Desiderata - Cover

Desiderata

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 4

Gerry was indeed sad that Isobel had not wanted to come out to supper with him. It was not that he had upset her. She had seemed reluctant from the beginning. He wondered why. She had played hard to get on the hockey too but had given in and appeared to have enjoyed herself. Perhaps she was playing hard to get. That was not a bad thing in itself.

He thought back. Apart from lunch together after their first meeting and the hockey today it had all been business and professional. True she had shown a sense of humour during or particularly either side of their business meetings but that showed nothing other than that she was a girl of character and charm. Yes, charm and he had been charmed. She was clearly very bright. A Master's Degree at her age proved it. Character too. She tempered her ability with warmth and wit. She had firm views too although those she had talked about had not been that deep. She was physically attractive too even though she was a bit taller than him. He had become used to that though even though he admitted to a yen for a petite little woman. So what was he to do? Enjoy her company while dealing professionally with her or do that and try to get her to come out on a personal and social level? It had to be the latter. She was a special girl and he was not going to let her go easily.

Isobel's mind was in turmoil too. Had she messed up a good professional relationship? Hardly. That did not involve going to hockey matches or turning down supper dates. So had she mucked up a developing friendship? Again she did not think so. Their parting had been friendly and her excuses while not entirely true had been valid. So why had she made those excuses? Gerry was fun, intelligent and seemingly decent. She also had to admit that she found him quite attractive in a funny sort of way. He certainly was no Adonis with that oddly proportioned body and flaming red hair. On the other hand, he was far from ugly, clearly had a very good mind and a delightful sense of humour. And his eyes, brilliant blue and sparkling with energy and humour.

She thought back to her childhood. Immediately there was bitterness. Why had her parents bothered to have children? They could hardly have made the same mistake twice though. They were so caught up in each other. Their children were minor factors. Yes they were fed and clothed and they were shown affection when their parents were not high on cannabis or making love. Her parents were mad about each other to the exclusion of all else except when her father was away on business when her mother became overpoweringly loving. Her father was fun and loving when he came home but all too soon would get high and want no one but her mother. That is why she had left home after Bristol.

Then at school she had become classed as a nerd. She was shy because of her family. She was naturally bright and, because she did not make friends easily, she concentrated on her work and did very well academically. She found she could do cross-country running quite well but that was hardly a crowd puller. Hockey was the school sport ever since they had won the tournament at Edinburgh. It was not Isobel's game. She lacked the necessary coordination.

As a thirteen year-old Isobel had established a particular friendship with a girl called Gwen. She was someone Isobel could confide in and Gwen did the same. It did Isobel a lot of good and she began to come out of herself. In fact, Gwen became a prop and a reassurance. That went on for two years until Gwen was selected for the hockey XI and became totally caught up with the other members of the team. Isobel did not fit so Gwen abandoned her. That very nearly destroyed Isobel. She felt let down and neglected. What made it worse was that they had declared undying friendship. Isobel had been rejected and it wounded her to her core. There was no comfort from her parents. She had long ago given up taking emotional problems to her mother. It said much for Isobel's strength of character that she continued to do well academically and win a scholarship to Bristol. Indeed this was the only aspect of her life she enjoyed. She stopped bothering about how she looked and instead of being the pretty girl she was became a frump. Her parents did not seem to notice.

It was the same at university. She kept herself to herself and her looks attracted no young men. Fortunately, her tutors realised what a gifted girl she was and gave her all the encouragement they could. It was in the second year of her Masters that Gill Ogilvie, a matronly woman in her fifties, took her in hand.

"Isobel, my dear, if you're ever going to get a job you're going to have to do something about your appearance. No one will want a ratbag as an articled clerk."

Isobel had shrugged nonchalantly at the time but, reflecting on it later, realised that Gill was right. First of all she had her hair done including having it dyed blonde. Gill was approving and encouraging so Isobel set about getting some smarter clothes. She did manage to borrow some money from her father for this.

The effect was gratifying and she started to be asked to things by other students. She did though maintain a distance and they in turn noticed her protective shell. One young man decided to try and crack it. He received short shrift. Isobel was not going to become reliant on anyone ever again.

When she presented herself for interview at Barnes and Honey, Henry Honey snapped up this smart, pretty vivacious and well qualified young woman. Isobel sensed no danger in him and a friendship developed. He developed an avuncular affection for her to which she responded. That did not mean she confided her private and inner thoughts to him though.

Isobel sighed. She had re-erected the carapace as far as Gerry was concerned.

She managed to obtain a slot at the Family Court for a Friday in six weeks' time and told the secretary that they might be calling Larry as a witness. The secretary confirmed that she would ensure appropriate arrangements. Isobel warned all concerned including the minx's solicitor, telling him that Gerry had taken the case. That caused some fluttering in the henhouse and a demanding telephone call to Arthur Corsellis. He refused to be drawn merely saying that he wanted to get various matters regarding Larry's custody and upbringing sorted once and for all and that bringing in a barrister had been his solicitor's advice. That caused a tantrum but the minx then became scrupulously correct in her dealings with him.

When Isobel rang Gerry he once again tried to persuade her to go out with him but she gently albeit firmly refused him.

Gerry was nonplussed. He did not hold any false pretensions about being even a bit of a lady's man but he had never been turned down for no apparent reason before. He could think of nothing he had said or done which might have upset her. It was not as though she was a shy, retiring mouse. Far from it! She seemed a complete extrovert.

It was then that Henry Honey did something in all innocence. The wives had been in contact and Sir Norman and his wife, Anthea, invited for the weekend which included a dinner party on the Saturday evening. Among others the Honeys invited Isobel and Gerry. Both arrived in innocence of the other being invited. Gerry was delighted to see her. Isobel, despite an initial lurch of the stomach, was pleased to see him too. They greeted each other friendlily and before long were chatting as ever easily and happily together. They were seated next to each other at dinner as well. Naturally they did not talk exclusively to each other but a lot nevertheless.

The Honeys were old-fashioned enough for the ladies to withdraw before liqueurs were served and Isobel had time to reflect on how she felt about Gerry. She had to admit that she liked him and found him warm and amusing but she could not risk letting herself respond to him any more than she had.

Gerry ensured that his departure coincided with Isobel's. He walked with her to her car.

"Isobel, I hope I haven't upset you in any way."

Isobel felt that lurch in her stomach again. "No, Gerry."

"Why do you always turn down my invitations to do something together?"

Isobel bit her lip and looked down at the ground. He deserved an answer. She looked up again.

"I like you too much but I can't let myself get involved."

That was entirely truthful even though it left a lot unsaid. Gerry realised that and his response was equally careful.

"OK, I can quite understand that but I enjoy your company and really would like to see more of you. I promise not to put pressure on you for anything other than that. Please change your mind."

Isobel looked at him steadily. There was no guile in his eyes although she did discern some pleading.

"All right," she said softly.

Gerry resisted the urge to take her hands. Instead he beamed delightedly. "Thank you," he said. "You've made my evening and now I'm going to strike while the iron's hot. I'm playing hockey at Richmond next Saturday afternoon. May I pick you up on the way home and take you for a pub supper at Atheldiston?"

Isobel smiled. "I'd like that."

"Goody! I'll ring you when I'm on my way but I guess I'll be with you at about half past six."

"You're on."

"Thanks, Isobel. Au revoir."

He held her door for her and then watched her drive away. He was little short of ecstatic.

Isobel was not. She did like him quite a lot. She thoroughly enjoyed his company. It was vigorous and amusing but the more she appreciated it the more she was going to be drawn to him and that must not happen. She could not and therefore must not let herself be drawn into another intimate relationship which could only turn sour. Could? Would! It might only be could but she could not trust that. She had trusted Gwen and what had happened. All right, she had committed herself to seeing him again but she was going to make absolutely sure that it did not get out of hand.

The pub supper was a success for both of them. Gerry was well known at The Crown. It was full of people, all of whom Gerry seemed to know. She met her landlord, Rupert Cavendish and his wife, Henrietta. She liked them both. She met Court and Libby Williams who were also fun. She had CDs of Libby playing Chopin and Beethoven and worshipped her. She also met Court's father, Ewan Williams or Sir Ewan Williams as he now was, and was slightly surprised to find him enjoying himself and being totally accepted by everyone. There were others, delightful people, rich and not so rich, whose names she could not begin to remember. It was a warm, friendly evening. Gerry was there always but never intruding. They had their own table and talked non-stop: the theatre, music, people in the pub, hockey inevitably, Gerry's boyhood but nothing of her family life or Gwen.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.