Desiderata
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

It was a silent drive to The Trout. Now that they were away from the office both were shy and tongue-tied. Once they had their drinks and ordered a bar lunch they started to talk albeit still a bit stiltedly.

"So where do you live, Gerry?" Isobel asked.

"Atheldiston. Do you know it?"

"Yes. I've been to the pub there a couple of times for dinner. Have you lived there long?"

"A couple of years. My parents moved there when my father retired. With a flat in London I can't afford somewhere in the country as well. I come home most weekends. I don't enjoy London as a place. I'm a country bumpkin at heart."

"I know what you mean. My parents live locally but, in my case, after university and law school I didn't want to move back in with them. Luckily I found a little cottage at Carlton Parva which needed a lot doing to it and got it cheaply. I'm still working on it slowly."

"How long have you been there?"

"Four years."

"I reckon you've done better than me. You live in the country and can easily get to work with a well respected firm of solicitors. I ought to have been a solicitor rather than a barrister."

"Why did you choose the bar?"

Gerry smiled deprecatingly. "Vanity. I rather fancied myself prancing around in a wig and a gown."

Isobel smiled back. "On the other hand you must be pretty good at it for Sir Norman to have recommended you to such a 'well respected firm of solicitors'."

Gerry looked slightly bashful. "He's an old softy too. He knows I like to get out of London, particularly in this direction. Anyway, enough of me. Are you a native?"

"Oh arr! Born and bred here. The only times I've been away were to go to Bristol University and to law school."

"Did you read law at Bristol?"

"No. English and Philosophy."

"No wonder you have a way with words."

Isobel smiled shyly.

"So when did you decide to go into law?"

"In my third year. My tutor suggested it and I did a bit of research and was taken with the idea."

"Where did you go?"

"I stayed at Bristol and did the two-year Master's course."

"And then?"

"I became articled to Henry Honey."

"That's impressive."

Isobel looked down shyly. Neither said anything for a short while during which their food arrived.

"You didn't hang about much yourself it would seem."

"Much the same as you but I took a gap year after school."

"What did you do with it?"

"Played a lot of hockey to start with and then went and helped on a sheep farm in New Zealand for eight months."

"Was that fun?"

"Yes. They were a delightful family but you certainly had to earn your keep. I ate like a horse and still lost half a stone."

"Even as a fit young man and after all the hockey?" she teased.

"Mmm," he mumbled through a mouthful of baguette. He swallowed under her amused look. "I told you: it was hard work."

"And what was all the hockey?"

"Pitsbury, Wiltshire and a few games for South West Region."

"Golly! You're good."

Gerry shrugged. "Not good enough to play for Region regularly."

"Well I reckon county's pretty good."

"Do you play?"

Isobel shook her head. "Not since the third eleven at school. What position do you play?"

"Preferably right wing but failing that centre forward."

"With your long legs you're probably pretty swift."

"An observant lady too!"

Isobel blushed. "Sorry! That was rude of me."

"Not at all. I'm flattered that you took such an interest in my appearance."

"Please don't let it go to your head."

Gerry smiled. "Little chance of that." He changed the subject back to her. "Have you specialised entirely in family law?"

"Oh Heavens no. It probably takes up no more than thirty per cent of my work although it tends to take more time, perhaps because it's never straight forward."

Gerry ran Isobel back to Pitsbury. She said she would be in touch once she had fixed a date for him to meet Arthur Corsellis but that would be at least ten days with him being abroad again.

"Nice girl," thought Gerry as he drove home. "Pretty too but am I really so out of proportion that she noticed the length of my legs or is she particularly observant?" He gave a mental shrug and thought no more of her.

Isobel's thoughts were much the same. "I enjoyed that," she said to herself. "He's easy to talk to and amusing. Doing this case with him ought to be fun."

Isobel wrote to Arthur Corsellis that afternoon to invite him to meet Gerry. It would make no difference to when he received it but she was getting it out of the way and there was no chance she would forget about it. She did not fail to stipulate Friday mornings or Monday afternoons.

He rang on Monday week and said that Friday mornings were ideal for him the weekends that he was collecting Larry. He was off abroad again the following Thursday to Tuesday but the Friday after that would suit him well. They made a provisional appointment for ten o'clock. Isobel would only get back to him if Gerry was unavailable. She asked him if this weekend had been free from aggravations.

"Yes, thank goodness. She still hasn't had his hair cut but it appears that she's rationing his sweets. I'd take him to the barber myself but I shudder to think what the repercussions would be." He gave a bark of mirthless laughter. "Probably try to get us back in court for interfering in her rights of care. Oh well."

"I feel for you, Mr Corsellis, but with any luck and Mr du Puys acting for you things may take a turn for the better in a few months' time. I think you'll like him and there's no doubt that he's very astute."

"I look forward to meeting him. By the way, thank you for the good news about the fee. Every penny helps."

"I'm glad. Well, all things being equal I'll see you on Friday week. Goodbye, Mr Corsellis."

She rang Gerry.

"Hello, Isobel. It's good to hear you. Have you managed to fix a date then?"

"I have indeed. Friday week but I'm afraid you may have to have a slightly earlier breakfast."

Gerry groaned. "What time?"

"Ten."

Gerry groaned again. "Slave driver. However, as you'll be working me a long weekend I mustn't be greedy. I'll be there."

"Is there anything you want me to do before the meeting?"

"No thanks, Isobel. This is really no more than a getting to know the client meeting and to see his reactions to the way I envisage things going."

"Fine."

"Will you join me for lunch again afterwards?"

"I'd love to on condition that I pay this time."

"We'll discuss that on the day."

"Before we go to the pub."

"Bully!"

Isobel laughed. "Yup!" she said cheerfully. "Look forward to seeing you."

"Me too, Isobel. 'Bye."

"'Bye."

Gerry turned up ten minutes early for the meeting. Isobel was grateful and said so.

"Oh, the sacrifices I make for you, Miss Harris! Trailing down to the back of beyond..."

"Rubbish!"

"No brisk early morning walk with the dogs to fire up the mind..."

"Rubbish!"

"And an early breakfast."

"Rubbish again. The only ones to miss out were the dogs."

"Ah, but I may not be quite my usual incisive self for your valued client."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.