Desiderata - Cover

Desiderata

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 6

There was a minor argument over cars but in the end with them all splitting after lunch they took three. Isobel had walked to court so she travelled with Gerry.

On the way Arthur explained the outcome of the morning to Larry. "Mummy's got to make sure that you can come to me when you're supposed to and she's got to listen to you and me over things like long hair. Otherwise there's no change. Are you happy with that?"

"Yes, Daddy. It means that I can come to you properly now."

"That's right."

"Good. Where are we going now?"

"To have lunch at a pub. You remember Miss Harris and Mr du Puys."

"Yes."

"They're coming too."

"I like them."

"So do I. Miss Maynard, your dentist, is coming as well."

Larry looked less sure about that.

"It's all right, Larry. She's not going to be doing anything to your teeth."

"Good!" replied Larry fervently.

Lunch went well. Larry told Gerry all about his visit to the tank museum. Gerry questioned him about riding on a tank's gun and was firmly put in his place. Dorothy completely relaxed. Everyone liked her and was amused by her slightly acid but lively wit.

Isobel joined in but she had an underlying feeling of sadness. This was probably the last time she would spend with Gerry. It had to be though she thought, trying not to put a dampener on things.

Gerry noticed that she was somewhat withdrawn and sensed why. He forced himself to remain cheerful.

When they got back in the car afterwards little was said during the journey back to Isobel's office.

"Thanks, Gerry," she said when they got there. "I've really enjoyed working with you and the other fun we've had together." She leant across and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek.

Gerry grabbed her hand. "Don't you think, Isobel, that there was rather more than just a professional relationship? I thought we'd become friends."

Isobel nodded. She did not trust herself to speak.

"So I'd like to go on seeing you from time to time."

"So would I," she stammered, "but it wouldn't be fair on you. I told you. I can't get involved and I might because I like you so much. Goodbye, Gerry."

She pulled her hand away sharply and, with a sob, flung herself out of the car and ran for the office.

Gerry sat there miserably. Of one thing he was quite certain. He was not going to let her go without a struggle. She was worth one. She was intelligent, amusing, warm and, to him certainly, most attractive. He thought the gentle understanding she had given to Arthur was outstanding. It was more than her being a thoroughly good solicitor. She put her heart into it and that was rare and brave. She was a very special girl. He had to get her to trust him and that could take a long time if this no involvement business was deep-seated which he suspected it was. It had clearly upset her to turn him down this time, what she clearly saw as the last time.

He thought about it some more, the strength of his feelings for her. There was no doubt that he liked her very much indeed. He was also physically attracted to her but he certainly did not lust after her. She was much too precious a jewel. Precious! She was precious to him which was why he could not bear to lose her. The realisation dawned on him that he loved her. He was not in love with her yet. She had to show something approaching love for him to trigger his actually falling in love. She did like him, a lot. She had said so. He had to get through her blockage. It was going to need a lot more thought, time and patience.

He sighed deeply, shook his head hard and drove slowly away.

Apart from that one sob Isobel managed to restrain herself from crying until she got back to her office where she wept silently and copiously. She wanted so much to go on seeing Gerry. He was a sweet, gentle man who entertained whether talking seriously or pulling her leg. She could not just play him along. That would be deeply dishonest and wounding. It would also hurt her even more when the final explosion came as come it certainly would. She could not bear to go through that anguish and misery again. She could never ever again trust someone as she had trusted Gwen and so she must not under any circumstances allow herself to get into that position again nor must she ever lead someone into that position where she might let them down. After everything she was making a success of her life even if it still was bittersweet and she just had to get on with it as it was.

She went to the Ladies where she washed her face and combed her hair. Merle watched her come and go and felt anxious for her. Isobel was normally so cheerful and her behaviour seemed unnatural but it was not for Merle to say anything.

When Isobel returned it seemed that Merle's anxiety was misplaced. The smile and the bounce in Isobel's step were back to normal.

"Success!" she announced. "We got everything we wanted for Mr Corsellis. If his ex steps out of line she's for the high jump."

"Great! Well done, Isobel!"

"No, I was merely the facilitator. Mr du Puys was brilliant. First of all he charmed her then he all but accused her of being a liar and then when she started to get in a muddle and contradict herself he asked the judge whether she thought it was worth going any further. Brilliant!"

"He's nice too, isn't he?"

"Worth chocolate biscuits nice," Isobel grinned.

Merle looked down.

"Yes, he is," Isobel smiled. "More than bloody chocolate biscuits nice, damn him," she thought to herself as she went back to her office.

After that everyone involved in the court case went back to their normal lives, outwardly.

Arthur felt enormous relief and gratitude to Isobel and Gerry. He wrote to them both over the weekend saying so. The only difference between the two letters was that he attached a handwritten note to Isobel's:

Dear Isobel,

I have written an identical letter to Gerry. You have had to work with my problems for a lot longer all of which time you have been patient, hardworking and, above all friendly. The way you coached me through last Friday morning was more than I could have asked for. The lunch after the case was fun and no more than a gesture of my gratitude. I'm going to be dashing about a bit again but would very much like to ring you and arrange to have dinner together when I've caught my breath.

Sincerely

Arthur

The envelope was annotated 'Personal to'.

Isobel was touched and wrote back thanking him and saying that she looked forward to his telephone call.

Miss Stephens was in a fury. Whenever not preoccupied with her job she smarted at the dressing down she had received from the judge. Her outward reactions were twofold. She smothered Larry in affection which he found overwhelming and reported to Arthur in slightly different terms: 'Mummy won't leave me alone and keeps on hugging me', he complained. Arthur assured him that she would get over it. She did. The second was that she started to slate Arthur on one of the chat networks. That got her some of the sympathy she wanted but it was empty support and, after a month, particularly after a warning letter from Isobel about possible accusations of slander, she piped down.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.