until I said I had enough. My mother and father paid for the divorce and he went back to live with his folks.

"So here I am with two kids and all the expenses because I couldn't count on Ronnie to help at all. He really was a big disappointment to me. I lost my job and that is when Jimmy started helping out by bringing us some food. Then you arrived. End of story.''

"Have you dated at all?"

"No, how could I? Too much baggage. Have you dated since your divorce from Elizabeth?"

"No. Christ that makes us almost virgin again doesn't it?"

"Maybe so, but I'll bet that is going to change. Let's move on to a different subject."

"Okay." We went another few miles. Then I asked, "We will get to the hotel about eight. I think we should stop at a diner somewhere and eat breakfast. Then I will get us checked in. When we check in, is it going to be as Mr. and Mrs. Rheingold or otherwise?"

"I think Mrs. Rheingold would be perfect."

I looked sideways. "Good. Shelly, I'm going somewhat slowly with you. I don't want to rush you into anything, but I would like to have a relationship with you."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.