Desiderata
Chapter 19

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Henry had not been idle. He had rung Sir Norman on Tuesday afternoon. After the usual pleasantries he cut to the chase.

"Plasters, I'm ringing about our two lovebirds: your Gerry du Puys and my Isobel Harris."

"They are already taking up a lot of my time. Gerry came to see me to help find a slot somewhere in London for his bride to be. I haven't been successful so far."

"Isobel came to me to warn me that she was going to have to leave. I knew it was going to happen but I'm going to miss her. Not only is she damned good at her job and clients trust and like her but she's a very special young woman. She had a miserable childhood but with her brains and a steel will has got to where she has."

"Is she going to try and dominate Gerry?"

"Never. She worships him but she's never going to be a pushover."

"I'd like to meet this girl."

"You have done, Plasters. At the dinner party when you last deigned to visit us."

"Oh ... Oh yes! I remember: a tall, pretty blonde girl. I can't say I was over-impressed. She seemed a bit mouselike."

"Not surprisingly. We invited them both after their joint case but didn't know that they'd fallen for each other but that she was resisting any further involvement."

"Arch feminist?"

"Far from. Detached parents and a strong school friendship that fell apart leaving her unable to connect emotionally with anyone else. Your Gerry broke through that saving her from committing suicide."

"Did he just? He's never mentioned that."

"Would you expect him to?"

"No. How good is she, really, Henry?"

"Very, very good. In fact, exceptionally good. She knows her stuff, is not afraid to ask for guidance and her clients trust her and like her. Some even love her. I'm thinking of a divorcé and a divorcée. Both were family disputes and she got down to the basics, decided on the fairness and then went for a fair decision which, in both cases, she achieved. I don't think that either of the oppos felt aggrieved either, even the one that Gerry became involved with. She's a nut case anyway but then Isobel behaved impeccably although she did agree with Gerry that she was a malevolent, manipulative minx."

"How do you know that?"

Henry put on a voice. "All our calls are recorded in the interests..."

Sir Norman's laugh halted that. "Shut up, you pompous ass."

Henry did not deign to reply.

"You clearly think very highly of this young woman."

"Yes. Very highly indeed."

"So what had you got planned for her?"

"Oh, come on, Plasters. Until Gerry appeared on the scene and all her background unfolded through Penelope I saw her as a temporary creature who would marry and leave us. Then I began to wonder whether she was not a dedicated spinster who might become a senior partner. Now I have to accept that she will not be although I would dearly like to keep her."

"She's your leader on Family Law?"

"Yes."

"I asked Gerry whether he wanted to move into Criminal Law but he declined. He acknowledged that it could be the fastest way to the top but also realised that one major case lost could be a death knell. He's very good on business and finance. He's also done three or four family cases and they went well too. He's one of my young stars."

"I thought he probably was. You clearly want to keep him."

"I do but his best interest must come first."

"Accepting a second rate career to make the most of his marriage."

"That's one way of looking at it. I know he's not really a London man and would be happier in the country. His roots are in your neck of the wood and he might do well to switch to the western circuit. His ability might stand out on it."

"That's something that crossed my mind and I mentioned it to Isobel. I'm sure she'll discuss it with him. Of course that's another thing. She's a country girl too. Never been east of Basingstoke as far as I'm aware. She would do if she had to of course, I'm sure."

"How old is she?"

"Twenty-six."

"Young enough to change horses."

"I hadn't thought of that."

"Right. Let me think about it a bit longer. I've got a case I'm handling personally which is taking up most of my time at the moment but I'll try and fit Gerry in for half an hour's chat next week. I'll let you know what comes out of it."

"Many thanks, Plasters. I couldn't ask for more."

Sir Norman was as good as his word and called Gerry in to see him on Monday morning. The 'chat' lasted more like an hour than half an hour and gave Gerry a lot to think about. He was not a lot further in reaching a decision when Isobel rang that evening, not that he could be without her input.

"Sir Norman read my palm this morning," he said once their initial greetings were over.

"Tell me."

"He said that he thought I should become a silk at younger than average age. He knew I didn't want to go into Criminal Law but I could go just as far with Family Law or Business Law which is largely what I'm doing now and that I need to specialise soon. He then said that while he would not particularly like to lose me from his chambers he would not stand in my way and I might shine more on, say, the western circuit than in London where all the other young thrusters were working."

"So he was hinting that despite his support you might actually do better out of London."

"Yes, I think so."

"That's generous."

"Very. In a lot of ways it's very attractive. You know I'm not a city boy. The thought of being able to come home in the evening from May to September and go for a stroll in the country before supper is very appealing."

"You bet. I love it."

"It's a question of whether I could still make my name in a new setting."

"Sir Henry seems to think you could and I'm jolly sure you could."

"Thanks, Whizzy."

"Thanks nothing, my love. You know jolly well you could. What else did he say?"

"He asked whether you would consider changing sides. You're young enough and he hinted that he would take you on as an assistant until you had passed your exams."

"Did he just! That's very generous too."

"That's what I thought. How does it grab you?"

"I'd have to think about it but I'm not sure it's for me. I can cope with the simpler court cases but I had to call you in for Arthur."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.