What's a Father to Do? - Cover

What's a Father to Do?

Copyright© 2011 by Barneyr

Chapter 2: A Turn for the Better

Sam called back about an hour later, "It's all set up, buddy boy, we leave for the airport in a limo at 10 in the morning, we fly out of DFW at 2, and we will be in Florida before you know it. We have a condo, well, like a real large suite, one with four bedrooms, a sitting room, and a kitchen. We are about a hundred yards from the monorail station at the resort, then it's ride the rail to the park. I have us booked for three weeks, is that going to be ok? I mean we can stay longer if we need to, but I thought three weeks should be enough. Also, during that time I need to talk to you about an opportunity you might be interested in. So are the girls excited? I know Sandy is about to jump out of her skin."

"Sam, the girls are trying to figure out what they need to pack. I told them to start with the underwear and swim suits, and go from there."

"Jeff, tell them to be skimpy with the packing. They need new clothes anyway, and we can get what we need down there, no sense lugging stuff down there when they don't need to. I have seen what they are wearing these days, and they need some new clothes that fit and are in style."

I suddenly realized that I had not taken the girls shopping since this all happened. The girls were forced to step into Amber's, or their mother's clothes in some cases, and otherwise, just wear what they had. Boy oh boy, I had really neglected their needs. That was a real eye opener. Needless to say, I was embarrassed by Sam's statement, but I also realized that he was being kind. He had taken all three girls shopping a few times while I was working. They always came back with some clothes, but not a lot, at least that I saw. Well, I promised myself that I would never let that happen again. I needed to become a bigger part of their lives; I needed to be a father to my angels, in every respect. Myself, I could get away with wearing the same clothes for a year, but they could not. Besides, I needed to get some new clothes too, since I had lost about thirty pounds during my depression, and it showed in my gaunt face and hanging clothes.

Now, as far as my finances are concerned, I was ok. I did get a huge settlement from the city and another from the insurance company upon the death of my wife and daughter. The city settlement came because the police should not have been chasing the kid down that street, knowing there was a school down there. Then because of it being an accident, both my wife's and Amber's policies paid double. I mean I wasn't in Sam's category, but I was doing alright. I made just over $60k a year, had $100,000 in each of the girls' college funds, and I had a few investments, mainly ones Sam gave me some tips on. So I had about 80k in my bank accounts, and maybe another 75k in investments.

Sam, on the other hand, had taken his three million and invested wisely. He bought the dealership, and generally had more now than when his wife divorced him. So life for him and Sandy had been pretty good since he left the agency. Sam left the agency shortly after that tragic night, and he and Sandy hid away in his modest home. They hid for two months, then it seemed as though nothing had ever changed, except Sam no longer worked for the state. This was when he sold some of his investments and bought the car dealership. At Sam's insistence, I was a ten percent owner in it. From then on, Sam never looked back. Now I needed to do the same. I needed to put my life back together somehow, go forward and not look back. I still missed and grieved for my lost Pixie and our little angel, Amber, but I had to go on for the sakes of Brie and Cathy. I just had to push myself and move on. Two years is a long time to grieve; I needed a change. Wait, Sam said something about a new opportunity for me. I wonder what that is all about. I guess I will have to wait until Sam is ready to tell me. Meanwhile, I need to get packed too.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.