Klutz - Cover

Klutz

Copyright© 2011 by MisguidedChild

Chapter 6

Bill parked at the end of the row of parking spaces. Bill usually looked for end locations in parking lots because they were easier to get the big truck into and out of. It also only left one side of his vehicle exposed to inconsiderate people that slammed their car doors open against the side of his truck. That wasn't as much of a problem since he put a lift kit in. Now, most car doors only hit his running board. Bill's doors could take out half the side of a car if he wasn't careful.

Bill got out and walked around to the passenger side to help Susan down. He was careful when he opened her door because a late model red mustang convertible was parked beside him. Bill believed in being considerate of other people's property. He lifted Susan down easily and hit the remote to lock the truck. He almost ran over Susan when he turned and took a step. She hadn't moved. She was looking at the car with a pensive look on her face.

Bill glanced at the car and noticed the interior. The back seat was normal black leather like you would often see in red sports cars. The front seats and floor were lime green.

Bill shook his head in disgust and said, "There is no accounting for some peoples taste. Look at that. Why would anyone want lime green in a red car?" He shook his head again and turned to Susan.

Susan was looking at him with wide, startled eyes. She shook her head and stuck a finger in her ear as if she were trying to clean them out. She gave him that startled expression again before saying, "Yep. Some people just have no color sense."

Susan turned on her heel and marched toward the court house doors. "Come on Bill. We're in a hurry. Remember," she called over her shoulder.

Bill watched her stride away for a moment. He glanced at the mustang again before catching up with her in three quick strides. One of his strides equaled about two and a half of hers. He glanced at her for a moment then straight ahead.

"You know why that car has lime green front seats don't you," Bill stated in a calm, matter of fact voice.

"Maybe," Susan replied in a light, nonchalant voice.

"Do you want to tell me about it," Bill asked?

"Nope," Susan replied.

"Why not," Bill asked as they moved toward the court house at about half the speed he was used to.

"Old news," Susan replied airily.

"What the hell did she mean by that," Bill thought to himself.

He took a step faster to reach the doors first to hold them open for Susan. As he pulled the doors open a man pushed from the inside and the doors swung open a little harder than Bill expected. The man stumbled forward partly because of the unexpected ease of the door swinging open as he pushed. He was using a cane which contributed to his imbalance and made him stumble just a little harder.

The man was probably in his mid thirties and stood a little less than six feet tall. He had sandy blond hair and seemed to be in pretty good shape except for his right leg. He favored his right leg and used a cane to support some of his weight on that side.

Bill caught him with one arm as the man stumbled forward and kept him from falling.

"I'm sorry mister," Bill said as he steadied the man on his feet.

Bill didn't understand the man's reaction. He had just stumbled forward and Bill understood someone being a little unsteady when they had to rely on a cane. He hadn't fallen but it seemed like Bill still had to hold him up after steadying him. Bill stepped back while keeping his hands on the man's shoulders to make sure he didn't fall down. He saw the look of terror on the man's face. His eyes were wide and his mouth was working like a fish out of water. He was looking at Susan.

"Hi Roy," Susan said with a little wave and what sounded like forced cheerfulness.

The words seemed to break a spell on the man. He scrambled backward through the door and disappeared into the darker interior shadows of the building.

Susan gave a grimace and a shrug when Bill looked at her. Bill cautiously stuck his head through the still open door. Roy was backed against the wall most distant from the door. Bill stepped through and got no reaction from the man.

Susan stepped through the door and the man yelled, "You stay away from me. Everyone warned me about you but I didn't listen. I know better now so you just stay away."

Bill edged down the hall followed by Susan. Both hugged the opposite wall from Roy. Bill eyed the crazy man warily until they were past him. As soon as Roy had a clear path to the door he made a stumbling lunge for the opening. He careened off the door that was closing on the pneumatic door controls. He made it through but Bill heard a crash outside.

Bill looked at Susan and asked, "Friend of yours?"

"Old boy friend," Susan replied tersely.

"How long ago did you break up," Bill asked.

"Oh, three or four months," Susan said. She hesitated a moment and continued, "He broke his leg so we broke up."

"Why would you break up with him because he broke his leg," Bill asked. He couldn't believe that Susan could be so disloyal as to break up with a guy just because he broke his leg. If that was the kind of person she was then he wasn't sure he wanted her working for him.

Susan turned and slowly walked down the hall with her head down. Bill followed.

After about ten steps Susan took a deep breath and let it out before saying, "I didn't break up with him. He broke up with me. Roy kind of blamed me for his leg getting broke." She took another deep breath and continued, "And he blamed me for some other stuff."

"Other stuff," Bill repeated slowly as if he tasted the words. "Other stuff," he said again. "What other stuff," he asked?

Susan grimaced as if she hoped that question wouldn't be asked. "Well, some paint got spilled when he broke his leg and he thinks it is entirely my fault."

She sounds a little defensive Bill thought. Maybe she sounded more than a little defensive. Bill had a moment of insight and asked, "Was it green paint?"

Susan nodded miserably. "Yes," she said in a small, defeated voice.

"Wow," Bill said looking at Susan's back and slumped shoulders. He wasn't sure if he was looking at a natural disaster or just an incredibly unlucky person. "Wow," he said again.

Susan turned into the third door on the right and Bill followed her. They had trouble getting anyone's attention because everyone was looking out the window. Bill couldn't see what they were all looking at but could see the red and blue flashing lights reflected on the walls. A moment later Bill saw an ambulance pull away from the front of the court house.

"That was quick," Bill commented blandly.

"Not really," Susan replied. "The hospital is right behind the courthouse." She paused for a moment then grumbled under her breath, "Besides, someone probably called them when they saw me get out of your truck."

Bill looked at her in astonishment. He knew that he wasn't supposed to hear that last remark so he didn't comment. It did worry him though.

The crowd by the window broke up as the ambulance pulled away. Bill was bemused as several of the office staff started rearranging items that could be damaged if knocked off after they noticed Susan and Bill. Cups were moved from the edge of desks and counters. Flower vases were adjusted towards the middle of desks. Chairs and waste baskets were pushed under desks. Bill had listened to the serious conversations between his brother and sister-in-law when their first baby was due about childproofing their home. It looked like the office staff was childproofing the office. He looked at Susan with a new respect. She must be truly amazing to get this kind of response just by walking into a room.

One woman didn't look at Susan as if she were an accident waiting to happen. The tall, thin woman with a wild mop of red hair strode towards the counter with a broad grin.

"Hey Suzie-Q," the woman called in a rumbling base voice that didn't fit her body. "Did you get to say hi to Roy before they hauled him off," she asked with a laugh.

Susan blushed but smiled back, "Yes Ruth. I said hi when we came in the door."

"Which explains the ambulance," the tall woman laughed delightedly.

Susan laughed with the woman, only a little self consciously.

Bill noticed that Susan was jerking her head in his direction and could tell her eyebrows were going up and down.

"Good morning miss," Bill said smiling. "Judging from the way her head is jerking around and her eyebrows are bobbing you probably shouldn't talk about things like that." Bill looked sideways at Susan and his smile grew into a grin when he saw her blush deepen. "It might be the only way to keep her from getting whiplash."

Susan looked directly at Bill and glared. Her blush didn't lessen.

Bill's grin didn't diminish as he held out his hand to the tall woman. "My name is Bill Miller."

The woman smiled at Susan's glare and grasped his hand, "My name is Ruth James. Susan and I have been friends since the first grade. We decided in second grade that we were BFF." She stopped and chuckled when she saw the confusion on his face. "That is Best Friends Forever. Anyway, we have never had a reason to change our minds."

"Glad to, ah, to meet you Ruth," Bill replied hesitantly.

The tall woman had leaned over the counter and was pointedly running her eyes up and down Bill's frame. Bill didn't think he had ever been examined so pointedly or frankly.

"Congratulations," Ruth said.

"For what," Bill asked puzzled?

"You walked in here with Miss Disaster and you don't seem to have any broken bones and don't seem to be mad at her from breaking something near and dear to you," Ruth replied seriously.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.